Quantcast

1 --> Drilling For Schrader, 2 --> Rim Strip Alternatives?

Old_Dude

Monkey
#1 - I recently received Presta drilled rims - it'd be nice to use all Schrader tubes for convienience, so if I drill these rims, what size hole should I drill to adapt my rims for Schrader valves? Why should I stay with Presta valves or why should I convert them to Schrader?

#2 - Are there any rim strip alternatives - like using some sort of tape for example? I'm using Sun Rhyno Lite wheels & the inside width is ~20mm. I was considering using my very old, Schrader 26" rim strips, but they're quite narrow. What's the best solution?

Thanks,

OD

NRSracer

Jamis Slayer
Sep 7, 2001
Baltimore
Originally posted by Old_Dude
#1 - I recently received Presta drilled rims - it'd be nice to use all Schrader tubes for convienience, so if I drill these rims, what size hole should I drill to adapt my rims for Schrader valves? Why should I stay with Presta valves or why should I convert them to Schrader?

#2 - Are there any rim strip alternatives - like using some sort of tape for example? I'm using Sun Rhyno Lite wheels & the inside width is ~20mm. I was considering using my very old, Schrader 26" rim strips, but they're quite narrow. What's the best solution?

Thanks,

OD
I drilled mine out to 11/32 and it worked perfectly, just make sure you file it out to get any shards off.

as for the rim strips, i actually rac w/o rimstrips for a while(not when racing) and it was fine, i have used masking tape and duct tape, but your best bet is probably to go get some rim strips.

Tenchiro

Attention K Mart Shoppers
Jul 19, 2002
New England
Originally posted by johnbryanpeters
I used electrical tape for years. Apply whatever width is appropriate, than cut out stem hole with an Exacto knife or a scalpel.

J
Or just jam a screwdriver through.

Why not just buy Presta tubes though and a schraeder adapter? That gives you the best of both worlds. Plus it would suck to go flat on a ride, and only have presta pumps available.

Old_Dude

Monkey
Thanks for the input everyone . . .

I went ahead & bought some Presta tires . . . of course, while shopping, I also picked up a Park Spanner #2, & two pairs of new brake pads . . . both my pumps fit Presta & Schrader, but now when I go riding with my son I guess I should take along just a Presta tube as it seems it will work with a Schrader drilled wheel, right?