Quantcast

100 Days...

DS Dom

Monkey
Nov 14, 2001
Denver, Co
So its been 100 days since I broke/fractured my scaphoid in Whistler. Finally no more casts/braces but now its time for 6-8 weeks of physical therapy. Who knows.. maybe I'll be able to ride some time before February. :banghead:

I don't really know what the point of this post was, but breaking things really sucks.

maddogdh

Monkey
Aug 16, 2005
Highland Lakes, NJ
Dom I feel for you and I can tell you will ride faster and fly father again. Try being me though. Fractured ankle broken fibula at the same time a constuction accident. A broken collar bone "DH" a proximal humerus bone "DH" and most recently another broke collar bone and a distal radius fracture at the same time that required surgery. Guess where? Diablo, iv'e been out since 6/17/06 except for a few xc rides. Hey train like crazy for next season. Will you be racing?

blt2ride

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2005
Chatsworth
So its been 100 days since I broke/fractured my scaphoid in Whistler. Finally no more casts/braces but now its time for 6-8 weeks of physical therapy. Who knows.. maybe I'll be able to ride some time before February. :banghead:

I don't really know what the point of this post was, but breaking things really sucks.
Yes it does! I know your pain and frustration. I spend a lot time in a cast when I was a kid. I had a spiral fracture of my tibia and fibula, which left me in a cast for nearly 3 months and another 3 months of physical therapy.

I wish you luck with your injury…hopefully you’ll be able to get back on your bike before February.

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
Dom I feel for you and I can tell you will ride faster and fly father again. Try being me though. Fractured ankle broken fibula at the same time a constuction accident. A broken collar bone "DH" a proximal humerus bone "DH" and most recently another broke collar bone and a distal radius fracture at the same time that required surgery. Guess where? Diablo, iv'e been out since 6/17/06 except for a few xc rides. Hey train like crazy for next season. Will you be racing?

holy crap :shocked:

nh dude

Monkey
May 30, 2003
Vt
rob up at sinister did the same scaphoid thing dirt jumping in october
his entire arm (up to his elbow ) was in a cast a few weeks ago
but now he has a smaller cast just around his wrist
getting injured sucks especially small bones that turn to dust
its not so much the initial pain but all the inconviences during recovery
good luck

MichaelT

Monkey
Sep 19, 2001
home

Dom,

I feel for you. I was in a cast for 16 or 17 weeks for my union of my non-union scaphoid. That injury drove me nuts. I was out of the cast in March. that April at Sea Otter that year, I could not turn a wrench. Did you use Electro stim?

Michael
e.thirteen / Evil

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
As said before, keep up with the PT and range of mobility work.

I did my left navicular/scaphoid @ Whistler two years ago. I had an acutrack screw put in the following week and the healing went well. Three months in a cast and then PT, and I still have a very small loss of range and some soreness at full flexion. Strengthening and stretching are the key!!!

Next up for me..spinal surgery..

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
Dom,

I feel for you. I was in a cast for 16 or 17 weeks for my union of my non-union scaphoid. That injury drove me nuts. I was out of the cast in March. that April at Sea Otter that year, I could not turn a wrench. Did you use Electro stim?

Michael
e.thirteen / Evil
Damn Michael,
17 weeks must have been brutal. My scaphoid injury was 10 weeks in a hard cast, and 2 weeks in a soft cast. Even after 10 weeks, my arm was just skin and bone. It looked so nasty. The use of my hand came back rather quickly, but actually riding strong on a bike took a long time.

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
zomfg i got my cast off my broken scaphoid 2 weeks ago!!! They said wait 6 weeks. I bought a wrist guard and was on after about 10 days.

TomBo

Monkey
Jan 13, 2004
Calgary,Alberta
On my 6th week with a displaced clavicle fracture, not so bad. Now that I read all of this.
The only downer for me is that the bone set funny, one end points out against the skin of my chest.