Quantcast

1.5 & 1 1/8: Reducer Cups or Reducer Headset

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
If you had a FR bike with a 1.5 headtube and you were planning on using a 1 1/8 steerer fork, would you use reducer cups (from E.13) or a reducer headset (from FSA)?

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
i'd go with the e13 reducer cups for the low stack height.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
If you want a low stack height and half degree steeper headangle, go with the E.13 cups. That not being everyone's cup-o-tea, if you don't want your headangle any steeper, you'll want to go with a reducing headset.

I'd go with the cups for several reasons: A) to support a good company, B) multiple brands of bearings will work in case you ever fry one (any bearing that conforms to the ZS standard), and C) I like a low/steep front end.

It also puts less stress on the headtube, but I'm not really worried about ovalizing a burly 1.5 headtube.

Jayridesacove

Turbo Monkey
Feb 21, 2004
Falls Church, VA
For DH bike, I'd go with the e.13 cups.

In my case, I want to put a different fork on my Chase, but I really don't care about the stack height. I'm opting for a Cane creek reducing headset so I put my px knifen fork on it.

zahgurim

Underwater monkey
Mar 9, 2005
lolAsia
I have 2 1.5" headtube frames, and run a different version of the 1.5" Cane Creek in both. One is the XX, other is XXC. One I run with a 1.5" steerer Breakout+, and the other is a 1 1/8" Shiver. Both have the same cups so I can swap forks around very easily, they both just slide in and fit in the cups.
I much prefer that over the headtube reducers, which is just another contact point that doesn't need to be there. I don't really see the benefit of running a smaller diameter headset when you can run the larger diameter bearings and still run the 1 1/8" steerer.