Quantcast

12 hours of Lodi

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
So this Sunday I did the 12 hours of Lodi. A particularly evil 12 hour event as it starts at midnight to make sure you are tired before you even get to start. A group of friends who live close to the event came early in the morning to set up camp so when I got there all I really had to do was get my bikes together and relax. At 7:00pm we all drove to a local mom and pop Italian place to load up on food. I had some chicken parm and a monster plate of spaghetti. After dinner headed back to the event. This is when it sets in how the midnight start hurts. Just as I was feeling like I wanted to go to bed it was time to get ready for the start.

The course was about 8.5 miles of tight rooty singletrack with some short steep hills thrown in. Some sections were so tight that you almost had to come to a complete stop to make the corner. This is a place where handling is almost as important as being able output power.

The start of the race was the regular Lemans start but they routed us through a little bit of singletrack. I was a little nervous about the single track run at night but a hundred or so HID helmet lights lit everything nicely. My plan was to take the first half of the race real easy and save my energy for daylight. But once things started off I had a problem taking it easy. I hate being stuck behind other people during night races. You are forced to follow their lines and make the same mistakes they make. I found myself passing more and more people to find that empty piece of trail. Fortunately I didn't push it too hard but was able to do my first two laps in less than two hours.

Things were uneventful for the first 5 hours, although I was feeling very tired from lack of sleep, not from the riding. As usual for me I was having problems eating but I found I could force down bananas and Fig Newtons. On my sixth lap the sun was staring to come up and it made me feel much better. I started pushing a little bit harder and that caused some problems. Twice in the same lap I managed to jam my chain between my wheel and cassette, it required removal of the wheel and chain to fix both times this added at least a half hour to the lap. With the sun up I stopped at camp to drop off the lights and eat. Eating was a problem, I managed to puke up a bagel I was trying to eat, it was going to be nothing but hammer gel and fluids for the rest of the race.

I started pushing myself a little harder now that the sun had come up, I managed to put in a handful of laps and was feeling great until my 10th lap. Not eating anything solid turned my stomach into knots not to mention my body was just plain beat up. Towards the end of #10 I managed to find a bit of energy and rode with Peter6061 for a while. That was a blast to get to ride with someone for a bit. The last two laps were pure hell, I was tired wanted to puke everywhere and everything hurt. I wanted to quit but I really wanted to finish one of these events with out really stopping so I just forced myself along. In the end I managed 12 laps in 12:44 (estimated) and third place. First and second did 13 laps, those guys are freaking animals the winning Expert 3 man team only did 13 laps and one duo team got in 14.

I didn't take any pictures but will link up some from the event photographer once posted, same thing with the official results.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
narlus said:
note - fire yr mechanic.
I was waiting for someone to say that. It is not a derailleur adjustment issue, it is more of an operator problem than anything else. The problem only occurs when I try to downshift multiple gears while standing up and cranking away. This only happens on my bikes with replaceable hangers so I think hanger flex is part of the problem.

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
nice job.....so is the stomach issues from pushing yourself so hard? being nervous/anxiety? or what?

I heard there was a low tree limb that helped adjust a couple peoples helmet lights

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
douglas said:
nice job.....so is the stomach issues from pushing yourself so hard? being nervous/anxiety? or what?

I heard there was a low tree limb that helped adjust a couple peoples helmet lights

I always thought my stomach problems came from pushing myself, the body diverts blood away from the digestive tract to the muscles. In the past I've always felt full and bloated. This time my stomach was empty, I just kept gagging and dry heaving when I tried to swallow anything solid.

I never had a problem with the low limb at night, my light lit it up and it was easy to see. My first day lap it damn near knocked me off my bike.

peter6061

Turbo Monkey
Nov 19, 2001
Kenmore, WA
Great write up. I've been reading everyone's reviews today and overall, it seems everyone had a good time. We raced DUO and turned in 12 laps for some ~teen ranking. We rode doubles through the night and after each completing four laps, switched over to singles for the remaining time. Lap 10 was mine and I ran into Westy at the start-finish during our handoff. My teammate came in just behind him, so I took off in 'hope' of catching and riding with him. Well, I passed him stopped on the trail right at the start looking pretty tired. I asked if he was okay, and got a,"yes." I guess me being on my 5th lap and him being on his 10th afforded me a little more energy, so I didn't see him until the last two miles of the lap when he came up behind yelling at me to get moving. As I had been doing with most of the guys out there that came up on my wheel, I asked if he wanted to pass, but he replied, "no." He pushed my weakened body for those last two miles to the finsh where he continued on for another lap and I (greatful for being done went off the relax) went back to my tent.

Unfortuneatly, my teammate decided that he could squeeze another lap in before noon, allowing me to head out for one more. I'd been cramping since my fourth lap and really didn't want to, but he made it back by quarter til, and I went out for a sixth.

Looking at the final results, it's amazing to see how many of the SOLO riders only completed ~6 laps. Sure, I was dead tired from doing my 6, but I also got ~6 hours off. I wonder how many laps I could have done in that time. I think if I have the time and fitness next year, not that I really feel that fit after nursing a sprained wrist for 6 weeks this spring, I'll race it SOLO.

Great race, but man that section from about mile marker 3 to 1.5 was tight and twisty(slow). Oh, and didn't catch my head on that fallen branch, but I think I saw it every lap. Only thing that gave me any trouble was a tree I must have 'shouldered' three times, a section of VERY narrow trail that almost got me each lap, and that last drop about .25 miles from the finish with the fun 'drop'. I launched it each lap, but the last one took out my fork on the initial pull up. Oh well, so I've got to overhaul a lefty, at least it waited until the very end.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
peter6061 said:
Looking at the final results, it's amazing to see how many of the SOLO riders only completed ~6 laps. Sure, I was dead tired from doing my 6, but I also got ~6 hours off. I wonder how many laps I could have done in that time. I think if I have the time and fitness next year, not that I really feel that fit after nursing a sprained wrist for 6 weeks this spring, I'll race it SOLO.

There is an 18 hour race coming up in August outside Richmond, may want to consider that Solo. I think the mental side of things is the hardest part of a solo race. I am happiest not with my actual race performance this time but the fact that I never quit and put in the best performance I was capable of. I have pretty much given up during every other long solo race I've done. I've never even considered it when racing on a team and I've suffered just as bad during some team races. I think it is just too easy to give up if you have no one to disapoint.

peter6061

Turbo Monkey
Nov 19, 2001
Kenmore, WA
I'm thinking of Big Bear, but I've never ridden the course. We'll see if I can get a little more fitness in before then. 18 hours sounds doable as well. I agree. It's easier to disappoint myself than a teammate.

I guess I just don't see the challenge in doing these races as a team anymore since I am usually not going for the win. I 'know' I'll finish them. Solo on the other hand is something I have not done, so it's still a challenge for me. Planning on doing the SM100 and Wilderness 101 as well this fall. You up for either of those?

ridetoofast

scarred, broken and drunk
Mar 31, 2002
crashing at a trail near you...
not to 'poach' but i'll jump on westy's coattails and give my $0.02

Good intentions, mechanicals, and things that go boom…(almost), An Exercise in Murphy’s Law known as the 12 Hours of Lodi Farm.

To start things off on a sketchy note, if one were to buy into superstitions that is, we stopped off at a Wendys to grab some grub for the road. Our total for the meal was $16.66…ohhhhhh THAT number. I made a joke to Chuck and Tim about the total, and they were like dude that really isn’t too cool. Considering what was to follow, it seems as though it was a portent of things to come.

In keeping with our last race, we got there just in time. The original intent was to arrive at least by 6pm to allow time to set up camp, score a preride, and get settled in. To adhere to the saying, “the road to hell is paved with good intentions” we laid some serious asphalt because we weren’t even on the road until damn near 630 causing us to arrive at the site wayyyyy later than was ideal.

As a word of caution here are some things you really don’t want to do the moments just before a race:

a) try to drive a truck/trailer combo through a crowded camp site looking for the spot everyone else DIDN’T want

b) set up a multi room tent for the first time in the dark

c) figure out how your light attaches to your helmet

d) realize that your batteries are in fact NOT charged and you’ve forgotten your emergency back up lights (this is where the almost boom part comes in later)

A mental image of a chicken running around with its head cut off should come to mind at this point. We managed to get set up (for the most part) and make it to the riders meeting just in time to hear the promoter saying something about, “we’ve made the LeMans start even longer this year”…a collective “Gee Thanks” could be heard murmuring through the crowd. As luck would have it our intended lead off man, Tim, REALLY doesn’t like to run (more precisely his knees don’t like it when he runs), but hey, what are ya gonna do?

Because my batteries weren’t charged up, I got the honor of being the anchor man with Tim and Chuck taking the first two laps, to allow time for mine to charge up. This is where the almost boom part comes in. Again with the good intentions, we WERE going to find a spot for the generator, separate from the camp site (it’s an 8 Kw, 14 HP motor…..read LOUD), but time was short, so it never got unloaded. Tim is on trail, Chuck is making his preparations, and I’m trying to set up a transition area and basically just get settled in. I walk past the trailer noticing the FIVE GALLON gas tank is barely two feet away from the HOT exhaust of the generator. In my mind, a HOLY F’ING bat**** screams out, so I grab the gas tank and take it as far away from the generator as I can. By now, the plastic container had actually gotten hot to the touch, with the expanding vapors inside causing the container to actually SWELL UP. Needless to say, I was a bit shook up with the mental image of what could have happened. I crawled into the tent and tried to get some rest, which was of course, a futile attempt with said generator only feet from the tent.

Tim comes rolling into the camp area having just relieved Chuck and tells me what I’m in for…lots of climbing right from the start. I figure that I should start getting ready, and one of the first things I do is make sure my batteries are charged up and ready to go. The trend at this point is less than stellar, so in honor of that, I realize that after getting everything hooked up and loaded into my camelback, my light still isn’t working. Queue the chicken image again as Tim and I figure out how were going to daisy chain two lights for three people. I finally get loaded up and ready to go, so I take off from the camp to Start/Finish Line. Tick, tock, tick, tock,…I realize I’ve gotten there way too early AND its freezing out, but I don’t want to leave now to go back to the camp for a blanket or something because I might miss Chuck. Just when I thought I was going to have to get something he comes rolling in and we make the exchange.

Lap one of my first 12 hour race FINALLY begins and just as Tim said there is LOTS of climbing right from the start. I feel about as natural climbing as a Polar Bear would feel in the Sahara, so after much drudgery, I make it through the first section of the trail only to hear that distinctive DING. I stop to inspect my bike and find that a spoke has broken on my rear wheel. I don’t have a spare spoke with me, not that I’d take that much time to try and fix it on the trail side, so I wrap it around an adjacent one, and continue on my merry way. I didn’t have the opportunity to make a night ride with my HID light prior to the race, so this is my first experience with one of them, and all I can say I WOW, these things really light up the night. Were it not for that, I believe the lack of a daytime preride would’ve been far more detrimental, but due to the tremendous coverage they afford, I was able to maintain a pretty decent pace through my first lap. Arriving back at the camp, I decide it would probably be best to change now and make all my preps (food, hydration, etc) so that after I TRY to sleep through din of the generator, I’ll minimize my transition time to relieve the next rider.

Tick, Tock, Tick, Tock…I arrive AGAIN, way too early at the Start/Finish Line, wasting precious energy waiting to relieve. Chuck comes rolling into the turnover area looking pretty flustered. He had enough time to tell me that he was on a killer pace, only to suffer a nasty crash on one off the downhill sections, and that he had injured his thumb, thus the delay in his arrival. Once more, I struggle through the climbing section, and my drive train was really giving me hell with multiple chain slips. I arrive at an open section of the trail realizing that day light is almost upon us. My relief was incredibly short lived, as I literally got about a half dozen pedal strokes into the open field, and my knee SLAMS into the stem due to my breaking chain. Fantastic, its zero dark thirty in the morning, I’m tired, and I get to try to do something I’ve done perhaps 4 times collectively, in my dozen or so years of riding, fix a broken chain only 2 miles into an 8 mile course. I loose about 25-30 minutes of lap time fixing my chain, but much to my amazement and relief, my attempt was successful. With daylight upon us, and the sense of urgency that I’ve just wasted all that time, I begin to ride the rest of the trail, going like a bat out of hell, taking stupid risks, and actually passing back several of the riders that had passed me as I made my repair.

Fast forward a little less than 2 hours, with precious little sleep, and you guessed it, Tick, Tock, Tick, Tock, (mental DAMNIT) Why can’t I figure out the right time to relieve Chuck so I can maximize my rest time. On my off time, I had done some very minimalist drive train maintenance to avert the disaster of the previous lap. The trail is fully lit up by now, and despite my fatigue, I’m feeling really good. I’m cruising along, barely 3 miles into the trail rolling at a really good pace, and BAM!! you guessed it, ANOTHER mechanical, this time a rear flat. I do a quick mental inventory of my camel back and I realize I’ve forgotten to pack a spare tube. I make a meager attempt to try to run the remainder of the lap, and my legs quickly tell me, dude what ARE you thinking, relegating me to a brisk walk. To the credit and camaraderie of all that is mtn biking, rider after rider after rider all slow long enough to ask me if I’m alright. I reply to each, “I flatted dude”, they shake their head in commiseration, offer empathy, and roll on. Finally, lady luck makes a brief appearance, and someone has a spare, and its their ONLY spare. That, in a nutshell, is what epitomizes why mtn biking is the best thing since sliced bread. There are few, if any, other competitive endeavors, where a COMPETITOR, would offer support, so that you can get back in the game. I change out my tube as quickly as I can, and start to put the wheel back on the tire. At this point I notice that the sidewall has failed, allowing the tube to pop out through the tire, rendering it completely useless.

The frustration level at this point is Mt. Everest in proportions. All that hard work on the previous lap to make up for my broken chain. The effort that Tim and Chuck had made as well, and the string of obscenities I begin to spew would’ve made a sailor blush. Anger. Complete and utter frustration. Like a puppy in submission with its tail tucked between its legs, I dejectedly shortcut as much of the trail as I can to make it back to the Start/Finish Line to turn over with Tim, and inform the score keepers not to count that lap. I roll back to the camp to change my tire AGAIN, with the hopes that Chuck, and Tim can both turn sub 1 hour times, allowing one last chance at a clean, mechanical free, lap.

Unfortunately, the task was too much to ask of Chuck, as he too experienced drive train problems, and missed the cut off by a mere 5 minutes. So it went, just a couple of bits of bad luck, and we went from being in the running for a competitive finish for our category, to mid pack. Despite the issues, a good time was had by all, the weather was perfect, and the trail was even better. Some good lessons were learned and 3 weeks from now, we’ll be at the burn24hour Memorial Day weekend.

The fun didnt stop there. We were loading up the trailer, some weight shifted, the trailer rolled forward, striking my 4 Runner in 2 places on the passengers side :(

Westy I'm sure i 'saw' you there and had NO clue who you were.
We raced 3 man sport. Our team name was Lunatics on the Grass.

That kicks ass that you got that many laps in. Congrats :thumb:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Nice writeup but sorry about the luck. Actually I'd look at it as good luck seeing as you didn't die in a trailside fireball. I'm considering doing the Burn, we will have to figure a way out to recognize each other.

peter6061

Turbo Monkey
Nov 19, 2001
Kenmore, WA
so Adam, let me guess,.... that was YOU with that ass-loud generator in the second lot of camping along the straight before the entrance into the woods that kept me from getting one-wink of sleep that night?

Thanks man.

ridetoofast

scarred, broken and drunk
Mar 31, 2002
crashing at a trail near you...
well, technically, it was my teammate, but yes that was us.

sorry dude it was a necessary evil.

were going to be at the burn a day early so we can get a good spot and put it way away from the camp.

and yes westy i guess i consider it good luck. i just dont even
want to think what 5 gallons would've done...

peter6061

Turbo Monkey
Nov 19, 2001
Kenmore, WA
douglas said:
why in the world would you want to sleep during a 12?
Well, considering the race didn't START until midnight, most people (including myself) didn't have a chance to sleep the day before. I had hoped to catch an hour nap or so before MY start, but a generator kept that from happening. Basically, I had one long day for a weekend with a 12 hour race in the middle.

noname

Monkey
Feb 19, 2006
outer limits
Westy said:
Nice writeup but sorry about the luck. Actually I'd look at it as good luck seeing as you didn't die in a trailside fireball. I'm considering doing the Burn, we will have to figure a way out to recognize each other.
Westy, are you going to be running on a team or going solo for the 24hr of Burn? You should definitely catch up with us down there, or we can all caravan together.
Peter, sorry about the genny guy, the plan was to conceal it in the woods like I normally due, when we realized that we couldn't do that we decided not to run it at all until the Garden Gnome of Infelicity popped Adams light. We thought it was the battery (the light was brand new fargin NR) so we decided to try to charge it. Then someonefrom another camp wanted to run his coffeepot and I said "What the hell, can't make any more noise than we already have".
Man, I really wanted to run that race solo too but I didn't think I'd have my XC bike back in time and I'm too much of a nacy boy to do a 12hr solo on a single speed. Oh well. there's always the 18 hours this summer and the Poor farm fall cup. :)