Quantcast

1 xt hub down, what should I upgrade to?

dfinn

Turbo Monkey
Jul 24, 2003
SL, UT
I believe I did in my first hub, and it's less than a year old. Last night while putting my bike away after a short (relatively abusive) shuttle ride I noticed that something felt loose in the rear end. After further inspection my rear wheel now has a decent amout of play in it at the hub. This is a bad hub correct?

I'm wondering what you guys recommend for a stronger hub that will take the abuse of a 230 lb rider who tends to be pretty hard on his hardtail xc/trail bike.

I have a Mavic F519 from last year that is brand new that I'm thinking about having it built up with. So far I have been pretty happy with those rims.

Morryjg

Mr. Ho Jangles
May 9, 2003
Littleton
Sounds like your current hub has definitely seen better days.... As for a better hub you will probably hear this over and over. Get a Chris King or Hadley. DT Swiss makes a nice hub too, but I know the CK and Hadley will take a good amount of abuse.

crono35

Monkey
Feb 11, 2002
irvine
just tighten up the hub. it'll hold for say, another... 2 days.

On second thought, just get a new hub. I've loctited my xt's, torqued down the screws w/ all my weight, and it still loosens every couple rides.

Nate at RIT

Monkey
Oct 8, 2003
bending stuff in the ROC
Well it depends on what you want to spend. XT's are ball bearing, and you can adjust them quite easily with a couple of wrenches. I've never actually broken an XT hub in 2 years of dirtjumping/SSing a hardtail, and I'm around 210-220 with gear on, so I'm not too friendly on stuff. I have had to adjust them, but it takes less than 5 minutes to do. That's the cheap route.

Another option is get a high end hub like a CK, Hope, Hadley, etc. I've only had experience with Hopes, but can't recommend them enough.

Being a broke-ass college student, if it was me, I'd just do the the adjust-XT route.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
Hopes are probably the best for the money (I run them and I'm very happy with them). Kings are probably the best period, especially if you ride in sloppy condition (mud/snow, etc.).

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
CK, Hadley, Hope

in that order. I use a good mix of CK and Hadley's and been very satisfied with them. The Hadley's are retarded easy to work on - granted you have the tools.

I have a pair of CK hubs on my HT that are going on their 7th year!! :) you know the ones that need that crazy adaptor for discs...but they feel just like day one! :thumb:

sama1ter

Monkey
Apr 29, 2004
The OC
I bought a custom wheel from Universal Cycles, and it came with a loose hub(i rode it for 3 days and it had play), i tightened it up, and its been perfect for 4 months