Quantcast

10mm to 14mm adapters?

inkdwheels

Chimp
Jan 27, 2004
Bay Area
My banshee scratch has 14mm dropouts. It compes with a 10mm dropout with a der. hanger and a little spacer that threads onto my 10mm axle to fit in the other 14mm dropout. I wanted to get a pair of these.

but they only make them for 3/8" bmx axles.

My plan (someone tell me if this won't work) is to buy a hollow 14mm chromoly axle, like for a bmx cassette hub, and tehn buy a 10mmx1 tap and tap the axle and cut it to make 2 adapters that slide over my existing 10mm axle.

Does anyone have an easier way?

bikenweed

Turbo Monkey
Oct 21, 2004
Los Osos
Well, I run those on my rear BMX axle, and they fit. A 3/8¨ axle is basically a 10mm axle, right? I would think they fit, but you might want to go to your LBS and just find out if they do fit or not. Most every shop has a random 10mm axle laying around, and any good BMX shop has the conversion bolts like in your picture.

inkdwheels

Chimp
Jan 27, 2004
Bay Area
bikenweed said:
Well, I run those on my rear BMX axle, and they fit. A 3/8¨ axle is basically a 10mm axle, right? I would think they fit, but you might want to go to your LBS and just find out if they do fit or not. Most every shop has a random 10mm axle laying around, and any good BMX shop has the conversion bolts like in your picture.

They are diff. The 10mm axle is bigger, I allready tried it at my lbs.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
bikenweed said:

got a question for you. on your bmx bike, were you able to run them with the hex part (the part you use to tighten them) against your hubs? i tried that (since it would look normal) but they didnt fit in the dropouts, so i had to run them with the hex part on the outside, and they just look really weird.

inkdwheels

Chimp
Jan 27, 2004
Bay Area
On the bmx hubs you have to take off your locknuts before you put the adapters on. The flange on the adapters acts as your new locknut