Quantcast

100mm or 120mm fork???

Air23

Chimp
Jan 17, 2008
Hi
I want to change my old RST 100mm fork with a new one Marzocchi/Rock Shox but i don't know what is better to install 100mm or 120mm???I ask this because i like to do small jumps/little downhill.Will i have problem with my hardtail bike geometry???

Jimmi707

Chimp
Oct 16, 2007
Brisvagus Ozland
20mm wont effect geometry too drastically. Me and my brother have same frame where initially mine had 130mm to his 100. Now I have 100 reba and he 120 MX pro eta, it hasn’t been an issue. There are more features and performance characteristics that you want to consider beyond just travel, including cost.

But all things being equal no really complains about having an inch more than what they need.

r464

Turbo Monkey
Oct 17, 2006
Earth
For each inch increase in fork height/travel, you will generally slacken the angle of the head tube (steering angle) by one degree. This will result in slower, but more stable, steering.

It will also raise your bottom bracket by a small amount.

The longer the fork, the more stress there is placed upon the frame as well. For a 20mm increase, this is not significant, but it is something that would be of concern if you were to install a drastically longer fork onto a frame.

fuct

Chimp
Feb 10, 2008
i look at it for as much as you do more. if you hit jumps that 1 percent more go with the 100mm but if you like goin down more go with the 120mm or you could go with a rock shox u-turn were if your on a mission traveln down leave that u-turn alone but if your ripen the trails crank that u-turn down tilll you fell like is a little stifffer and lower. but deffinitly get a 20mm.

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
Hi
I want to change my old RST 100mm fork with a new one Marzocchi/Rock Shox but i don't know what is better to install 100mm or 120mm???I ask this because i like to do small jumps/little downhill.Will i have problem with my hardtail bike geometry???
hmm well since it's such and old fork...is the frame old as well? That would be the determining factor IMO...many older frames geometry can't handle a 120mm fork without some pretty significant differences in geometry...D