Quantcast

#1 Florida Gators vs. #2 Alabama Crimson Tide: Who take the SEC?

Who wins the SEC Championship?

• Alabama

Votes: 4 40.0%
  • Florida

Votes: 6 60.0%

• Total voters

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
A couple of great teams here, but I've got to go with Alabama. Amazing defense, a solid offense, and playing with a chip on their shoulder after last year.

Bama 27
Florida 16

Book it!

I also predict Tim Tebow denounces religion after the loss!

Sherpa

Basking in fail.
Jan 28, 2004
Arkansaw
Best part of the game. What a sore loser. I can't wait to see him go pro and get hammered by a real linebacker.
All those linebackers in the SEC are real, NFL linebackers.

Alabama 42 - Texas 14.

SEC, the only real conference in the country.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
All those linebackers in the SEC are real, NFL linebackers.

Alabama 42 - Texas 14.

Not that I'm a football guy, but didn't a lowly mid-major kick 'Bama's ass in the Sugar Bowl last year?

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
Not that I'm a football guy, but didn't a lowly mid-major kick 'Bama's ass in the Sugar Bowl last year?
Sure, after nobody on the team gave a rat's ass cause they missed out on the Natl. Championship, and Utah was playing the hugest game of their lives.

If you're an SEC team.. a BCS birth is basically worthless. You play for championships.

Sherpa

Basking in fail.
Jan 28, 2004
Arkansaw
Sure, after nobody on the team gave a rat's ass cause they missed out on the Natl. Championship, and Utah was playing the hugest game of their lives.

If you're an SEC team.. a BCS birth is basically worthless. You play for championships.
Bingo. Especially after you get placed in a BCS bowl game with Utah. Everyone was focused on pro-day and not getting hurt.

skinny mike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2005
quoted for truth.

i'm always disappointed when i go down to the dining hall to grab lunch and watch an sec game on the tv, but they end up playing an msu or u of montana game instead. i don't care if it's our team or our biggest rival, i want to watch some real football!

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california

Just now saw this response. After seeing the ridiculous BCS matchups this year, I had a serious laugh at your expense.

TCU could demolish anyone in the country, save maybe Alabama, just like Utah could've the year before. In fact, in a TCU/bama title game matchup, I'd pick TCU.

It's not that they (SEC/BCS schools) don't care about playing "lesser" conferences, it's that they're afraid of losing their golden goose because it's plainly evident their programs aren't run by sports deities relative to other schools.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
Not that I'm a football guy, but

Just now saw this response. After seeing the ridiculous BCS matchups this year, I had a serious laugh at your expense.

TCU could demolish anyone in the country, save maybe Alabama, just like Utah could've the year before. In fact, in a TCU/bama title game matchup, I'd pick TCU.

It's not that they (SEC/BCS schools) don't care about playing "lesser" conferences, it's that they're afraid of losing their golden goose because it's plainly evident their programs aren't run by sports deities relative to other schools.

So do you know WTF you're talking about or are you just regurgitating some crap you heard from some talking head? It sounds very much like the latter.

I would bet you've seen TCU play less than 2 entire games this season (no I really dont care whether you say you have), and the fact that you combine "SEC/BCS" schools into some generic imperial force afraid of losing profits because it knows it can't compete with the WAC and Mountain West is embarrassingly stupid. The SEC schools have been the biggest proponents of a playoff system for quite some time, and I won't waste my time explaining why.

There are genuine arguments to be made about the BCS system, but you really haven't touched on any of them here.

Last edited:

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california

So do you know WTF you're talking about or are you just regurgitating some crap you heard from some talking head? It sounds very much like the latter.

I would bet you've seen TCU play less than 2 entire games this season (no I really dont care whether you say you have), and the fact that you combine "SEC/BCS" schools into some generic imperial force afraid of losing profits because it knows it can't compete with the WAC and Mountain West is embarrassingly stupid. The SEC schools have been the biggest proponents of a playoff system for quite some time, and I won't waste my time explaining why.

There are genuine arguments to be made about the BCS system, but you really haven't touched on any of them here.
I'm not a football guy, I'm a statistics guy (yes, I was the nerd who didn't give two sh*ts about individual players and read the sports section every morning solely to read standings and stats through my primary and secondary schooling).

TCU v. 'bama
BSU v. Florida
Cincy v. Texas

More logical matchups, but the BCS isn't logical. 16 team playoff would be the way to be.

But coming up with some hokey reason like "they didn't care 'cause it wasn't a championship" for getting their asses kicked by a better team is BS. SEE THE PUN?!

i love drinking and getting football fans riled up on the internets.

skinny mike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2005
i wonder what tcu's record would have been if they had a schedule as difficult as alabama's...

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
I'm not a football guy, I'm a statistics guy (yes, I was the nerd who didn't give two sh*ts about individual players and read the sports section every morning solely to read standings and stats through my primary and secondary schooling).

TCU v. 'bama
BSU v. Florida
Cincy v. Texas

More logical matchups...

You're a "statistics guy" so I assume you have some metric for these "more logical" matchups?

#1 is playing #2, how is that not logical?

And before you say it... why should TCU be ranked above Texas? They have the same record... Texas is in a tougher conference and has faced a tougher schedule overall.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/polls/119
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/sagarin/fbt09.htm
http://www.gberatings.com/sos/

but the BCS isn't logical. 16 team playoff would be the way to be.
Im pretty sure nobody here has argued against the idea of a playoff, but I'm glad you were able to get that off your chest.

But coming up with some hokey reason like "they didn't care 'cause it wasn't a championship" for getting their asses kicked by a better team is BS. SEE THE PUN?!
Even if you believed Utah is a better team than Alabama, being a "stats guy" would certainly lead you to looking at trends, no? Where are these teams now? Where have they been in the past? Are you familiar with the term "outlier"? If you wish to prove a point, back it up with evidence, not anecdotes. This is the heart of statistical analysis. Appalachian State once beat Michigan.. should they put the FCS champion in the BCS? Do you even know what FCS stands for?

i love drinking and getting football fans riled up on the internets.
Nobody's riled up as far as I can tell.. it's just easy to pick apart silly arguments. There have been times in the past when solid teams have been screwed by the BCS, but not in 2009.