Quantcast

0_o weed is now legal in Canada wed GMT o_0

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
I think the wife is ready to quit her job. Her boss is as a mean bastard unfortunately.
Same here. They are now forcing my wife to do weekend shifts without compensation, saying this is normal for salaried employees, everything off the official record of course. Unfortunately she dug herself a deep hole by working for these assholes for 12+ years in a fairly specialized role so she is very pessimistic she can find another job, ever. If we don't fix this, I see a risk of us departing this city or possibly even the country in a not too distant future.

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
Same here. They are now forcing my wife to do weekend shifts without compensation, saying this is normal for salaried employees, everything off the official record of course. Unfortunately she dug herself a deep hole by working for these assholes for 12+ years in a fairly specialized role so she is very pessimistic she can find another job, ever. If we don't fix this, I see a risk of us departing this city or possibly even the country in a not too distant future.
My reply would be ok so you will be in the office with me all weekend too Mr Salaried boss.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
i work nights/weekends depending on what’s going on, but i also have the flexibility to then take fuckit fridays, mountains mondays, etc...

grey day...feeling sluggish. c’mon coffee, do yo thang.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
'Morning. 2600 yard swim done before work. Meetings pretty much all day at work, which sucks because I won't get anything done, but it's also kind of cool because I won't have to do any actual work.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Damn, I should have bought some edibles before today. I'm assuming most of the "stores" on weedmaps are going to dry up. :(

Ready for tonights ride. Looks like its going to be near the freezing mark. Need to see if I can leave work early to go pick up my Guide brakes, which came back from warranty. No new brakes, they only put new internals in. :(

StiHacka

Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Have you considered telling them to fuck right off?
That's what she's been telling them for years but her new management is new. As it turns out, your employer has the right to ask you to work 24/7 without overtime pay if you fall in the salaried exempt-from-overtime category, which is pretty much every educated professional making more than $25k/year in this country (some states have higher threshold, MA's threshold is $80/week); and they can fire you when you fail to comply. I learn something new every day.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
That's what she's been telling them for years but her new management is new. As it turns out, your employer has the right to ask you to work 24/7 without overtime pay if you fall in the salaried exempt-from-overtime category, which is pretty much every educated professional making more than $25k/year in this country (some states have higher threshold, MA's threshold is $80/week); and they can fire you when you fail to comply. I learn something new every day.
Man that's absolutely balls. Granted I assume its different up here, but I listen to this employment settlement type lawyer dude on talk radio on Sundays quite a bit. One thing that he always brings up, is that if you start agreeing or actually doing something, ie working extra hours, working from home etc etc and it goes on for a period of time, its expected of you to keep doing that. That's when they can terminate you with cause. But if you never start doing that stuff, then there can be no expectation to comply with something that you've never performed before.

Its like those fools who continue to work on holidays. You do it enough and you'll set the expectations that its a normal thing. And then when you don't do it.......well, it aint good.

This is why I am out the door come 4-5pm and why I simply ignore ALL work crap while on MY time off or vacation. Fuck being a slave. I'm on salary with no overtime benefits and its a steep hill to fall down, once you start sliding.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Morning off from work. 1.5 days of work then a long weekend in Seattle.

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL
Man that's absolutely balls. Granted I assume its different up here, but I listen to this employment settlement type lawyer dude on talk radio on Sundays quite a bit. One thing that he always brings up, is that if you start agreeing or actually doing something, ie working extra hours, working from home etc etc and it goes on for a period of time, its expected of you to keep doing that. That's when they can terminate you with cause. But if you never start doing that stuff, then there can be no expectation to comply with something that you've never performed before.

Its like those fools who continue to work on holidays. You do it enough and you'll set the expectations that its a normal thing. And then when you don't do it.......well, it aint good.

This is why I am out the door come 4-5pm and why I simply ignore ALL work crap while on MY time off or vacation. Fuck being a slave. I'm on salary with no overtime benefits and its a steep hill to fall down, once you start sliding.
Last time someone ask me to do more work for the same money (work week from 35 to 40hrs) I said fuck it and left! One month later when they could not fill my position I was hired as a sub-contractor for twice the money. :brows:

StiHacka

Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!

Well the second part of the story is that salaried employment is "at will" here so either party can terminate the employment relationship without cause. That means that job changes are also completely unrestricted because they are basically termination of your previous agreement and start the new one. If you don't like your new duties / your new weekend assignments, good bye.

Which is fair and fine as it works the same for both parties, only my wife got herself in a vulnerable position because she worked for her employer for far too long.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Well the second part of the story is that salaried employment is "at will" here so either party can terminate the employment relationship without cause. That means that job changes are also completely unrestricted because they are basically termination of your previous agreement and start the new one. If you don't like your new duties / your new weekend assignments, good bye.

Which is fair and fine as it works the same for both parties, only my wife got herself in a vulnerable position because she worked for her employer for far too long.
you can always play hardball and try to call their bluff. refuse to work the extra time unless there's a salary increase. state that this is beyond the roles and responsibilities of her current function and that if they want her to do that much more, they're gonna have to pay more. but be prepared to be terminated (but then there's always unemployment).

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
Fuck that! If she feels like they have her by the proverbial balls, she likely has them by the balls. Time for a vacation!

I did not get called in to the refrigeration systems last night. Yippie. It is because I turned off the barking dog before I went home. I will turn it back on this AM and deal with the ensuing floodbacks. Silly 65 yr old systems can be high maintenance.

I rode my bike on Monday. It was fantastic until the mild sprain, bouncing across some rocks. DOH

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
https://cases.justia.com/alaska/supreme-court/2014-s-14864.pdf?ts=1415988034

https://aloinc.com/alaska-overtime/

Yeah, they used to use that BS keep us on a short line when I was a flight instructor, require us to do all sorts of meetings and other tasks without pay. It got better over time by standing up to mgmt, but it was a still a lot more work than you ended up getting paid for and when you look up the concept of exempt, it's for professionals assumed to be making 100K or more. The idea is that like a Doctor, you may work odd and variable hours, but your overall compensation makes up for it. Then of course this was applied to regular old "teachers" of any kind and anything else they could lump in there. It's criminal how this is used in some cases and situations. Right now I'm exempt, but I'm actually legitimately exempt. One grade lower though is non-exempt and there I was able to earn overtime. Currently, I only get comp-time except for rare cases, but that in of itself is pretty good. I don't work anything I'm not compensated for in some way.

The court case above is some helicopter pilots that sued for similar reasons. This is also similar to how Fed Ex tried to say all of their drivers are simply "independent contractors" and not really Fed Ex employees...despite the huge "Fed Ex" on the side of their trucks. Of course, business is always good, right?

Last edited:

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
I thought weed was the official Canadian national plant already?

Salary work is BS for the most part. Pretty much a way to force people to work a shit ton of hours for the same money. Which of course you usually find out after getting hired.

junkyard

You might feel a little prick.
Sep 1, 2015
San Diego
So karla never came to bed last night, she had been drinking so sometimes that happens. I found her on the couch covered in paint, she decided to paint the deck last night. She did an ok job of it, theres some splater and a dog walked on it. Not sure if i should be happy or drug test her.

The weirdest thing happened yesterday. This women came in wanting to rent a truck storage yard. She looked like a rich ex stripper that was 45. Fake ass and tits all glamed up. Said she was from ornge county. But wanted a lease so she could get her LLC and start her buisness and wanted to prepay 3 months. So many red flags, i think its some sort of scam. Especially because i had a similar thing happen last week. But the women wasnt trashy at all and was driving a porche. I guess im profiling her. But in the world of renting out truck storage, there isnt really any hot women in charge.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
So karla never came to bed last night, she had been drinking so sometimes that happens. I found her on the couch covered in paint, she decided to paint the deck last night. She did an ok job of it, theres some splater and a dog walked on it. Not sure if i should be happy or drug test her.

The weirdest thing happened yesterday. This women came in wanting to rent a truck storage yard. She looked like a rich ex stripper that was 45. Fake ass and tits all glamed up. Said she was from ornge county. But wanted a lease so she could get her LLC and start her buisness and wanted to prepay 3 months. So many red flags, i think its some sort of scam. Especially because i had a similar thing happen last week. But the women wasnt trashy at all and was driving a porche. I guess im profiling her. But in the world of renting out truck storage, there isnt really any hot women in charge.
could be a serial killer

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
<snip>
I'm starting to think that, perhaps, we should have YOU drug tested. :confused:

:D