Quantcast

12 Hour Race solo refueling help

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
Do you just try to bang out the miles on Cilf bars(tm) and Gu(tm) and water and cytomax or is there some food that you eat after every lap?
or do you go two laps then refuel?
or alternate in some funky way?
At a moderate pace i can run this 10.5 mile course for 3 laps but will feel "mr bonk" during the 3rd lap. At a conservative lap time estimate of 1:30 per lap, 1:20 for the lap :10 for refuel/recovery, i should be able to knock out 8 laps. I'm not trying to "win" i just want to put in a good effort and seeing how the winner last year did 13 laps I’m already not in contention for that spot.

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Nope, I usually eat a huge breakfast, and then eat something solid after about 30 miles. I like peanut butter and honey sandwiches (no crust), crackers, poppyseed bread, bananas, granola bars, tortillas....basically, anything with carbs that is easy on your stomach and fast to eat.

I still drink Smartfuel Buzzaide during my laps and Hammer Gel every once in awhile too. I don't recommend doing the race on non food stuff alone.

flycykel

Chimp
Dec 5, 2002
Long Island, NY
Not having been in that situation - yet. . .

I would think it best to start with a "good" pre-race meal
about 2 1/2 hrs prior and then just keep adding to it after every lap. The ol addage - eat before your hungry, drink before your thirsty - - should be satisfied this way.

Hey race-prep nutrition-geeks am I close?

:confused:

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
Heidi have you ever done the 12-hour format?
Should I have a different strategy then a 24-hour race format?
And of course the prior question is assuming I understand the mindset of the solo racer. I have previously done 24-hour races on 5 and 4 person teams and 12-hour races on 4 person teams. For those races I usually go out at close to my regular race pace. I know I don’t have the endurance to sustain that for the whole 12 hours, my race pace on this course was about a 53 minute lap, so I’m planning on adding at least 20 minutes to that to try to tough it out the whole time.

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Originally posted by The Toninator
Heidi have you ever done the 12-hour format?
Should I have a different strategy then a 24-hour race format?
And of course the prior question is assuming I understand the mindset of the solo racer. I have previously done 24-hour races on 5 and 4 person teams and 12-hour races on 4 person teams. For those races I usually go out at close to my regular race pace. I know I don’t have the endurance to sustain that for the whole 12 hours, my race pace on this course was about a 53 minute lap, so I’m planning on adding at least 20 minutes to that to try to tough it out the whole time.
Yes, I've done both 12 hour and then 100 mile races (10 hours)

Here's a good article, though it goes into training too.

http://www.ultracycling.com/training/preparing_for_12_24s_part1.html

http://www.ultracycling.com/training/preparing_for_12_24s_part2.html

You have the right idea, don't try to race at your normal pace or you will blow up. Just take it slow and steady.

Squeak

Get your pork here.
Sep 26, 2001
COlo style
Have your buddy whip up a big vat of GROG (Protien Powder, raw eggs, Toenail shavings, Gatorade, strawberries and a touch of motor oil).

He or she can then put it in your old beer bong from college. When you need some energy, swing in, jam that tube in your mouth, open the valve, presto!

Hope that helps.

Refueling for endurance events is different racer to racer. I like carb loading 48hrs before the event. For race day I cut Power Bars into four pieces. About every 30min. I'll eat one with a have bottle of water. It has kept in the top 10 for years, but probably won't work for everyone. This much I can tell you, if you waited until you thought you were feeling the effects of the bonk.... You wait to long!!!!!! It's like fluid intake, if you wait until you feel thirsty before you drink, you have let yourself dehydrated beyond the preventive maintenance point.