Quantcast

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Remy just shared this. The trail is way longer than I had thought...and tech, jeebus.

Maybe one day we'll see a new world cup stop, that'd be nice. Rather than the same old tracks every year...

Or maybe Redbull is helping fund it. :brows:

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
In my head I can't help reading the title as "eleven ninety nine" with a dodgy Apu style Asian accent.

shirk007

Monkey
Apr 14, 2009
Kinda looks like a one line track? Didn't see spots in the woods that would have wide taping and have the options for 2-3 different unique lines to develop.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Kinda looks like a one line track? Didn't see spots in the woods that would have wide taping and have the options for 2-3 different unique lines to develop.
Also looked like they'd run out of tree pads before the first crossing and those little berms would have vanished after first practise during a race weekend.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
the natural sections of the track look amazing! what I wouldn't give to ride some fresh loam again...

also, finally something steep enough in NA to mimic some of the European venues.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
now that they have a track, they need to give the UCI an unnecessarily large sum of money
Yes but think of the return on that investment. All that publicity! Everyone that watches WC DH that hasn't heard of Whistler Bike Park will be keen to visit. That could be as many as three extra visitors!

FlipFantasia

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Sea to Sky BC
I've been told, 1 of the 2 current top 2 riders on the WC thinks it's too steep for a WC.

In terms of WC potential, I was riding with a senior manager from WB last summer who oversees much of the bike park development stuff who's bullish on it, and she's been in and around management for many years and has been doing a lot of good things imo. I think her perspective is probably shared by many both within WB and certainly in the community.

Crankworx DH is already sanctioned by Cycling BC so that side of things shouldn't be an issue.

Whether or not Vail corporate can bridge any of the sponsorship gaps, or if they're even is interested in an event like that (doubtful) is the bigger question.

konastab01

Turbo Monkey
Dec 7, 2004
I've been told, 1 of the 2 current top 2 riders on the WC thinks it's too steep for a WC.
What do they want, just a big track like leogang, it fuckin sucks.

It looks super techy and with some rain on that will be dangerous but that's for the best in the world to fight it out they have the skills. Dont know if I could ride that as much these days.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
ahhh...assumed that was "the race" they kept talking about. some of those triples and drops are above my 49yo paygrade but the steep natural rooty rocky janky shit looked *chef's kiss*

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
Thanks for the local context Flip, I was hoping to get to Whistler this year but it looks like it won't happen. I really don't understand this angle though, what does that even mean? Obviously they can all handle it, shake things up a bit and put some uniqueness back in the circuit.

konifere

Monkey
Dec 20, 2021
What I can't stand is how close he always follows people. In one video he followed a guy in an adaptative MTB and he's riding like a foot or two behind. I guess some poeple don't mind, but I can't stand this on the road, neither in trails.

The track looks legit though!

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
In one video he followed a guy in an adaptative MTB and he's riding like a foot or two behind.
Do you mean this video from a few months ago?
The two of them seemed to have a great relationship on the trail and Remy seemed to be riding no closer than the adaptive rider was comfortable. But also rode at an obviously way slower pace than he usual would and well within his limits.
Almost as if any time he was close he felt he'd have plenty time to pre-empt any issues and react appropriately? Remy couldn't have been more encouraging, helpful, patient and courteous. Def seems like a good guy to me.
I guess some poeple don't mind, but I can't stand this on the road, neither in trails.
Actual roadies are extremely comfortable riding at high speeds rubbing shoulders and following wheels mere inches apart, nevermind feet. Personally I think nothing of riding super close to good riding buddies or them riding super close to me. after a while you learn how each other ride including pre-empting the situation.
It's not cool doing any of this to strangers without introducing yourself and asking though.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Remy is Remy, but at least his videos usually don't feature obnoxious click bait crap like this
TBF Lewis is Lewis

you'll be over the moon to hear he's out there right now and just posted his take on the 1199

FlipFantasia

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Sea to Sky BC
I'm not a huge youtuber fan and only watch occasional vids of his, but I'll give credit to Remy, he's a good dude and an amazingly talented rider. Have ridden with him a few times on group rides and he's really personable and respectful overall.

konifere

Monkey
Dec 20, 2021
No, not this one, it was another one from a few years ago when he was riding in Whistler with a guy who's been in an adapative bike for many seasons. But on almost every video I've seen of him, he seems to be following really close . Maybe it's just the Gopro angle that amplifies that.

He even mentionned " Maybe I was following you a bit too close..." at some point it this latest 1199 video.

Anhyway, it must be fine for other people since they don't tell him. It's just a pet peeve of mine!

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
No, not this one, it was another one from a few years ago when he was riding in Whistler with a guy who's been in an adapative bike for many seasons. But on almost every video I've seen of him, he seems to be following really close . Maybe it's just the Gopro angle that amplifies that.

He even mentionned " Maybe I was following you a bit too close..." at some point it this latest 1199 video.

Anhyway, it must be fine for other people since they don't tell him. It's just a pet peeve of mine!
I haven't watched too many of his videos TBF but it kinda looks like he's got the hang of riding close enough that he captures the tother rider well without causing issues. And because of it is able to comment and guide the rider in front. Much like a pro level coach may do with a familiar student. Seems to also make for good interesting content really.

Fair enough. if it's not your bag. And I'm sure your riding buddies will respect that.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
The two of them seemed to have a great relationship on the trail and Remy seemed to be riding no closer than the adaptive rider was comfortable. But also rode at an obviously way slower pace than he usual would and well within his limits.
Almost as if any time he was close he felt he'd have plenty time to pre-empt any issues and react appropriately? Remy couldn't have been more encouraging, helpful, patient and courteous. Def seems like a good guy to me.

Actual roadies are extremely comfortable riding at high speeds rubbing shoulders and following wheels mere inches apart, nevermind feet. Personally I think nothing of riding super close to good riding buddies or them riding super close to me. after a while you learn how each other ride including pre-empting the situation.
It's not cool doing any of this to strangers without introducing yourself and asking though.

I once rode a few (5 or 6) laps with Stacy Kohut and a few of his buddies in Whistler. He's fast AF on his quad bike, but there's no doubt having four points of friction and probably less mass than me makes a huge difference in how much speed he can carry. I'm by no means a particularly fast rider, but even coasting down A-Line I'd catch up to him and have to brake a fair bit. But holy hell could he ever boost that chair to kingdom come! he would go MASSIVE on it!

anyways, my takeaway is that a) the guy in the vid is probably used to people riding close to him, and b) I assume you have to ride close with a go-pro on to make it look decent. otherwise the person out front looks tiny and distorted...

konifere

Monkey
Dec 20, 2021
Yep, all valid points. I'm often riding with friends and we chat all the time on XC rides, so I guess we're still pretty close, but riding DH trails I leave more space. Like I said, it's probably just a pet peeve of mine.