Quantcast

08 turner dhr actual geometry's. Upgrade from old dhr?

craigyboy

Chimp
Aug 21, 2005
Just wondering if anyone has some actual geometry measurements from an 08 dhr, I have checked the website and I don't know if they are spot on as they sometimes are a bit off. I have the opportunity to buy an 08 frame in small size which suits me perfect so I'm just doing a bit of research. Currently running a drilled 05 dhr and I love it but at 44lbs with a lightish build it's a bit of a pig, just weighing up weather it's much of an upgrade to an 08 model. Currently I have 14" bb height, 45.5" wheelbase with I reckon a 64.5 h/a.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
I had both. Still on my '08.
The biggest difference is size. MANY people where between the large and the med. The current large has the same wheelbase as an drilled '05 med.
For a small, I have no idea what the numbers are. Everybody I know with one is tall.
The main pivot on the '08 is a downgrade. Not sure what they were thinking. People had issues installing the bearings so they scraped the whole system and when to the same design as the Highline, which resembles the pivots on an '02 DHR. Basically, horribly undersized and a maintenance nightmare.
It's the only downfall of that bike IMO.

Chridi

Chimp
Oct 15, 2008
Turner's geochart is pretty much spot on.
With a slammed 40 I measure the WB at 1135mm and the BBH at 362mm. Thats both 3mm shorter/lower than what Turner states.

Cant tell on the HA for sure... Photoshop once told me its at 63,8* with a 32mm Boxxer raised by 1cm.
By hearsay 1cm in axle to crown diff. makes up for 0,5*. Hence the HA might be around 64,5* as well. ?

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
Mine was dead on 64 degree head angle and 46" wheelbase in medium with 13.9" BB. That's with Michelin Comp 16 2.5's front and rear and an 08 Boxxer.

You can run 170's on it without smacking cranks all that much.

thad

Monkey
Sep 28, 2004
I compared my drilled M 05 DHR to my buddy's 08 DHR. WB was the same, wanna say 46.5". 05 had slightly lower BB, 13.8" vs. 14.1 ish, and a slightly longer CS at 16.75" vs. 16.5". We traded bikes, very similar feel. The 05 is slightly more stable at speed, '08 a little poppier out of corners, but very close.

You don't have a "lightish" build, if your '05 is 44 lbs. Mine is at 39 lbs, and that's with tubes, coil springs, real tires, and heavy-ish wheels.

craigyboy

Chimp
Aug 21, 2005
Cheers for the replys guys, not sure weather I will change it or not. Been running this tank since I bought it new in 05 just got really bored with it now. Also last year it let me down a bit with a couple of cracks appearing (turner were kind enough to patch them up for me though.). Just starting to worry it might be coming near the end of it's working life now.

Thad I have had this bike built up with various parts over the last 5 and a bit years and never got it below 42lbs. Still a great bike but my brother just built up a 36lb mondraker summon and that bike is scary quick across the ground.

This is it about a year ago with a fresh powdercoat, not so shiny now and the world cups have gone with teams in there place.

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
The L I had with an '09 888 and Maxxis 2.5's was 47.0" WB, 14.0" BB, and right around 64* HA.

That bike had some serious drawbacks besides the main pivot, but Turner did send out some updated hardware without question which was nice.

thad

Monkey
Sep 28, 2004
I have considered a new bike as well. My main complaint with the square tube DHR is the limited shock choice, I'd like to try a newer shock. Also the needle bearings kinda blow, but I have found running a tube mudflap over the shock helps alot. I have swapped bikes with a several people this season, TR450, Legend, V10, etc, and I really don't notice a significant difference. The DHR has dialed geometry, nice leverage ratio, it's stiff, it's just a good bike. A new frame would save a pound, maybe two, but I figure I could sell my current bike complete for $1200, maybe $1500, which doesn't even get me close to covering a new frame. I decided to keep the DHR, fresh powder and a few new parts. It is fun to have shiny new toys, though...

If you just want to get it under 40lb, which is not hard, SLX or XT cranks, thomson seatpost, Ti spring would get you close. Can't tell from the pics, but if you have heavy DH tubes and a cheap cogset, switching to XC tubes or welterweights, and an ultegra cogset. 7" rear rotor and adaptor is cheap savings, and I have not noticed any loss of power, and all I ride is 4000ft descents with relentless steeps.

Last edited:

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Yeah published numbers from turner were pretty spot on with those frames. I think my bb height was a tad lower but that's tires, fork height, headset etc....

Never had a problem with the main pivot on my 08.

Simply put, I wouldn't say the geo is enough to get the frame since you're pretty close with your square tuber. About the only reason is weight. They're definitely lighter. BUT the rear end isn't as stiff.

craigyboy

Chimp
Aug 21, 2005
Cheers guys, doesent seem like much point in changing to the tubed version at all then. Just need to put it on a diet. I am running a wee mud flap too thad it really helps keep it clean around there, I have had no problems with my needle bearings in the swing links and I have had the same ones in for 3 years now, there greased every other week which has kept them smooth. I am running an ultegra cassette but certainly my cranks, stem bars etc are a bit heavy. I took this bike to France last year and it ran faultless for the whole time I was there, they just seem to be bulletproof (once turner have welded up a couple of issues)