Quantcast

10 speed DH drivetrain from Sram

davetrump

Turbo Monkey
Jul 29, 2003
I know this is only testing so far but is there really a need for this for DH or even MTB in general?

http://www.mbaction.com/ME2/dirmod.asp?sid=&nm=&type=news&mod=News&mid=9A02E3B96F2A415ABC72CB5F516B4C10&tier=3&nid=A8AF09514B0E4EC89458F835AE188A54

Pardon me for the MBA link, my 2 year old was pushing buttons on the computer and somehow the MBA site came up.
it would however make sense to develop for the all mountain genre of riding on big bikes that is taking off right now (think mega avalanche type) where a large gear ratio would be nice... 11-34 or so.

but for pure dh you need nothing bigger than a 23, and on most wc tracks a 21 would be enough... and that would only be needed to get out of the start house.

i can tell you a lot of guys on the WC circuit run 7 or 8 spd that have bigger gaps between each gear so yo can shift one gear at a time and actually notice it getting easier or harder to pedal.

in my opinion 10 is too many for those reasons alone.... not to mention smaller chain and tight spacing in the mud

time will tell...

Last edited:

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
As far as DH goes, I think ten speed will suck, Its another standard we dont need for DH and gravity, currently the trend is less gears, and people are asking for this, not just because there is less shifting, but they want the wideset 135 hubs again.

I think the ten speeds will take off in teh xc and am world though, paired with a double crank instead of a tripple will probably be a great combo to have for those disciplines, but DH.... I just dont see it being applicable, or marketable

Steve M

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2007
Whistler
time will tell....

i can tell you a lot of guys on the WC circuit run 7 or 8 spd that have bigger gaps between each gear so yo can shift one gear at a time and actually notice it getting easier or harder to pedal.

in my opinion 10 is too many for those reasons alone.... not to mention smaller chain and tight spacing in the mud

time will tell...
Yeah I agree... 10sp is great if precise cadence matters to you, which it doesn't on a DH bike. I'd happily go 5 well-chosen gears really.

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
Yeah I agree... 10sp is great if precise cadence matters to you, which it doesn't on a DH bike. I'd happily go 5 well-chosen gears really.
Word. I don't ever really find myself riding DH dissatisfied with the gear selection/cadence I have. Road is a different story, but not DH.

BigHitComp04

Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
Morgantown, WV
Pretty much agree with everyone that 10 speed is unnecessary for DH applications. Especially since a lot of WC guys are actually cutting down on the number to reduce weight and unnecessary gearing. XC and AM applications maybe?

Delimeat

Monkey
Feb 3, 2009
Canada
About a year ago I set up a 10 spd SRAM drivetrain on my DH bike using a DoubleTap road shifter and 10 spd cassette. I rode it in *****y mud and run it in dry dusty powder. I never once had a reliability issue, never had to adjust cable tension, and it wasn't affected by mud and dirt. It was for fun than anything and I took it off because the DoubleTap shifter had waaaaaaay to much throw to be comfortable, something SRAM could easily work around.

A bit unnecessary on a DH bike for sure, more likely a just SRAM working the media angle a bit. I bet we'll here about Greg's win w/ the 10 spd at some point in their marketing spiel.

As for 10 gears on a mountain bike I think it could be rad.... but only when done by SRAM. Back in the day I tried more than once to run a 9 spd Shimano set up but it always blew and I ended up back on the 8 spd. My SRAM 9 spd running gear that uses the 1:1 cable pull shifts far better than any Shimano 8 spd system and never needs adjustment. Wether it's over 100 km in the dirt on the xc bike, or days at the resort, it is amazingly reliable. I think if SRAM came out w/ a 10 spd system I would run one on my AM bike for sure..... especially if there was a 36 t cog back there!

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
But great for people who like to ride a chain guide on their trail bikes.
It really wouldnt though, your still going to have the same min and max ranges on them, just closer ratio's. Climbing and max speed will be the same.

Said it earlier, but we are going to start seeing compact doubles on XC and Am bikes. Youll find 11/34 10 sp cassettes with 34/50 front. I think its going to be great for this application. But 10 sp for DH is going to be too finiky to get setup, and too fniky to hold up on a gnar run. Bascially.... if the adjustment goes out a little, its going to effect the shifting too much to keep it consistant during a long DH run

Delimeat

Monkey
Feb 3, 2009
Canada
It really wouldnt though, your still going to have the same min and max ranges on them, just closer ratio's. Climbing and max speed will be the same.

Said it earlier, but we are going to start seeing compact doubles on XC and Am bikes. Youll find 11/34 10 sp cassettes with 34/50 front. I think its going to be great for this application. But 10 sp for DH is going to be too finiky to get setup, and too fniky to hold up on a gnar run. Bascially.... if the adjustment goes out a little, its going to effect the shifting too much to keep it consistant during a long DH run
The 10 spd mtn. cassette I've seen has a 36 t cog, run that with your single 32 t ring/guid combo on your AM bike and it will make a difference. I've got a Hammer**** on my AM rig and would love to have that 36 t cog back there. Then again I am a lazy DH'er!

I've got some time in with a 10 spd set up on a DH bike using SRAM bits, never ever came out of adjustment any more than the 9 spd kit I was running before. I'm in a awfully wet and muddy place, put in a load of time on it, and am a far sh*ttier rider than Greg. I had zero issues! Like I said, I'm not a believer of 10 spd on the DH bike, but I think it can be used w/o any issues on a AM/XC bike where it would be far more useful.