Quantcast

12-hr races.--bike selection ?

B

bigkonarider

What are riders using for 12-hr & 24 hr events bikewise ?
I would imagine a Full-susp. rig ..?
A hardtail has got to be rough for sure..But i know Singlespeeders probably do it! I have done SS -so i know it's pretty rough on the bod ..

Thinking about building a Santa Cruz BULLET w/ pretty light parts for 12-hr races
.....It's like an 8pound frameset.... Or just buy a 5.5 pound XC FS frameset...
Is 2.5 pounds all that much of a difference ?
:eek:

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
If it's all you've got, fine, but given the choice...I would not ride a bullit for 12 or 24 hours. Over that time, the extra pounds will hurt.

cali4niabiker

Monkey
Jun 29, 2004
ATLANTA, GA
bigkonarider said:
What are riders using for 12-hr & 24 hr events bikewise ?
I would imagine a Full-susp. rig ..?
A hardtail has got to be rough for sure..But i know Singlespeeders probably do it! I have done SS -so i know it's pretty rough on the bod ..

Thinking about building a Santa Cruz BULLET w/ pretty light parts for 12-hr races
.....It's like an 8pound frameset.... Or just buy a 5.5 pound XC FS frameset...
Is 2.5 pounds all that much of a difference ?
:eek:
I have a souped up '03 Giant NRS that I use for 12 hour races. You could pick up a new NRS frame for ~$400 on ebay, which is considerably cheaper than a new SC Bullet and CLIMBS a million times better than a SC Bullet. It has a custom pivot (ADG components, boosts travel to 4.5") along with an uber adjustable FOX 125 RLC and Stratos Helix Pro rear shock and it weighs in at 29 lbs. I could easily drop the weight by 3 +/-1) lbs with a SID WC and an air shock, but the ride isn't as smooth IMO. You will want a bike that is very comfortable for the long haul. Hardtails are rough and will tire you out faster, but you could get away with it if the trails are smooth and hardpacked. Hardtails are a killer at 12 hr race @ Big Bear Lake where the trails are very rocky and has alot of loose dirt.

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
i've race a steel hardtail in 12, 24 and marathon style races and liked it but it did beat the heck out of me. some people can stand it some can. i've switched to a FS and can feel the weight difference but i'm pretty stuck on fs now.
so use a light FS as the primary then the hardtail as the backup

Ridemonkey

This is not an active account
Sep 18, 2002
Toronto, Canada
Bullit would be a very bad choice. Keep in mind you are pedaling a long time too. A good XC oriented FS bike would do well. Santa Cruz Blur or Specialized Enduros would be good choices.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
FS rigs dominated at the 24 hours of adrenaline at Dalton, but there were quite a few steel hardtails (surprisingly quite a few single speeds too) and a fair share of 29" wheeled hardtails as well.

IMO - lighter is better for a 12 or 24 hour race. One of our team members raced a Bullit however! But if given the choice I think he would have chosen something lighter.

B

bigkonarider

thanks,
I'm doing a 4x bike with the Bullet &..... using a Hardtail Singlespeed for XC !!
They are rippin fast...Probably will get a susp. seatpost though...