Quantcast

104 PCD 34-36t non narrow wide chainring, what are the options?

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Proper noobish question.
I want a normal chainring to suit an 11/12spd chain, would rather a lizardy oval chainring but round would be sweet too, a steel chainring would be awesome as I am lazy and hate replacing things.
I have non boost cranks with 104 PCD tabs.
What is out there?
Cheers.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Surly or Truvativ will have steel singlespeed chainrings in 34 or 36T. You'll struggle to find something oval though, they weren't that common before NW.

Easiest option might be just to look for someone selling an old Saint 36T chainring. I think I've got a couple on the shelf but you're a long way away :p

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
any reason you don't want an NW ring? i think that's going to be a major limiting factor. i can't think of anyone offhand that's making an 11/12 spd ring that isn't narrow/wide, regardless of mount (bcd or dm) or shape (round / oval).

i've checked:
wolftooth
one up
praxis
race face

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Surly makes a stainless steel 104bcd 36T non-narrow wide ring, but only round.

nevermind. not compatible with anything above 9speed.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
12 speed, particularly Shimano anything or SRAM road might start to be an issue. But I don't believe there's any issue running an 11 speed chain on a 9 speed singlespeed chainring.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
PCD? do you mean BCD?
Yeah sorry, I've had Pitch Circle drummed in to me.

any reason you don't want an NW ring? i think that's going to be a major limiting factor. i can't think of anyone offhand that's making an 11/12 spd ring that isn't narrow/wide, regardless of mount (bcd or dm) or shape (round / oval).

i've checked:
wolftooth
one up
praxis
race face
They seem to grab and perform poorly in muddy conditions and I want to see if an upper guide and bash is enough to keep a chain on.
Oh and I am a tight ass and run chainrings until they are beyond dead, worn NW rings don't like new chains much.

I read(on a forum) that the inner chain widths haven't changed since 9spd but that can't be the case can it? Where did the weduction in width come from?

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
I read(on a forum) that the inner chain widths haven't changed since 9spd but that can't be the case can it? Where did the weduction in width come from?
They made the plates thinner so the outer width reduced.

Prior to my previous reply I did wander downstairs and try a section of 11 speed chain across an old Saint and Zee chainring.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Hope made/makes them, no oval though.