Quantcast

1.5 head tube

SK6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 10, 2001
Shut up and ride...
Ok, I’ve already bought the bike and am big time happy with it!!! The question I have is this. Why is there a controversy with the 1.5 head tube? I know only a few bike companies do it now, and I know the Sherman was designed for that size.

So what gives?

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
The only "controversy" was the people who screamed about it not being needed and that Manitou was trying to force their own standard as a marketing ploy.

Now that it's here and there are reducing headsets and lots of reducing spacers and the Sherman's really ARE nice forks... Nobody seems to care anymore.

Which is fine with me. Structurally, it's superior. And I have the option of running any fork I want on my Imperial, so.. Nothing to worry about.

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
i think anytime a company makes a major change, people are going to be up in arms over it.

in the bmx world it's european bottom brackets and internal headsets. but give it a few years and it will be something else all together.

people have too much time on their hands so they sit around and complain. or they have too much money so they buy bikes/bike gear that they don't need. (another small peeve of mine:))

oldfart

Turbo Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
North Van
Some people fear change I suppose. Or they hate not having the latest thing. If the change is for the better, why not? But its also healthy to be sceptical and question things. But minds must be kept open to properly analyze things.

Orvan

Mar 5, 2002
Califor-N.I.A.
true..
people bitched and moan (and still do) when Shimano brought out the Mega 9 SPD stuff.. now nobody really seems to care and almost all bikes have them now...even DH bikes...
Change is almost always good...it usually stirs up a rather dead bike industry!

I just stock up on 8spd stuff..:D

Renntag

Monkey
May 20, 2003
not sure, its dark
I am thinking about a new DH bike or Frame/fork combo for next year and the 1 1/2 hed tube sounds like a GREAT Idea.

I'm not set on it, but I think it sounds good and the new Manitou stuff is Bad-Ass. I may have a new replacement frame and Manitou swinger shock real soon. I cant wait.

~q

bomberz1qr20

Turbo Monkey
Nov 19, 2001
The fact that you can reduce it to use any fork I think is great. Any standard that is NOT backwards compatible seems pretty lame, (Shimano XTR/XT BB, etc)

I think Marzocchi should jump in. Seriously. With the stiffness and overall quality of the forks they already have, a 1.5 Z1 (with true thru axle) would absolutely DESTROY other forks.

They've simply dug themselves into a hole. (a 1-1/18" hole at that)