Quantcast

11-25 cassettes

realityDH1

Chimp
Sep 2, 2002
Atlanta
Besides weight, will I gain any other advantage between the dur-ace and the ultegra 11-25 rear cassette? I am racing DH. Which to buy?

indieboy

Want fries with that?
Jan 4, 2002
atlanta
that's pretty much the size i'm using on my xc bike right now. both will work just fine. i'd save the money and get the ultegra b/c the cost to the weight saving between the 2 aren't worth it to be honest, well atelast not for mtn biking.

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
"saving 50g on your cassette is not going to make any difference to the feel of your bike....."

IS LIKE SAYING

"there's no point in me voting, one person doesn't make a difference"

I like to think my bike's pretty light (check my sig if you like), but it didn't happen by buying one or two light bits. If you want a light bike everything needs to be light. 50g here, 20g there, 100g there, 10g here. All adds up.

Get the dura-ace if your bike is already pretty light or if you intend on making it so. If the dura-ace would be the only light bit on an otherwise "standard-fare" DH bike don't bother.

- seb

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
Originally posted by Seb (UK)
"saving 50g on your cassette is not going to make any difference to the feel of your bike....."

IS LIKE SAYING

"there's no point in me voting, one person doesn't make a difference"

I like to think my bike's pretty light (check my sig if you like), but it didn't happen by buying one or two light bits. If you want a light bike everything needs to be light. 50g here, 20g there, 100g there, 10g here. All adds up.

Get the dura-ace if your bike is already pretty light or if you intend on making it so. If the dura-ace would be the only light bit on an otherwise "standard-fare" DH bike don't bother.

- seb
I disagree....if you can only save 50 grams but you have to spend 33% more it's not really worth it.....if 50 grams is really that important to you then ride without socks or something....sheesh!

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
Originally posted by BMXman

I disagree....if you can only save 50 grams but you have to spend 33% more it's not really worth it.....if 50 grams is really that important to you then ride without socks or something....sheesh!
Well that 50g is a 20% weight saving. Ish.

so you could extrapolate and liken the choice to that between a £4000 40lb race bike, or a £3000 50lb race bike.

And I'd gladly spend that extra 1000.

Sep 7, 2001
Copenhagen- Denmark!
You can split both an Ultegra- and an Dura Ace cassette!- so my advice is- take a powerdrill and make all holes a bit bigger- ya' know!.... it's been used in the XC circuits for year, and is as usefull for us weight weenie Downhillers... :thumb:... it won't affect performance...;)