Quantcast

1.5" Reducer Headset that's NOT low stack

erikkellison

Monkey
Jan 28, 2004
Denver, CO
I currently have an FSA Orbit Xtreme Pro 1.5" Reducer Headset with bad bearings (notchy), so I need to replace it.
I would like a headset that is light and reliable. Since I have a first generation Socom, I don't really want a zero-stack headset because I don't need the front to be lower than it already is - the headtube angle is fine, but I don't think I want it steeper/more apt to endo. However it seems that all the lightest options are integrated headsets with reducer cups, such as a set of E.13 reducer cups with a Cane Creek 110-IS headset, or the Hope Reducer headset. I would like a Chris King, but they weigh over 100g more than these other options. Is there any way I can maintain the stack height that I currently have on my FSA while losing weight and gaining reliability?
It's worth nothing that Intense expressly recommends against using Cane Creek headsets on their 1.5" frames due to the oversize nature of their insertion cups, I think.

leprechaun

Turbo Monkey
Apr 17, 2004
SLC,Ut
A King 1.5 R headset WITHOUT the compression tube weighs 250g as the Orbit Extreme 1.5R weighs 225g

Go King!

Krispy

erikkellison

Monkey
Jan 28, 2004
Denver, CO
I was under the impression that the 1.5R weighed 199g. Also, I have found that my bearings were cheap 6808 bearings and not the special FSA angular contact bearings. I can't find another headset that is a standard (non-integrated/zero-stack) reducer headset that is lighter than the one I alread have. Replacement bearings are way cheaper than a King, and should last significantly longer since they're new (got the headset used) and are the proper angular contact type.

Uncle Cliffy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 28, 2008
Southern Oregon
Thanks, but the Sunline is a low-stack design...
Not to mention super tough to press in and install... :plthumbsdown:

Cane Creek headsets are just awesome. They make a reducer that isn't low-stack. It's the Double XC. It's also 250 grams or so. You aren't going to find a lighter headset out there than the FSA you currently have. It happens to be the lightest 1.5 headset. Period.

By adding this 15 or so mm of stack height to your bike the headtube will slacken roughly .75 degrees FYI. :clue:

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
Cane Creek headsets are just awesome. They make a reducer that isn't low-stack. It's the Double XC. It's also 250 grams or so. You aren't going to find a lighter headset out there than the FSA you currently have. It happens to be the lightest 1.5 headset. Period.
That's basically what I found when shopping for one. I went for the Cane Creek (AM FS bike, though, not a DH bike) and it's held up fine.

erikkellison

Monkey
Jan 28, 2004
Denver, CO
Thanks for the confirmation, but what 15mm of stack height can I add that will slacken my bike? I only have about 7mm of room left on my Fox 40 before the crown is at the top of the stanchions. Wait, how about this? The reason I only have 7mm of adjustment left is because of my high stack height. Now, I do want as much stack height below my headtube, but the stack height above my headtube is only taking up room... what if I got the top half of an integrated/zero stack reducer headset, and installed that? Then I would have freed up about 15mm of extra room for crown movement. I could then shift up the top crown to the top of the stanchions (7mm), and more importantly shift up the lower crown 22mm! This would effectively slacken my headtube to 66.35 degrees according to my drawing. Is this going to put undue stress on the fork bushings, or anything like that? If not, I'm doing it. Or am I behind the times, and people are already doing this?

Uncle Cliffy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 28, 2008
Southern Oregon
Thanks for the confirmation, but what 15mm of stack height can I add that will slacken my bike? I only have about 7mm of room left on my Fox 40 before the crown is at the top of the stanchions. Wait, how about this? The reason I only have 7mm of adjustment left is because of my high stack height. Now, I do want as much stack height below my headtube, but the stack height above my headtube is only taking up room... what if I got the top half of an integrated/zero stack reducer headset, and installed that? Then I would have freed up about 15mm of extra room for crown movement. I could then shift up the top crown to the top of the stanchions (7mm), and more importantly shift up the lower crown 22mm! This would effectively slacken my headtube to 66.35 degrees according to my drawing. Is this going to put undue stress on the fork bushings, or anything like that? If not, I'm doing it. Or am I behind the times, and people are already doing this?
Wait, back up man... I thought you had the FSA flush reducer headset... This headset also has the lowest stack height possible. Your lower crown should be only 2-3 mm away from your headtube.

If you want a standard headset, (like you asked about initially...) the cup of said headset will add around 15mm of space making your axel-to-headtube measurement longer. This raises the front of your bike and slackens the headtube.

Did I miss something? :brow:

?????

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
San Francisco
I currently have an FSA Orbit Xtreme Pro 1.5" Reducer Headset with bad bearings (notchy), so I need to replace it.
I would like a headset that is light and reliable. Since I have a first generation Socom, I don't really want a zero-stack headset because I don't need the front to be lower than it already is - the headtube angle is fine, but I don't think I want it steeper/more apt to endo. However it seems that all the lightest options are integrated headsets with reducer cups, such as a set of E.13 reducer cups with a Cane Creek 110-IS headset, or the Hope Reducer headset. I would like a Chris King, but they weigh over 100g more than these other options. Is there any way I can maintain the stack height that I currently have on my FSA while losing weight and gaining reliability?
It's worth nothing that Intense expressly recommends against using Cane Creek headsets on their 1.5" frames due to the oversize nature of their insertion cups, I think.
I have the Cane Creek double XC flush with a Socom and it fits fine. I also used to have the FSA orbit extreme 1.5r that I used for a total of about 2 weeks ride time... never felt alright. If you're worried about the head tube angle being too steep just extend the fork legs. However I did the opposite and added the flush headset, dropped my fox fork down as low as it could go and flipped my 50mmx10° stem upside down. I thought it felt fine on the steep trails at whiteface.

erikkellison

Monkey
Jan 28, 2004
Denver, CO
I have an FSA Orbit Xtreme Pro 1.5R headset. It is not a integrated/zero-stack headset -the lower cup has about 15mm of stack height. I just remembered that I have a spare Cane Creek 1.5" reducer/integrated/zero-stack headset laying around. I'm going to install the top half of that tomorrow and go from there.
What I was asking about initially was a LIGHTER, MORE RELIABLE standard 1.5" reducer headset. Turns out I already have the lightest one. And as long as I get the proper replacement bearings, it should turn out to be reliable too. :)

Uncle Cliffy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 28, 2008
Southern Oregon
I have an FSA Orbit Xtreme Pro 1.5R headset. It is not a integrated/zero-stack headset -the lower cup has about 15mm of stack height. I just remembered that I have a spare Cane Creek 1.5" reducer/integrated/zero-stack headset laying around. I'm going to install the top half of that tomorrow and go from there.
What I was asking about initially was a LIGHTER, MORE RELIABLE standard 1.5" reducer headset. Turns out I already have the lightest one. And as long as I get the proper replacement bearings, it should turn out to be reliable too. :)
:poster_oops: Thought you had the flush...

Sounds like a good idea, then after that you could slide your legs down a bit to slacken it a touch more...

erikkellison

Monkey
Jan 28, 2004
Denver, CO
I plan on sliding the legs as far as they can go, which will be 22mm or so. That will put the top crown at the top of the stanchion legs. Any more and I won't have enough crown purchase. It's go time. I hope this helps other 1.5" HT DH bike owners in the same boat so they don't have to think this all out like I did!

Salami

Turbo Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
Waxhaw, NC
However it seems that all the lightest options are integrated headsets with reducer cups, such as a set of E.13 reducer cups with a Cane Creek 110-IS headset, or the Hope Reducer headset.

The new Hope I just bought does not have a zero stack on the bottom cup. It is a bit funny looking but is low stack on the top only.

erikkellison

Monkey
Jan 28, 2004
Denver, CO
Crazy, that's what my FSA/Cane Creek chimera is going to look like! But mmmm, Hope. Where'd you get it? I went to Hope's website, and they list a Stepdown headset, but all the pictures don't show anything like the setup you have. Hope even offers an increased stack height lower race, so I'd be interested if your headset is indeed the stock Stepdown, and where you got it!
On a side note, I didn't know that the SS needed to be slacker... my friends seem to like theirs where they are (with Lyriks or Fox 36's)...

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
Crazy, that's what my FSA/Cane Creek chimera is going to look like! But mmmm, Hope. Where'd you get it? I went to Hope's website, and they list a Stepdown headset, but all the pictures don't show anything like the setup you have. Hope even offers an increased stack height lower race, so I'd be interested if your headset is indeed the stock Stepdown, and where you got it!
On a side note, I didn't know that the SS needed to be slacker... my friends seem to like theirs where they are (with Lyriks or Fox 36's)...

That is actually a 1 1/8 lower cup set into an adapter. Apparently this is some new headset 'system' from Hope (new to me at least). Check under 1 1/8 headsets...it comes with several parts to set up for 1 1/8 or 1.5 in several configurations. Seems like they were trying to deal with single crown fork contact issues (a frame mfg issue IMO)....and decided on a kind of odd way to do so.

Salami

Turbo Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
Waxhaw, NC
I didn't know the headset existed until I pulled it out of the box. I thought I was getting a "zero stack" type headset. The headset was ordered from I believe QBP but I am not positive. I would have returned it since I think it looks funny and I wasn't trying to make the geo more slack, but it was already pressed into the frame when I received it and I only had two days before I left for vacation.

The increased stack height lower race is what I have. The extended piece you see in the pictures is part of the actual lower cup.

Salami

Turbo Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
Waxhaw, NC
That is actually a 1 1/8 lower cup set into an adapter. Apparently this is some new headset 'system' from Hope (new to me at least). Check under 1 1/8 headsets...it comes with several parts to set up for 1 1/8 or 1.5 in several configurations. Seems like they were trying to deal with single crown fork contact issues (a frame mfg issue IMO)....and decided on a kind of odd way to do so.
If Hope does offer different configurations they are not convertible. The extended piece is part of the lower cup.

I see another possible reason for the design is to increase lower stack height for proper geo on certain frames. The design seems to allow for the lowest weight for its stack height.