Quantcast

10 worst cars... Second place...yeah it's a hummer

Reactor

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2005
Chandler, AZ, USA
http://money.cnn.com/galleries/2008/autos/0802/gallery.2008_cr_worst_cars/2.html

Score: 27 (out of 100)
Highs: Off-road ability, turning circle
Lows: Acceleration, fuel economy, access, visibility, ride, heavy tailgate, emergency handling, reliability
The H3 is Hummer's smallest model. It's about the same size as a Nissan Pathfinder or Toyota 4Runner. While the H3 is credited with good off-road capabilities, the magazine does not include its off-road tests in the final score either.
A General Motors spokeswoman pointed out that many of GM's more recently introduced models have received much higher ratings from Consumer Reports than the Hummer and Chevrolet vehicles in this list.

What we all knew anyway....

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
After a test drive, I totally agree. One of the biggest personal automotive disappointments ever.

Toyota FJ Cruiser
Score: 36
Highs: Off-road ability, powertrain, reliability
Lows: Visibility, ride, handling, noise, fit and finish, premium fuel, access

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
After a test drive, I totally agree. One of the biggest personal automotive disappointments ever.

Toyota FJ Cruiser

yeah, but you can swap out the latte holders for gun holders for when you go to the mall.

you never know, dude.

Riding

Monkey
Dec 19, 2006
Millis, MA
Great. And I just bought a Jeep Wrangler 4 door. Im liking mine though.
I wouldn't worry about it. The wrangler does what it's designed to do, get you home from whereever. I'm ordering my new one soon. ....and now I have some ammo for the d-bag salesmen.

Dave
O||||O

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus

Toyota FJ Cruiser

shows how dumb the 'research' team was... you can run mid grade octane no problem-o. Info that comes with it even says so.

ride, handling... wrong on that account as well.. unless meh TRD struts are way much better than stock...

Paint does scratch easily tho... and the windshield is as vertical as they get so expect rock chips galore.. i have 7 in a year and a half.

:rolleyes:

CRoss

Turbo Monkey
Nov 20, 2006
The Ranch
I don't think a Jeep Wrangler has ever been marketed as a comfort vehicle.

I guess the saying "Its a jeep thing you wouldn't understand" applies here. Consumer Reports just does not understand.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
I don't think a Jeep Wrangler has ever been marketed as a comfort vehicle.

I guess the saying "Its a jeep thing you wouldn't understand" applies here. Consumer Reports just does not understand.
The thing about Jeep Wranglers is that, it's essentially worthless as it comes from the dealer. I mean if you buy a rubicon, it's one thing, but for the rest... you cant seriously do any offroading with it without some serious mods, and it sucks as a commuter or daily driver.
So since it sucks offroad stock, and sucks onroad stock...exactly why should someone purchase one for anything but a playtoy that hey plan on modifying?

?????

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
San Francisco
That's a horrible test, most of those vehicles are designed with off-roading in mind and obviously what works off-road doesn't work so well on-road.

The others are base model super cheap compact cars.

If this were a bike test we would have learned that downhill bikes are horrible for 50 mile road rides and a $500 bike is not the best bike money can buy.

?????

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
San Francisco
The thing about Jeep Wranglers is that, it's essentially worthless as it comes from the dealer. I mean if you buy a rubicon, it's one thing, but for the rest... you cant seriously do any offroading with it without some serious mods, and it sucks as a commuter or daily driver.
So since it sucks offroad stock, and sucks onroad stock...exactly why should someone purchase one for anything but a playtoy that hey plan on modifying?
It will still do more off-road than any other stock vehicle. If you are on a tight budget you could make a very capable off-road jeep with $1000 in aftermarket parts plus tires.

CRoss

Turbo Monkey
Nov 20, 2006
The Ranch
Exactly you buy a Rubicon or you get a basic Wrangler and do your own mods.

Some people just want to impress people at the mall.:disgust1::busted:

They should have this badge instead of the trail rated one

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
It will still do more off-road than any other stock vehicle. If you are on a tight budget you could make a very capable off-road jeep with $1000 in aftermarket parts plus tires.
yes, so unless you're willing to spend an extra thousand dollars, the vehicle is worthless. That's why it gets bad reviews. The other vehicles, while maybe not as offroad capable, are at least comfortable to some extent, or have other attributes.

?????

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
San Francisco
yes, so unless you're willing to spend an extra thousand dollars, the vehicle is worthless. That's why it gets bad reviews. The other vehicles, while maybe not as offroad capable, are at least comfortable to some extent, or have other attributes.
No, it is still more capable than anything else, it's just that for an extra thousand you can make it vastly more capable.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
No, it is still more capable than anything else, it's just that for an extra thousand you can make it vastly more capable.
Really it's nothing special. Ive owned one. It's impractical for almost anyone and stock is not "good" for anything. You can keep posting and saying it isn't so, but it wont change the reviewers' and anyone with common sense's minds. It is a "2nd car" type vehicle and nothing more.

CRoss

Turbo Monkey
Nov 20, 2006
The Ranch
Really it's nothing special. Ive owned one. It's impractical for almost anyone and stock is not "good" for anything. You can keep posting and saying it isn't so, but it wont change the reviewers' and anyone with common sense's minds. It is a "2nd car" type vehicle and nothing more.
Most people realize this so a bad review like this one will not hurt it that much.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
Most people realize this so a bad review like this one will not hurt it that much.
Well Im not saying that's the case. Just stating why it gets bad reviews. Of course jeeps have their place and will always have their followers. They've kept with the same basic design because it works for a specific purpose, and that's fine. It's just not going to be very competitive on a mass scale with these other SUVs.

?????

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
San Francisco
Sorta true, depending on how well you build it.

It is a fun toy and acceptable as an only vehicle when you're in college and have access to your parents vehicles.

TLadeau

Chimp
Oct 29, 2006
Hampton, NH
I was suprised to see this in the 10 best...

The Silverado is the first vehicle from a Detroit car company to make Consumer's top 10 since 2005.

A bigger surprise is why the Silverado was chosen over the Toyota Tundra, even though the Tundra did better in Consumer Reports' performance testing. But the Toyota didn't score high enough on reliability to earn the pick.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Europe will have its own worst 10, so will South America... get it?

People who read consumer reports are not likely to be interested in vehicles not available to them.
This is true. However, there are quite a few imported cars avaliable in the US. The fact remains that most of the cars CR thinks sucks are American, and most of the ones they like aren't.

Bixxle

Chimp
Dec 29, 2007
BS for teh win.

Stock jeeps sans rubicon package are nothing special. A tacoma 4x4, X-terra, or an FJ cruiser could go to more places than a stock jeep on stock tires (28 in.?) Especially N 8's cruiser with a locker and somewhat real tires. Stock jeeps have low ground clearance, but decent appr., dept. angles. 4 wheel-drive systems are stone age, and the best your going to get is a rear LSD.

A stock rubicon isn't exactly amazing. N 8's Fj could probably do as much as a stock rubicon. But is limited by it's IFS. Rubicon has front and rear lockers, and a legit. low range. If you aren't looking to go hardcore offroad, the wrangler really isn't the best choice, Unless you are just trying to look outdoorsy.

DirtyDog

Gang probed by the Golden Banana
Aug 2, 2005
That's a horrible test, most of those vehicles are designed with off-roading in mind and obviously what works off-road doesn't work so well on-road.
It's a great test. The point is exactly what they said it was - rating vehicles for what most people use them for which is taking the kids to McDonalds. I always thought the FJ was a stupid choice for the local soccer moms and now that I own one I'm certain that it's a ****ty choice for an around town vehicle. I was actually happy to see the FJ show up on this list.

If I wasn't doing backcountry stuff in support of my other sites, I would have bought an 08 Subaru Impreza - which is a much better vehicle for most of the driving I do. Sometimes I wish I had a quick little car instead - but the subie just can't do everything I need it to.

Monkey
if they did a worst bikes on the market, the best DH rigs will rate the worst for being heavy, over priced, and sluggish for riding to the local baking contest.

totally gey opinions, but the H3 is pretty gey too. No love lost there

skinny mike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2005
if they did a worst bikes on the market, the best DH rigs will rate the worst for being heavy, over priced, and sluggish for riding to the local baking contest.
pretty much all of the people who buy downhill bikes ride dh on them, very few of the total number of people who buy jeeps actually go offroading.

Bixxle

Chimp
Dec 29, 2007
pretty much all of the people who buy downhill bikes ride dh on them, very few of the total number of people who buy jeeps actually go offroading.
Supposedly Land Rovers have the highest percent of people who actually offroad them, at 13%.

DirtMcGirk

<b>WAY</b> Dumber than N8 (to the power of ten alm
Feb 21, 2008
Oz
Great. And I just bought a Jeep Wrangler 4 door. Im liking mine though.

What all have you done to this? I want to trade the wife's little car in on one of these, and what you have is exactly what I want (but in white).