Quantcast

08 marzocchi 66 ATA opinions

bsphere

Chimp
Aug 14, 2004
i'm considering to replace my 2006 170mm 66rc2x with an 2008 66 ata (both for reducing a little weight and selling my getting-old fork before it won't be worth anything).

does anyone have any experience with the 2008 ata forks ?

does this deal look suspicious ?
http://cgi.ebay.com/New-2008-Marzocchi-Suspension-Fork-66-ATA-140-180mm_W0QQitemZ200202718691QQihZ010QQcategoryZ58085QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQ_trksidZp1638.m118.l1247QQcmdZViewItem

i'm not living in the USA and getting this fork will cost less than HALF!!! of the price here.. (the local distributor extremely raised the prices for the 08 models for some reason)

Sep 1, 2007
16 powers st BKLN NY
The fork looks like a "gray market" Ebay fork. It will be the genuine article, but it might (probably) won't be covered by Marz warranty.

We have a slew of 08 ATA stuff and so far it's shown itself to be an improvement from last year, though only time will tell.

ridiculous

Turbo Monkey
Jan 18, 2005
MD / NoVA
Dont know to much about 08 but i loved my 07 when it wasnt winding down. However, if yours start to wind down the fix for it is very easy. I did notice a little flex in the fork, but once all the pressures are tuned the perfromance out weighed any cons.

Renegade

Monkey
Sep 6, 2001
Why would you want to sell your perfectly good RC2X for a fork like the ATA? There has not been enough mileage put on 2008 ata models to tell if the windown issue has been fixed. For your reference, I am the author of the ATA windown fix and the PAR piston removal procedures posted here and at MTBR. I recently inspected a 2007 66ata that was warrantied for the windown issue; Marz. is using an additional coating on the portion of the inner ata shaft were the detents are, and they are using detent springs that are even stiffer than the ones I spec'ed for my wind down fix. The jury is out, and will be for a while, untill riders get some mileage in on their forks, and they are disassembled and inspected. Personally, I don't believe the coating will provide the inner shaft enough protection againts the even stiffer detent springs; the original coating was a type three or hard annodize over aluminum.
Your RC2X is by far a superior fork; I suggest you keep it, and not worry about resale value. Bushings and seals can easily be replaced, rejuvenating your current fork.

bsphere

Chimp
Aug 14, 2004
Why would you want to sell your perfectly good RC2X for a fork like the ATA? There has not been enough mileage put on 2008 ata models to tell if the windown issue has been fixed. For your reference, I am the author of the ATA windown fix and the PAR piston removal procedures posted here and at MTBR. I recently inspected a 2007 66ata that was warrantied for the windown issue; Marz. is using an additional coating on the portion of the inner ata shaft were the detents are, and they are using detent springs that are even stiffer than the ones I spec'ed for my wind down fix. The jury is out, and will be for a while, untill riders get some mileage in on their forks, and they are disassembled and inspected. Personally, I don't believe the coating will provide the inner shaft enough protection againts the even stiffer detent springs; the original coating was a type three or hard annodize over aluminum.
Your RC2X is by far a superior fork; I suggest you keep it, and not worry about resale value. Bushings and seals can easily be replaced, rejuvenating your current fork.
I don't live in the USA and the second hand market here is pretty tough, in few months I won't be able to sell my fork here at a decent price and maybe at all (even now i'm a little late), and with the price of this deal (mainly because of the low dollar rate) the money I need to add for the 08 one after selling mine is a joke.

do you think i'll be disappointed with this fork going from an 06 rc2x ?

Renegade

Monkey
Sep 6, 2001
I don't live in the USA and the second hand market here is pretty tough, in few months I won't be able to sell my fork here at a decent price and maybe at all (even now i'm a little late), and with the price of this deal (mainly because of the low dollar rate) the money I need to add for the 08 one after selling mine is a joke.

do you think i'll be disappointed with this fork going from an 06 rc2x ?
Yes, I think you will be disappointed. I have owned an '0766sl, and an '06 model. The '07 has been plagued with the auto wind down issue, the lack of full travel issue; the way the PAR system operates the fork performs very differently at both ends of it's travel adjustability. The only advantage it has is that you can change the travel. The quality of that travel in no way compares to the quality of the RC2X. You would be downgrading your fork, in my opinion.
I replaced the ata cartridge with an X-cartridge, and sold that fork. I put a 150mm X-cart in my '06 66sl, and couldn't be happier. There is NO comparison between the ata and the RC2X fork.
You sound concerned about resale value of your RC2X. I would recommend you shift your thinking to being concerned anout the performance of your fork, and it's value to YOU, as a rider, and not worry about it's resale value to someone else.

davet

Monkey
Jun 24, 2004
I've got an 08 66 ATA and I'm pretty happy with it. I have been riding it for a few months, the wind down issue appears to have been solved. It's easy to setup, the travel adjust works well. I find the damping every bit as good as my 07 888 RC2X WC and better than the Totem 2-step that it replaced.

But....I'd agree with Renegade. It's not going to be a drastic improvement (if at all) over your 66 RC2X. The weight savings would be small, and you know your 06 is not going to give you a minutes problem anywhere down the line. My couple of months on the 08 hardly consider it "proven". I'll have a better judgement at the end of the year.

Don't worry about the resale, you lost most of that after the first ride.

bsphere

Chimp
Aug 14, 2004
the amount of cash I need to add to upgrade to a new model year is a joke. it's a very smart move on the economic side. just wanted to hear if the 08 ata forks are any good and that the damping quality are similar to my rc2x, i'm not looking for a drastic improvement there.

bsphere

Chimp
Aug 14, 2004
so.. can anyone comment if they fixed the wind down and full travel issues from the 07 model ?