Quantcast

$1 Slave Reparation Lawsuit...

Tenchiro

Attention K Mart Shoppers
Jul 19, 2002
New England
So with Egypt suing Israel for the looting that supposedly occured during the exodus, and this one going on. What is to stop any group from filing lawsuits over historical events? Shouldn't there be a statute of limitation on these sort of things? What if France sued the US over getting jacked in the Louisiana purchase? What if whatever Native American tribe that lived there at the time sued France?

Where does it all start and end?

Slave Descendants File $1B Lawsuit
40 minutes ago

NEW YORK - Descendants of slaves filed a $1 billion lawsuit Monday against U.S. and British corporations, accusing them of profiting by committing genocide against their ancestors.

Lawyers for the eight plaintiffs said the complaint was the first slave reparations lawsuit to use DNA to link the plaintiffs to Africans who suffered atrocities during the slave trade.

The suit filed in federal court in Manhattan accuses Lloyd's of London, FleetBoston and R.J. Reynolds of "aiding and abetting the commission of genocide" by allegedly financing and insuring the ships that delivered slaves to tobacco plantations in the United States.

The defendants "have destroyed our national and ethnic identity," one of the plaintiffs, Deadria Farmer-Paellmann, said at a news conference announcing the suit.

DNA testing has made a "direct connection" between Farmer-Paellmann and the Mende tribe in Sierra Leone, whose people "were kidnapped, tortured and shipped in chains to the United States," the suit said.

Scientific evidence also has linked the other plaintiffs to tribes in Niger and Gambia, the suit said.

Ellen Matthews, a spokeswoman for R.J. Reynolds, said the company had not received a copy of the suit. Calls to the other defendants were not immediately returned.

In January, a federal judge in Chicago threw out a similar lawsuit brought by descendants of slaves.

Clicky

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
I dont see how you could sue someone for something that was legal.
I mean, I couldnt sue Waffle House for making waffles. There's no law against making waffles. Why would they have to pay me?
Once slavery was illegal, the slave trade stopped. No more illegal action was taken. What's to sue for? How can you be found liable for following the law:confused:

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
in addition to what BS said, how can you sue someone for something they didn't do. Oh sure, someone will argue that the corporate entities have existed for hundreds of years and they're suing the entity, but since the entity simply represents the share holders, then they are suing people who didn't actually commit said offense against them.

Tenchiro

Attention K Mart Shoppers
Jul 19, 2002
New England
Saying that they did win, who gets the money? Are they going to move to Sierra Leone, Niger, Gambia, etc. to repair their "national and ethnic identity"?

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
I agree. Sueing people's great grandparents etc is clearly selfishness. If the sort of people who did this really gave a :monkey: they'd want the money to be invested in the community or whatever - even so it's time people got the f*ck over it. You don't see Tiger Woods complaining, or the apparantly less shortsighted 99.9% of so called 'oppressed' populations.

Hey, I'm frickin oppressed! I have to work 40 hours a week. If I lived in France I'd only have to work 32! Call my lawyer! (OK that's probably taking the argument a little far...)

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
Originally posted by LordOpie
in addition to what BS said, how can you sue someone for something they didn't do. Oh sure, someone will argue that the corporate entities have existed for hundreds of years and they're suing the entity, but since the entity simply represents the share holders, then they are suing people who didn't actually commit said offense against them.
So what about those companies that profited from the Nazis. Same deal right? Some of those companies have been sued recently but the people running those companies aren't the same ones as in WW2. Is it alright for one group of people to sue but not another? Who draws the line? Not having a go, just questions.
Edit- same deal but in Japan
chinese laborers win lawsuit

llkoolkeg

Ranger LL
Sep 5, 2001
in da shed, mon, in da shed
Basically, it's a load of crap and another meritless lawsuit that should be immediately thrown out and legal defense fees recouped along with punitive damages for wasting the court's time. I mean really- is there any more loathsome creature than the snivelling, ambulance-chasing attorney? What a leachlike blight upon the land they are! :angry: