Quantcast

1.5 Steerer Tube for Fox Forks?

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I remember reading about it somewhere. I could probably figure it out on my own, but has anyone heard about a 1.5 steerer on Fox forks.

frznnomad

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
a-town biatches
now that would be pretty kool. although i think that they should make that an option cause well there still arent a lot of frames that come with the 1.5 head tube. i think it would be better for fox if they stuck with the standerd size due to the fact that they offer reducer sets for 1.5 headtube frames. just what i think but that would deffinatly be cool. ohh and sorry i dont have any info on it.

Jimmy_Pop

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2002
Phoenix, Az USA
http://risseracing.com/product_accessories.shtml#Fox40

Triple Clamps for Fox 40 Forks
Price: $230.00 (complete kit)

Risse Racing introduces a replacement triple clamp kit for Fox 40 forks. The triple clamps are machined from billit aluminum and improve the performance of the fork. The upper crown is compatible with the International Standard direct mount stem bolt locations to eliminate stem twist. The steerer tube is press fit into the lower clamp.

The triple clamps are available in both 1-1/8" and 1.5" steerer tube sizes, and are avialable in black, blue an polished silver.

Part # Description MSRP
50634 Triple Clamp Kit 1-1/8"* $230.00
50635 Triple Clamp Kit 1.5"* $230.00
22365 Upper Clamp 1-1/8" $99.95
22366 Upper Clamp 1.5" $99.95
50636 Lower Clamp w/ steerer tube 1-1/8" $150.00
50637 Lower Clamp w/ steerer tube 1.5" $150.00

* includes upper clamp, lower clamp, and steerer tube.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Jimmy_Pop said:
http://risseracing.com/product_accessories.shtml#Fox40

Triple Clamps for Fox 40 Forks
Price: $230.00 (complete kit)

Risse Racing introduces a replacement triple clamp kit for Fox 40 forks. The triple clamps are machined from billit aluminum and improve the performance of the fork. The upper crown is compatible with the International Standard direct mount stem bolt locations to eliminate stem twist. The steerer tube is press fit into the lower clamp.

The triple clamps are available in both 1-1/8" and 1.5" steerer tube sizes, and are avialable in black, blue an polished silver.

Part # Description MSRP
50634 Triple Clamp Kit 1-1/8"* $230.00
50635 Triple Clamp Kit 1.5"* $230.00
22365 Upper Clamp 1-1/8" $99.95
22366 Upper Clamp 1.5" $99.95
50636 Lower Clamp w/ steerer tube 1-1/8" $150.00
50637 Lower Clamp w/ steerer tube 1.5" $150.00

* includes upper clamp, lower clamp, and steerer tube.
I would think a 1.5 DC steerer is a little overkill, considering motorcycles use a 1 inch DC.

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
sanjuro said:
I would think a 1.5 DC steerer is a little overkill, considering motorcycles use a 1 inch DC.
Motorcycles are a completely different monster than bikes. They are not AS concerned with strength and weight as they are with strength. There are a plethora of reasons why just because a moto uses a 1" it doesn't mean an MTB shouldn't use something larger diameter. With that said I fell that 1.125" is sufficient for most DC MTB applications but it's not like offerring the Risse crowns in a 1.5" is hurting anything, it just makes it so people can optimize their setup.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
punkassean said:
Motorcycles are a completely different monster than bikes. They are not AS concerned with strength and weight as they are with strength. There are a plethora of reasons why just because a moto uses a 1" it doesn't mean an MTB shouldn't use something larger diameter. With that said I fell that 1.125" is sufficient for most DC MTB applications but it's not like offerring the Risse crowns in a 1.5" is hurting anything, it just makes it so people can optimize their setup.
Well, except for those who feel the Super Monster is not enough travel, I don't know many people who complain that that 1 1/8 DC are not stiff or strong enough.

I was really wondering about the single crowns (i.e. 36 Van). There is a place where an 1.5 steerer would be very valuable.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
sanjuro said:
Well, except for those who feel the Super Monster is not enough travel, I don't know many people who complain that that 1 1/8 DC are not stiff or strong enough.
It's not because of the steerer size, it's because of the stanchion diameter, bushing interface, and crowns. Once the stanchions or uppers get big enough, the steerer tube isn't really doing anything or transfering any loads. The only parts that matter are the headset cups at that point, and if the steerer tube in between did not exist it wouldn't really matter.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
CreeP said:
why isn't there someone out there making replacement crown/steerers yet?

for SC forks that is.
Tell me what forks are currently made that have bolt-on crowns.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
CreeP said:
why isn't there someone out there making replacement crown/steerers yet?

for SC forks that is.
I believe the steerer/crown/stanction combo is beyond most machine shops...

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
Jm_ said:
It's not because of the steerer size, it's because of the stanchion diameter, bushing interface, and crowns. Once the stanchions or uppers get big enough, the steerer tube isn't really doing anything or transfering any loads. The only parts that matter are the headset cups at that point, and if the steerer tube in between did not exist it wouldn't really matter.
Like the Maverick DUC32 basically.