Quantcast

1.5 inch Thomson stem

frorider

Monkey
Jul 21, 2004
cali
From email exchanges w/ Thomson, I get the strong impression that if a few of us emailed them and explained why we'd like Thomson to offer a 1.5 stem (either w/ std or 31.8 bar clamp, or ideally both options) they'd seriously consider it. :drool:

bikes@lhthomson.com

Incubus

Monkey
Oct 17, 2001
Boston, MA
I e-mailed them way back when about this same thing and they didn't seem thrilled with the idea, but they did say that it would be relatively easy for them to do.

1.5 with a 31.8 clamp... :drool:

frorider

Monkey
Jul 21, 2004
cali
yeah i know, they were lukewarm last year when i emailed them but lately they seemed to be more open minded on this topic. i.e. were basically inviting me to get folks to email them if interested.

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
I don't like thomson stems. I know I'm wierd but I just don't see anything too special about them, all they really did was come up with a well machined version of the same stem everybody else offers for half the price. Well I guess there's that internal clamp thing but I don't really find that too fascinating either.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
How is a well-done version of the same thing everyone else offers, any different than any other high end bike part? Easton pedals don't have anything more to offer than a set of $30 cartridge bearing Ringle Zu-Zus, they're just nicely machined.

Not questioning your choice, just pointing out that there's always a very nice version of everything that doesn't have anything more to offer than quality. With that quality often comes strength and/or light weight (as is the case with the Thomson, it's a very strong stem at a reasonable weight). CK headsets are exactly the same as every other headset on the planet, except for their tolerances and quality of machining.

Kornphlake said:
I don't like thomson stems. I know I'm wierd but I just don't see anything too special about them, all they really did was come up with a well machined version of the same stem everybody else offers for half the price. Well I guess there's that internal clamp thing but I don't really find that too fascinating either.
I'm kinda surprised at your response, you being a fellow machinist and all...

If you simply think spending that much on a stem is hooey then that's fine but to say there's nothing "too special" about them.... I mean, from a machinist's point of view they are a work of art. At least that's what I think.

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
azonicbruce said:
I'm kinda surprised at your response, you being a fellow machinist and all...

If you simply think spending that much on a stem is hooey then that's fine but to say there's nothing "too special" about them.... I mean, from a machinist's point of view they are a work of art. At least that's what I think.
I'm not a machinist, I'm a hack who knows where to find the on button. I am an engineer though don't think there's anything too special from an engineering standpoint, it's the same old stem with a different approach to clamping which I don't find to be necessary or an improvement, again that's just my opinion. As far as the machining goes it's all about paying for somebody to do the job right or sand blast the finished product to hide the mistakes and claim it reduces stresses. And for the record I paid as much for the stem I use now as I would have for a Thomson at the time. I figured if it was all about looks then I'd get something that looked a little different.

Bulldog

Turbo Monkey
Sep 11, 2001
Wisconsin
Kornphlake said:
Well, to fuel your argument, Thomson dropped the internal clamp on my new 31.8 stem, so there you go. Other than that, I totally disagree with you! :)

me89

Monkey
May 25, 2004
asheville
for the record I paid as much for the stem I use now as I would have for a Thomson at the time. I figured if it was all about looks then I'd get something that looked a little different.
im with ya man. love the look of my diablos and why pay for something that is crappy looking, when you could pay the same price for something that looks totally kick ass and im sure the thompson stem is a great stem but i think looks are kinda important too.

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
me89 said:
im with ya man. love the look of my diablos and why pay for something that is crappy looking, when you could pay the same price for something that looks totally kick ass and im sure the thompson stem is a great stem but i think looks are kinda important too.
And to think I bought my Diablos stem because I thought everybody would continue to worship the holy thomson grail of stems and nobody would give the diablos any attention. Well if you've got one and you think it looks "kick ass" then maybe it's time for me to move on to another stem. I'm not all about looks, really I could care less what color my stem is and if it matches the orange stripe on my tire, but I don't like my bike to look just like everybody else's either, which is why I don't own a thomson.

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
The Craftsmanship of Thomson components (including stems) is unsurpassed. On my trail bike I'm pretty happy with my Thomson stem, but for DH application I've had nothing but problems with the clamping mechanism - I tried going to a Thomson stem a few times but it was constantly twisting on me after even very minor spills.

Yes I made sure the steerer was clean
Yes I made sure I torqued the bolts evenly each side
Yes I tried making small markings on the steerer for the clamp to bite on

I just couldn’t get it to stay put!!!

I have this old/cheap Planet-X stem that I've used on my DS and DH bike and it NEVER moved - even in gnarly crashes.

just my $0.02 worth and experience with Thomson stems. I'm sure the new clamping system works better, but again they only come in 31.8 and I don't have any oversize bars.

Jorgen

Monkey
Oct 3, 2003
Oslo, Norway
Say what you want about Thomson, I bent my seatpost with my nads :D

NO kidding.... :-)

And

Hehe, I rode a trail with a little too much grass and stuff, suddenly the trail turned left over a small 2 foot-wide bridge, missed it and went straight into a ditch, about 2.5feet deep and came to a complete stop and I went "trough" the seat and post, and landed on my feet. Nads felt numb for 3 days, thigh went blue for a week.

Anywho, Thomson rules...never thought I'd bend my seatpost in a million years, but vikings-nads-of-steel :-D