Quantcast

12 hours of mud sweat and gears in Louisiana

Woggle Bear

Chimp
May 8, 2002
Northcentral Louisiana
Event was cancled by "new" council leader for the Boy Scouts.
What a ass, they got a free trail built for themselves and then pulled the plug when it was time to pay the fees etc.! What a great organization...hey maybe they are preparing our kids for the corprate world? :confused:

Oh well we are still trying to work it out. We may have it at Lincoln Parish Park(site of the AMBC Fall Finals), later in the year or just plan to have it there next year.:)

WB

Hey Woggle Bear, Where is this "new Trail". I am from New Orleans but recently moved to San Diego. I was always a fan of Lincoln Park and have done some xc races there. The staff at that place is way cool. If you call ahead they'll tell you the gate combo and i used to roadtrip there and do night rides and stuff. I still go back to NO so i am curious about the boyscout trail for future reference.

Woggle Bear

Chimp
May 8, 2002
Northcentral Louisiana
Hey,

The trail is at Camp TL James, in Downsville La. About 20 miles east of LPP. But as you can see above the BSA just cancled the race and closed the trail(as soon as I finished it).:mad:
So it will only be used by them twice a year. It was a nice trail, would have been fun to race on...

WB

So lets see. The BSA had you cut a trail and now, b\c they reniged they thing is shut down? WTF? PLease describe the trail. Is it a pure xc trail or any jumps and stuff? Would it be a bad deal if responsible people poached a ride? Do you know why the BSA backed out? Is it on private BSA land or something? I'm visiting family at end of summer and would love to visit LPP, that trail and some others along the way. What do you think?

Woggle Bear

Chimp
May 8, 2002
Northcentral Louisiana
It is on BSA land, that is closed to the public. They have started a MTB merit badge program and wanted a trail to ride there for the program. They approached me wanting to put on a race, I helped look around for intrested parties to have the race. Power Aid/ Coake wanted to sponser a 12 hr event in the area. So... I agreed to cut the trail in and they both hooked up to do the rest. We were discussing the trail being open to the public for day use also.
Everything was going great, and then the current director got a promotion and the new guy killed the race. He said that the liability was too great. (but a 16 year old taking 5, 11 year olds for their first MTB ride on a pretty techinal trail is OK???!!!) What ever, so...the trail is closed to public use and is located on posted land.

As for the trail it was pretty sweet. They had about 1100 acers to work with. There is more elevation out there than LPP, so there were some good climbs. Lots of single track and fire roads, some jumps, some switch backs, short but steep down hill sections with lots of twists and turns. I tied in their existing nature trails and roads, added in some of my own stuff and created @ 15 miles of ridable trail with another 5 still flagged and not cut in yet. It was like LPP mixed with The Lost Woman Trail in Minden. It would have been worth the extra trip out of the way.

Oh well,
WB

That's pretty lame! Your work sounds pretty good. Were you volunteering or did they pay you. I think you deservr a hall pass to ride whenever just for being an all aroung good guy. Hey, i was a scout back in the day. I think i might need to work on my MTB merit badge if you get my drift.
:sneaky: :sneaky: :sneaky: :sneaky: :sneaky: :sneaky: :sneaky: :sneaky: :sneaky: :sneaky: :sneaky: :sneaky:

Woggle Bear

Chimp
May 8, 2002
Northcentral Louisiana
Hahaha:D

Man if I could have been paid!! Even at min wage I still would have racked up! I spent a lot of time on that trail.:(
I was volunteered by The park ranger at LPP, haha. I help out with lot of maintainance to the trail there so he told them that he and I would do the work for them. Then he had to back out because of other obligations, so...

I think they would not care if I ride it, but frown on guests. I don't really know what their policy is going to be. My contact with them is suppose to come by Fri and I'll find out.

WB;)