Quantcast

08 FSA Afterburner

pHeller

Monkey
Nov 5, 2007
I'm looking for a set of cranks to replace FSA's that had the pedal threads cross-thread. :disgust1:

I'm an aggressive, heavy rider, but I hate lugging around more weight than I have too. I don't go too huge, but hit the occasional 4'-6' drop and do some dirt jumping as well.

I have a crash replacement discount through FSA for %35 off a new set of cranks, and I've been eyeing the following:

FSA Afterburner
FSA Gravity Light
FSA Gap
Shimano Hone
Shimano XT

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
The Afterburners are questionable durability wise. If you can get some cheap FSAs, I'd go for a Gravity Light.

pHeller

Monkey
Nov 5, 2007
I'm not considering the Vendettas because they are heavier and more expensive than all my options, especially to run a dual ring setup.

When you say questionable durability, where do you draw your conclusions from? Have you seen someone break or bend them?

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
I have seen two with stripped pedal threads, one with an arm bent so badly that it hit the chainstay, and one with a fvcked up spindle interface.

pHeller

Monkey
Nov 5, 2007
Spindle interface? On a MegaExo setup?

A bent arm would be hard to do on a full suspension bike, but the stripped pedal threads are what killed my old FSA's.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
There's still a spindle in an external bearing setup. It's just attached to one arm.

The bent arm was done on a FS.

pHeller

Monkey
Nov 5, 2007
Hmmm...considering I have heard of people bending Gravity Lights and XT's and Hones, I have to wonder if my likelyhood of bending one crankset is different from any other.

Sir_Crackien

Turbo Monkey
Feb 7, 2004
alex. va. usa.
don't get the afterburns because they are a light xc crank and do not take kindly to beatings.

i love for gravity lights if you are not too hard on cranks or the gaps if you are.

Rip

Mr. Excitement
Feb 3, 2002
Over there somewhere.
I've destroyed a set of afterburners after two months and I'm a very smooth rider, very easy on parts. Ran a set of XT's after that for awhile and just one month ago threw on a Gravity Light crankset. I'd openly recommend a gravity light crankset if you are a smoother rider.

pHeller

Monkey
Nov 5, 2007
I'm not very hard on cranks. The only reason I bent an older (2000) set of XT's is because I was running them on my DJ bike.

Why did you swap out the XT's?

I like the Gravity Lights, I'm just not sure if I want to take on the weight. I'm not really doing huge jumps or drops, at least not yet.

pHeller

Monkey
Nov 5, 2007
What is the MSRP for the Gravity Lights?

FSA tells me they are over $260, but other retailers say anywhere between 210 and 260. If the MSRP is 210, I could get them for a steal!

Also, is it true that you can drop considerable weight by shedding the the poly bashgaurd and plastic BB sleeve?

pHeller

Monkey
Nov 5, 2007
Man...now I'm really torn.

After seeing the new SLX cranks I'm weary to spend good money on crankset now that will be outdone by the SLX next year.

Maybe I should just get a set of LX's now and hold off on spending good money till SLX comes out.

w00dy

In heaven there is no beer
Jun 18, 2004
that's why we drink it here
I know you said you want something light, but i have to interject an opinion. If you're a heavier guy and you do some drops then you're bound to be hard on cranks. I've always considered the cranks an item that needs to be overbuilt, and as a result I've run profiles almost exclusively.
They're steel, and they're chunky, but they make up for it in durability, stiffness, and peace of mind. You can find a set for pretty cheap too. FSA makes a very similar set. I suggest you check them out, if for no other reason than the steel pedal threads. They're not that much heavier than some of the options you're considering.