Quantcast

> 1 < Thursday > 12 <

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
I am tired!

Good thing today is more of our IT e-conference with different things to attend, so I should be able to cruise through the day and not have to do much (knock on wood).

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Mornin!

Hitting easy street today, gonna cruise into the weekend all casual like. Got some number crunching to do and TPS reports to generate. Oh yea, and a 1-on-1 with the VP of engineering later.

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
OH Joy I have a 2 hour BLS Providers teleconference with the County from 10-12 which will actually contain about 20 minutes of useful information. Kill me nao.

In other news I gotta finish loading up my EMS gear into the camper. Working standbys at remote sites for the next 3 weekends in a row.

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
Hello all. Working today, but I shall pick up some delicious Japanese baked goods before rolling in late, because that's my style

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Looks like a friend's house burned in Grand Lake last night. He's not sure, but the town was mostly burned down, so he's assuming the worst. He's spent the last 15 years building it by hand, so it's not the normal "rich guy" mtn cabin you expect to see up there. Super bummed right now.

Has anyone heard from @TN? He was in pre-evacuation earlier this week.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes

this is today

I think we resolved riding tomorrow, so that's nice. @I Are Baboon I truly appreciate the invite and maybe next time I can see your shiny new bike.

missed out on the ebay auction for the TTX. A little sad, but also not as I don't really need to be spending more on MTB right now. My bike is pretty good as is. Mostly just sad because I would have bid higher, but played the "ebay" game, which somebody else won.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout

this is today

I think we resolved riding tomorrow, so that's nice. @I Are Baboon I truly appreciate the invite and maybe next time I can see your shiny new bike.

missed out on the ebay auction for the TTX. A little sad, but also not as I don't really need to be spending more on MTB right now. My bike is pretty good as is. Mostly just sad because I would have bid higher, but played the "ebay" game, which somebody else won.
on the shock topic - have you considered finding something like an older fox rc4 or something and sending it to avy?

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
on the shock topic - have you considered finding something like an older fox rc4 or something and sending it to avy?
I have! Not to turn the morning "I took a shit" thread into a technical diatribe, but I want less travel out of my bike. I have been debating short-shocking it, which would lower the BB, slacken the HA, shorten the reach, and turn the LR into a bit of a "u" shaped curve, or getting a shorter stroke shock, which would keep the angles the same and make the LR more progressive with a small tail at the end. I think either LR curve will work with an air shock, but I'm not sure which geometry works better. I am a fan of shorter and steeper and higher for east coast riding, but there's an appeal to a short travel, slack trail ripper too.

I've been offered an RC4 for a good price in the original length, but I really need one in the shorter stroke format to work best. I have that Roco which actually worked shockingly well, but I need a rebuild and new coil to make it 100%. Honestly, instead of fucking around with all of that, I should try to make my X2 work as well as the roco before I give up on it, which is probably as simple as upping the spring rate and increasing compression damping.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Has anybody ever seen weird price fluctuations on amazon? I have my eye on a slightly longer stem that is available from a non-amazon vendor, but it becomes available, then the price dips, then it goes away, then it comes back, and I'm really fucking confused. It's a great deal, but I also don't want to get burnt.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I have! Not to turn the morning "I took a shit" thread into a technical diatribe, but I want less travel out of my bike. I have been debating short-shocking it, which would lower the BB, slacken the HA, shorten the reach, and turn the LR into a bit of a "u" shaped curve, or getting a shorter stroke shock, which would keep the angles the same and make the LR more progressive with a small tail at the end. I think either LR curve will work with an air shock, but I'm not sure which geometry works better. I am a fan of shorter and steeper and higher for east coast riding, but there's an appeal to a short travel, slack trail ripper too.

I've been offered an RC4 for a good price in the original length, but I really need one in the shorter stroke format to work best. I have that Roco which actually worked shockingly well, but I need a rebuild and new coil to make it 100%. Honestly, instead of fucking around with all of that, I should try to make my X2 work as well as the roco before I give up on it, which is probably as simple as upping the spring rate and increasing compression damping.
how much shorter are we talking? i'm fairly certain Craig can (or at least has) reduced stroke and possibly even i2i on shocks before. obviously there are limitations to have much reduction can be achieved, but its worth exploring, especially if you'd be doing an avy service in the first place.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Has anybody ever seen weird price fluctuations on amazon? I have my eye on a slightly longer stem that is available from a non-amazon vendor, but it becomes available, then the price dips, then it goes away, then it comes back, and I'm really fucking confused. It's a great deal, but I also don't want to get burnt.
the supply chain is drunk

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
paging @HAB
I think he did a DIY short shock mod. (sorry if I'm mistaken)

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Or what's up with regular cheap items from some oddball vendors on there that are astronomically priced? Like some Maxxis tires being $150 or more?

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
how much shorter are we talking? i'm fairly certain Craig can (or at least has) reduced stroke and possibly even i2i on shocks before. obviously there are limitations to have much reduction can be achieved, but its worth exploring, especially if you'd be doing an avy service in the first place.
just 0.25in. My frame requires a 7.875x2.25, switching to a 2.0 reduces travel by like 15mm and should be fine. Switching to a 190x45 moves it to like 115+/-, which is more of where I'd like to be.
the supply chain is drunk
it's the same guy though. Like a vendor pops in and out of existence with the stem in stock. It's just weird, but you might be right.

there's a cool new feature on the '21 DHX2 that allows for minor travel reduction externally, but doesn't change i2i
the ohlins I was looking at had an internal plastic spacer, just like an old air volume reducer, that reduced shock stroke as well. I can't figure out why other people haven't been able to copy such a thing. All you are doing is reducing the shaft stroke, a plastic bumper should do the job just fine especially if the rubber bumper sits on top. It has a separate place for air volume bands, too.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
just 0.25in. My frame requires a 7.875x2.25, switching to a 2.0 reduces travel by like 15mm and should be fine. Switching to a 190x45 moves it to like 115+/-, which is more of where I'd like to be.
yea that's not much and should be feasible.

i have an NOS 5th element that's 8.75x2.75, i thought about converting it to fit my megatrail, but it takes a shock thats 7.875x2.25, so that's not gonna work unless i wanna take a travel reduction.

it's the same guy though. Like a vendor pops in and out of existence with the stem in stock. It's just weird, but you might be right.
schroedingers e-tailer? 3rd party amazon sellers can be very sketch. beware.

the ohlins I was looking at had an internal plastic spacer, just like an old air volume reducer, that reduced shock stroke as well. I can't figure out why other people haven't been able to copy such a thing. All you are doing is reducing the shaft stroke, a plastic bumper should do the job just fine especially if the rubber bumper sits on top. It has a separate place for air volume bands, too.
the new fox one while only doing stroke, you only have to take the coil off.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
I have a 190 x 50 Monarch RT3 (I think?) you can have if you want. Took it off my Titus when I broke the frame and have no use for it.

Not a :monocle: of a shock, but could at least let you try what you want to do.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Had a rough couple of weeks. Took the day off to go ride and get in a better head space. It worked.

May rinse and repeat tomorrow.

At garage now waiting for a second opinion on what the noise coming from my wheels is.