Quantcast

10 months to build, 10 days to destroy...

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
kidwoo said:
It only seems that way because compared to all your hard work, everyone else is a slacker.:)

It's like that everywhere. 2-5 hard workers and then all the fair weather friends that show up once the sun comes out and the dirt is packed.
i don't mind that so much as the ones that crawl out of the woodwork to attach them selves to your effort for their own glory.

i've been accused of running off more locals than i attract.
it's because i can sniff out an ulterior motive from miles away, and i won't stand for it.

i understand why some can't help build.
i'm in a situation where i don't have a wife or kids. that frees me up to devote a lot of time to give my friends and i a place to ride.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
kidwoo said:
Part of this is from a PM I sent t-pirate because his thread on mtbr was closed. I want to say it to others though.

At one time there were no handrails, hips or big booters at ski resorts because of some "potential" liabilty. They existed because people took the initiative and made things themselves where they could, regardless of what went on at resorts. That was essentially a prototype phase which demonstrated a need for such features. Resorts saw a need, a marketable realm of the sports, and then provided facilities as lures to visit them. Through this, the style of riding was validated.

You could write a freakin book on the situation with skateboarding and all the free public skateparks that are now so standard. Same deal. I sat in the back of cop cars when I was in junior high and high school listening to how "dangerous" it was (for property owners ) to be doing what I was. Enough people were doing it though that the public need was acknowledged and facilities were legitimized.

Buiding your own spot in the woods for bicycles is no different. The MTB world generates nowhere near the cash flow that the ski/snowboard industry does so it moves a little slower but there's absolute legitimacy in what you guys did. It will get recognized one day. It has in canadia as well as a few spots in europe.

Keeping track of your "environmental impact" is all you really have to worry about. I'm a hydrologist so I get a kick out of the erosion BS that gets thrown around where I live. I know more about it than the people closing trails BUT, I always pay attention to the grades I create. In light of the strip malls and useless development that gos up in this country, it's laughable.

Nothing gets handed to you in this sport that's worthwhile for the type of riding we do. It's too new.

To sit and criticize t-pirate for your trail access issues is horribly misguided. The guy is creating something with his own blood sweat and tears when most kids his age are sitting around playing video games and getting fat. How many "take the initiative" speeches did you guys get in school? I got plenty. It's not like he dragged a bobcat into a wilderness area fer chrisakes.

If you believe there's eventual legitimacy to the dh/fr genre like I do, you should recognize that the expression of the necessary environment is done first by the people and not the authorities. The authorities have to recognize a need through this expression before they'll do squat. A few people showing up at a meeting have to have a meeting to go to. That occurs only once a community need is well established. I attend every trail access gathering I hear about around here but I build my own dirtjumps and trails at the same time. Each avenue serves a purpose.
Good points, thanks for posting it.

biker3

Turbo Monkey
binary visions said:
jdcamb & biker3's little hissy fit at the beginning of the thread was absolutely hilarious - it really demonstrates the IQ and maturity level of the parties involved.

Read the thread again wise one. It was not I in the hissy argument with JDcamb it was Chico Dude. I made 3 posts, 1 of which was an entire joke, just to get the thread riled up and to see how rediculous people can get, which it obviously did. The 2nd was to clarify the former, and the third was my true view and by all means a reasonable one at that. I took no part in name calling, flacking, and in my opinion anything that demonstrated a lack of maturity or IQ in my posts. Read threads more carefully before you call out me or anyone else, otherwise it makes you look about the same as MisterClean with an addition of excellent syntax and grammer.

airwalkrob

Monkey
Jul 20, 2005
Greenville EASTSIDE
MisterClean said:
I was talking about them too. I highly doubt that those two South Carolina hucky ducky kids could keep up with me in the parameters I set in response to the braggart who thinks they can outride me anywhere, any time. I'm over twice their age and am confident enough that I would be willing to put $5,000 on it.
you will lose that 5K & we who know them will point & laugh @ you getting a smack down ! one more thing !

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
North Carolinians correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't there some freeridish trails in the triangle near the RDU airport? Are these legal or not? If they are legal maybe the precedent could help out T-pirate and crew?

Seems like there is a lot of wasted space around most airports. At BWI near where I live they put in a greenway around the airport. It's quite nice if you are into that kind of thing. At least the land isn't going to waste. I don't see why it would be such a problem to get legal access.

That said, I understand that it would entail a engaging in a big battle to overcome the redneck mentality you probably encounter in Gville SC that mandates that if you don't play football, basketball, or baseball you are either on drugs or a faggot. Yeah, good luck with that.

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
jdschall said:
North Carolinians correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't there some freeridish trails in the triangle near the RDU airport? Are these legal or not? If they are legal maybe the precedent could help out T-pirate and crew?

Seems like there is a lot of wasted space around most airports. At BWI near where I live they put in a greenway around the airport. It's quite nice if you are into that kind of thing. At least the land isn't going to waste. I don't see why it would be such a problem to get legal access.

That said, I understand that it would entail a engaging in a big battle to overcome the redneck mentality you probably encounter in Gville SC that mandates that if you don't play football, basketball, or baseball you are either on drugs or a faggot. Yeah, good luck with that.
there you go being the voice of reason again.

justsomeguy

Monkey
Oct 3, 2005
jdschall said:
That said, I understand that it would entail a engaging in a big battle to overcome the redneck mentality you probably encounter in Gville SC that mandates that if you don't play football, basketball, or baseball you are either on drugs or a faggot.
Well it seems for once the rednecks are somewhat on the ball(no pun intended) since they got at least half of that right.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
biker3 said:
Read threads more carefully before you call out me or anyone else, otherwise it makes you look about the same as MisterClean with an addition of excellent syntax and grammer.
I read it carefully, and simply took your excellent comment here:

biker3 said:
All these ultra conservative IMBA muthas can lick it long and righteously.
...to be only the beginning of the long line of insults flung back and forth by various posters. Joke or not, it was intended, as you said, to get people riled up. It doesn't matter if you were joking, really, since it wasn't said in a joking manner and wouldn't have been taken as a joke when it was read.

When you bounce into a thread with a sensitive issue and fling an insult like that, you know what kind of effect it's going to have. I don't think my comment was out of line at all.

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
dhbuilder said:
there you go being the voice of reason again.

Naw, I'll leave that to Binary Visions, the true voice of reason. I was just trying to string together a series of semi-rational thoughts.

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
kidwoo said:
In light of the strip malls and useless development that gos up in this country, it's laughable.

Don't even get me started on this subject.....

:redhot: :redhot: :redhot: :redhot: :redhot: :redhot: :redhot: :redhot: :redhot: :redhot: :redhot: :redhot: :redhot: :redhot: :redhot: :redhot: :redhot: :redhot: :redhot: :redhot: :redhot: :redhot: :redhot: :redhot:

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
i think that to rag on imba people is pretty immature. imba does try very hard to encompass all types of riding. getting area like the spot built legally is very challenging especially for a group of youngsters that are not even voting age. think a politician is going to listen to non-voters?

i think that the situation is exacerbated by the fact that so many riders do detract from that type of riding because the majority of riders out there are xc oriented and are in it for multiple reasons other than catching air/surpassing mental limits. I think that in a perfectsociety every one would have access to freeride stuff, to flowy wooded dirt jump areas, to prisitine single track winding endlessly through the woods, to well maintained backroads for road bikes with bike lanes on them.

unfortunately we do not live in a perfect society.

chicodude

The Spooninator
Mar 28, 2004
Paradise
kidwoo said:
It only seems that way because compared to all your hard work, everyone else is a slacker.:)

It's like that everywhere. 2-5 hard workers and then all the fair weather friends that show up once the sun comes out and the dirt is packed.

Yea, People who just ride yo **** without buildin; are everywhere.

I have never been that person...:clue:

Check teh PM's fool.

biker3

Turbo Monkey
binary visions said:
I read it carefully, and simply took your excellent comment here:

...to be only the beginning of the long line of insults flung back and forth by various posters. Joke or not, it was intended, as you said, to get people riled up. It doesn't matter if you were joking, really, since it wasn't said in a joking manner and wouldn't have been taken as a joke when it was read.

When you bounce into a thread with a sensitive issue and fling an insult like that, you know what kind of effect it's going to have. I don't think my comment was out of line at all.
Point taken, but you made it out to be as though I was flinging arguments immaturaly back and forth like some of the others which I was not. It was a simple joke, take it the way you want, but the fact is I AM AN IMBA member, and therefore I have much more right to make fun of it in a satirical manner than those who are not members. Im not trying to harp on IMBA, if I was I wouldn't have donated to its cause, its just the internet folks.....

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
justsomeguy said:
Well it seems for once the rednecks are somewhat on the ball(no pun intended) since they got at least half of that right.
I'm sure you're quite the steaming pile of upward class mobility, aren't you? :rolleyes:

MisterClean

Monkey
Jan 20, 2006
SoCal Supermarket Shelves
B-Pirate said:
Personally, I think spandex and rigid singlespeeding is kind of lame, not MY thing

Obviously Ben was misguided when he said we could outride you at any time anywhere, but please don't think I'm some no talent hack or chairlift rat that throws himself off every huck to flat in sight.
Personally, I think building illegal trails and then whining about it when they get closed on the internet is lame, not MY thing. I'm not sure where you got the notion that I ride rigid singlespeeds in spandex, but it is funny. Are you positive that I only ride it on a-technical trails as well?

Calling Ben misguided is an understatement. Your "resume" is unimpressive, so save it for the other kids on the block. I never said you were a no talent hack, I only indicated that your narrow-mindedness in many aspects of mountain biking (like your love of singlespeeding) make you a clueless hack. Why don't you get Ben to fund a trip and to cover the $5K? It'll be fun.

R

richcreek

if you were in ohio i could have really helped you guys out, i am good friends with the lady that is running for lutennent gov. of the state. it is good to have friends in high places. next time send a letter to the president he mountain bikes to!! republicans kick ass!!-lol-

chicodude

The Spooninator
Mar 28, 2004
Paradise
MisterClean said:
Personally, I think building illegal trails and then whining about it when they get closed on the internet is lame, not MY thing. I'm not sure where you got the notion that I ride rigid singlespeeds in spandex, but it is funny. Are you positive that I only ride it on a-technical trails as well?

Calling Ben misguided is an understatement. Your "resume" is unimpressive, so save it for the other kids on the block. I never said you were a no talent hack, I only indicated that your narrow-mindedness in many aspects of mountain biking (like your love of singlespeeding) make you a clueless hack. Why don't you get Ben to fund a trip and to cover the $5K? It'll be fun.

Good GAWD man.

Could you be more of a complete douche?

LET IT GO. JESUS ****ING CHRIST

T-Pirate

RESPECT!
Sep 28, 2003
Boone, NC/N. Greenville county, SC
MisterClean said:

Wow...you're a real shredder aren't you? Are you seriously calling ME narrow-minded when I just wrote a freakin paragraph about being tolerant of all types of riding, regardless of your own feelings regarding them? I never said anything about what you ride, only used my lack of interest in those arenas of our sport as an example of NOT hating on other people for what they like to do. Like it or not, your sport is going in this direction. I'll pass on the trip bud, not sure you'd enjoy my company anyway. Well if you wanna see some singletrack pics I just posted some in the lounge.

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
MisterClean said:

dude why dont you quit focusing on picking on kids and start focusing on shaving all that hair off your back?

SilentJ

trail builder
Jun 17, 2002
Calgary AB
Changleen said:
He's not smiling cos he just tweaked his vag on the back of his saddle.
jeebus man. You gotta warn people before saying stuff like that!

Pizza on my keyboard. Thanks.

Still laughing.:rofl:

J

JRB

While the NC kids seem whacky from the past, I truly think t-pirate has the best attitude on this board. F*ck those arrogant uppity old bastards that think they are better than everyone. Keep doing what you kids do. I hope you stay clean, and I think you must, since you don't speak like some dumb burner. Again, great attitude t-pirate.

I am pleased to have been gone and missed out on a giant pissing match. I do think justsomeguy and misterclean may be the most obnoxious people on the Internet, and surpassing me was quite a feat. :think:

Zach Dank

Turbo Monkey
Jun 28, 2005
Gnarcal
MisterClean said:

Bwhahahahahahahaha

sorry

bwhahahahahahaha

sweet stash Gunther