Quantcast

'12 Fox Float 32 150 FiT or '11 Rock Shox Revelation 120/150

Rapplez

Chimp
Apr 27, 2010
Marysville Wa
Im in the process of building up a sub 25 lb all mountain bike. I weigh 130 lbs and I need some help and input on which fork I should strap on the front of my new steed.

My choices include:
2012 Fox Float 32 w/ Fit 150mm. Fox is Fox, they're very dependable, and very innovative. But weight is a factor.
Or
2011 Rock Shox Revelation dual position 120/150mm. This fork is one of a kind, Carbon one piece steer tube and crown. The weights is right. but thats it.....One piece Carbon steer tube and crown!! Should I be skeptical?

I could use some input on either product. Lets hear what you have to say.

Thanks!

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Im in the process of building up a sub 25 lb all mountain bike. I weigh 130 lbs and I need some help and input on which fork I should strap on the front of my new steed.

My choices include:
2012 Fox Float 32 w/ Fit 150mm. Fox is Fox, they're very dependable, and very innovative. But weight is a factor.
Or
2011 Rock Shox Revelation dual position 120/150mm. This fork is one of a kind, Carbon one piece steer tube and crown. The weights is right. but thats it.....One piece Carbon steer tube and crown!! Should I be skeptical?

I could use some input on either product. Lets hear what you have to say.

Thanks!
The carbon steerer/crown is part of the World cup model. You can check it out on the RS website. How much you weight and how you ride will also make a huge difference in which fork to get. If you are a big guy and ride like it, I would avoid the carbon.

I'm not sure how much weight is a factor, but look at the weight and monetize it. If I remember correctly, the weight difference between the non-carbon RS and Float is less than .2#. At that point how much will it cost you to just spend more time on the bike to lose that weight off yourself. There's always the old saying: "it's not the bike, it's the rider'.. Which you can quickly follow up with: "it costs me less to isht a pound than to lose 200g off my bike."

If you are looking at these two forks, you are probably not racing XC. So get the one that feels best to you. Weight is an after thought once you have a bike that feels good. It's great to have a light bike, but if you don't like how it rides you're stuck with that. Just food for thought.

Oh and I have ridden Fox forever. I decided to go for the RS over the Float because I have been so impressed by the new RS gravity forks. I then decided to get a 29'er instead, so I can't help you on the feel in comparison.

Rapplez

Chimp
Apr 27, 2010
Marysville Wa
The carbon steerer/crown is part of the World cup model. You can check it out on the RS website. How much you weight and how you ride will also make a huge difference in which fork to get. If you are a big guy and ride like it, I would avoid the carbon.

I'm not sure how much weight is a factor, but look at the weight and monetize it. If I remember correctly, the weight difference between the non-carbon RS and Float is less than .2#. At that point how much will it cost you to just spend more time on the bike to lose that weight off yourself. There's always the old saying: "it's not the bike, it's the rider'.. Which you can quickly follow up with: "it costs me less to isht a pound than to lose 200g off my bike."

If you are looking at these two forks, you are probably not racing XC. So get the one that feels best to you. Weight is an after thought once you have a bike that feels good. It's great to have a light bike, but if you don't like how it rides you're stuck with that. Just food for thought.

Oh and I have ridden Fox forever. I decided to go for the RS over the Float because I have been so impressed by the new RS gravity forks. I then decided to get a 29'er instead, so I can't help you on the feel in comparison.
I value your thoughts and opinions, Thank you.
Ive been told I'm a fluid rider, not very hard on my equipment. But either way, I really enjoy the life spane, strength/weight ratio of aluminum like you mentioned.

Jul 26, 2004
Seattle, WA
I dont know if they've fixed it (probably have), but RS was having issues with the "u-turn" revelations back in 2009 and 2010. I went with a 2010 revelation 'team' 150mm with 20mm QR on my Blur LT and i love it.

even if they fixed the issues with them, i'd still say stick with the non travel adjust, usually cheaper and less complicated, easier service, etc..

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
I dont know if they've fixed it (probably have), but RS was having issues with the "u-turn" revelations back in 2009 and 2010. I went with a 2010 revelation 'team' 150mm with 20mm QR on my Blur LT and i love it.

even if they fixed the issues with them, i'd still say stick with the non travel adjust, usually cheaper and less complicated, easier service, etc..
The dual position, iirc, is the fixed travel that must be adjusted internally.

stumpjump

Monkey
Sep 14, 2007
DC
My buddy just snapped his carbon steerer tube on his revalation. Saved a little money, but all thats going towards hospital bills now.

Go float.

ACHTUNG

Chimp
Dec 13, 2011
Live Free or Die
I'm also in the middle of building a sub 25lb all mountain and had to decide between the exact same two forks. I ended up going with the Float 32 150 FIT. Heavier but I decided that I needed the durability since I hit 4' - 5' drops regularly. I ended up making up for the added weight with other components (carbon riser bar, carbon seatpost and lighter wheelset.)