Quantcast

09 SX trail Crank arm length...

SXjT

Chimp
Dec 10, 2009
I've just bought a 09 SXt frame (medium, Gold) and I can’t wait to get it out on the trail now:D
Anyway I'm in the process of looking for components to build it up. I'm looking to fit the lighter end of the AM scale rather than the heavier DH end as I'll still need to pedal it uphill some of the time.
During my recent searching I have found a shop selling Gravity Light MegaExo crankset reduced by £100!! Problem being that they only have them in 165mm or 175mm. I know the built up bike comes with 170mm cranks. So my question is, will it really make that much of a difference to fit the 165mm and just rise the seat the differing 5mm??
Or I could also get an SLX crankset in 170mm for the same price as the Gravity Lights. Should I just get those instead
I'm also considering some Truvativ stylo AM 2.2 (what comes on the built up bike). I’ve heard some negative things about these though.

Any help or advice on which crankset and how important the crankarm length is would be much appreciated. Infact any suggestions on components for this build would be fantastic

Cheers :thumb:
J

oldfart

Turbo Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
North Van
Go 175. 165 are a bit short far even me at 5'5" for the pedaling bits. However if you are seeking better clearance go 165. The length is not a huge issue. Shorter may feel a bit odd for a bit and it won't provide optimal pedaling efficiency, but you will adapt pdq.

Personaly I will only use Shimano cranks for a mountainbike. No one makes better shifting rings or better bb's (other than maybe a Chris King) and the attachment is very simple to understand and use. No stupid spacers or springs.

sassmatt72

Chimp
Dec 2, 2009
crank arm length is really key in relation to your leg length, in specific I've been told (by the builder of my fitted bike) that it relates to the length of your upper leg bone. I've got short legs and a long torso, so he told me to go with 165mm crank arms, after a month or more of learning how to get my cadence right, I love my shorter cranks now. I notice (for me) much less discomfort in my knees and ankles.
good luck, Matt
p.s. you might want to get a "fit kit pro" done so you have some factual numbers to work from to build the bike that really fits you. matt

Arkayne

I come bearing GIFs
May 10, 2005
SoCal
I'm 5'6" and average, appendage wise. I've got 175's on my SXT and am cracking rocks left and right. If I could start over, I'd do 170.