Quantcast

10wt + 2.5wt = 5wt ??

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
Ok, i have some Racetech fork oil in 10wt and 2.5wt....does anyone know the mix ratio to get me too 5wt......?

I need 5wt because Rock Shox says so....

thanks...

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
I don't think it works exactly that way. The weight number refers to the center of a distribution of molecular weights of the organic molecules that make up the oil. If you mix 2.5 and 10 you'll get a bimodal distribution of molecules with molecular weights that correspond to the specified oil weights of 2.5 and 10. No matter what you do you aren't going to get an even distribution centered around 5. But then again, I'm not sure how much it matters in practice for this application.

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
Why do you think that any particular viscosity that you buy is not already a mix of many different base oils and additives...and thus not a 'normal' distibution? In other words, is there a discernable difference between a normal curve with large variance.....and a bimodal..trimodal..etc. Any data set if looked at closely enough, could be seen as multiple (the number of data points) 'modals'.

Further, why do you think that the viscosity of the oil is directly related to the average molecular weight of the oil polymer chain? There are all kinds of additives and modifiers in these products AFAIK. They could all be the same base oil mol. weight with differing amounts of viscosity modifiers, no?

PDS RX

Monkey
Sep 11, 2007
Richmond VA
why Do You Think That Any Particular Viscosity That You Buy Is Not Already A Mix Of Many Different Base Oils And Additives...and Thus Not A 'normal' Distibution? In Other Words, Is There A Discernable Difference Between A Normal Curve With Large Variance.....and A Bimodal..trimodal..etc. Any Data Set If Looked At Closely Enough, Could Be Seen As Multiple (the Number Of Data Points) 'modals'.

Further, Why Do You Think That The Viscosity Of The Oil Is Directly Related To The Average Molecular Weight Of The Oil Polymer Chain? There Are All Kinds Of Additives And Modifiers In These Products Afaik. They Could All Be The Same Base Oil Mol. Weight With Differing Amounts Of Viscosity Modifiers, No?
Yea!!!!!

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
Doesn't work that way, at all. The weight isn't a linear relationship anyway if I remember correctly.

Although with the way fork oils are labeled, it'll be close enough. http://www.peterverdonedesigns.com/lowspeed.htm Refer to this chart for actual weights.

Isn't a linear relationship to what??? While the listed 'weights' from oil mfg don't mean much as there is no standard way of measuring this value, the cSt values are meaningful and and can be used to calculate/mix an 'in between' viscosity based on simple proportions. Suspension fluids are mixed all the time.

Directly from Redline: "They (suspension oils) can be blended together in any proportion to achieve an intermediate viscosity".

Sorry, but all suspension as well as all other consumer oil products have additives (wear additives, anti-foaming, film strength, anti-oxidization, viscosity modifiers, etc) of some sort.

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
I mean a 10w isn't necessarily 4 times or 2 times thicker or "heavier" than a 2.5w or 5w. Meaning if you blended equal amounts of 5w and 10w, you would not get 7.5w. I seem to remember that you would get something between 5w and 10w.

This is all provided that it is the same fluid manufacturer so the fluids are calibrated and you have some basis for comparison - meaning their own 7.5w oil to test against once you've mixed. I think there was a writeup about that on the Verdone website as well.

NY_Star

Turbo Monkey
You all are getting way over complicated and think that fine tuning your oil weight is going to have major effects on your suspension. This is wrong, Oil for better or worse is Oil. Oil weights will vary from brand to brand too. One brands 5wt will be another's 7wt so it really makes little difference. Time could be better spent on adjusting the shim stack to get desired effects.

Last edited:

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
Small changes in actual viscosities make a BIG difference. That will shift your whole compression curve.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
I just think that changing your oil is not the best way to change your set up
It can be on the right fork. I was blowing thru my compression on my shiver until I switched to 10wt. This is a fork w/o adjustable compression. Maybe I could have done something internal, but it would have been renegade.

To the OP, I have mixed 5 and 10 to get ~7.5 with acceptable results. In fact, I used to do it all the time until my moto shop started carrying 7.5
So yeah, mix some up and go ride you bike.

dropmachine

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Your face.
QUESTION::

Sally has 4l of 10wt oil, and wants 3l of 7wt. Jenny has 5l of 2.5 wt oil, and wants to end up with 6l of 5wt.

So, is it possible for both of them to get what they want, and if so how?

ANSWER ::

I dunno, but them bichez is gonna need moar shimz to control all that flowin, or its gonna get freaky REAL FAST.

** this message brought to you by 3am and leftover easter chocolate. And the number A²

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
Redline is synthetic so mixing isnt a problem.

I was told with other oils you have to stick to same brand name.

What do I know... I always use Redline. :)