Quantcast

10E mt XC race disaster !

splat

Nam I am
Today was the first XC race at 10E. ( http://www.root66raceseries.com/ ) I did not have a good feeling about this , with a fresh cut trail , and a trail made by Downhillers. but I went anyway. when I got there I started hearing things from the people who pre-rode it what it was not good.

I was racing Begginer old farts, our race was first at 10 AM , started with out a problem. and the first thing you did ! right up the Mt! I did not object to this ( my legs might have ) we got about 1/3 of the way and turned down ( the Sports and Begginers were "suppose" to continue Up! and come right back down the SAME trail with nothing but a thin ribbon between them) I was flying down the fire road and had to make a sharp right turn , at this point some one came up behind me way too fast and lost it on that turn just missing taking me out. we continued down and went right past the start and on to a section of PAvement for about 50 yards then tunred on to a sandy road, I followed the guy in front of me and we went on the wrong side of the tape , we were in the oncoming track ! ( no problem every one is till pretty close to gether so nobody iscoming yet ) we got on the right side then went up this nasty 10 foot wide very technical and some what muddy Up hail trail , that was cut down the middle with a Peice of tape seperating the up hill and down hill course ! ( this was really bad! ) this section was Walk city! even the pro's pre riding were walking , heck on my 2nd lap a motorcycle couldn't get up this. and we were expected to ride it ? well I got to the top , and it was just a turn around and come down ( no Marshall up top , would have been very easy to cheat ) now I'm barreling down at people Just sepreated by a couple of inches of Tape and a couple times I was pushingthat tape aside . got through that ,back through the sandy road a up a little hill to the Start finishe and then procedded to do my 2nd lap. it was a 3.7 mile lap which took me 24 minutes to do 2nd lap took me 27 minutes when I looked at the clock when I crossed it said 54 minutes , but my Offical time says 1:10 ? :smt017 did effect my standing ( I got 2nd ) so I did not complain. they had bigger fish to fry !

The Pros were protesting this race as Dangerous! ( and it was ) and the Norba offical interviewed a bunch of us Begginers ( gunnie pigs ) , me being one of them , then He made a Gutsy decsion and cancelled the rest of the races due to saftey concerns, and most of the riders cheered about it !

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Man, that does not sound like a lot of fun. :( Sounds poorly planned, poorly organized, and poorly executed. Glad you made it through in one piece, Splat.

From their website's forums regarding that race:

"Re: Tenney update
Author: bjc15
Date: 07-10-04 19:30

That kinda sucked. "

Sorry to hear about that Splat - so are they counting your finish in the season standings since the other classes were cancelled?

edit: are you doing the one on July 25th in CT? we come back from FL on the 24th - maybe we could come cheer you on!

splat

Nam I am
As far as Points went . My classs ( the beginers ), had a complete race, so I got my Points , which now has made me the Point leader in my category. which I got another leaders jersey for

the other classes , got a refund of there race fee's and all who were present were going to get 30 ( 1 /2 win) point

splat

Nam I am
Here is a Picture , atthe bottom of the one section.

you were bombing down the left side , while trying to ride up the right side. and you see that rock a litte ways up , the line was on ther right( tape) side of it, and on both my laps I had to "push" on the tape as I went around it.

TimeBomb

Chimp
Apr 22, 2002
Brockton, MA, U.S.A.
I was there. I felt bad for the peeps that showed up only to go home.

Congrats on a fine finish Splat. Not to mention... didn't your kids finish 1st & 2nd in their class ?