Quantcast

12 Mile Super D in Ashland??

DH Diva

Wonderwoman
Jun 12, 2002
Any one know if this race is actually happening? It's on the OBRA web page for June, but can't get ahold of any info. Any southern oregon people know whats going on?

bent^biker

Turbo Monkey
Feb 22, 2006
pdx
wow.....might have to do capital forest on the 9th then ashland on the 10th. That would be alot of super D action in one weekend.

jon-boy

Monkey
May 26, 2004
Vancouver BC
WOW!

That's quite the descent.... what's the quality of the single track? Rough rocky? Smooth and flowing? Basically is it worth driving down from BC to do? Any photo's available?

If it's worth it I would work a road trip around this race as there are tentative plans to get down to Oregon for a while this summer already. This would firm those plans.

Oct 2, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Most of the singletrack is fairly smooth and flowy. There are some sections with brake bumps, rocks or roots. It gets tight and twisty through the trees in several sections. There is a small rock garden about halfway down, but it is pretty easy. A 5 to 6 inch bike would work best. Mark Weir won it last year on a Nomad with a time around 35minutes. It is kind of brutal because it isn't real steep anywhere so you need to be on the gas pedaling almost the whole time.

jon-boy

Monkey
May 26, 2004
Vancouver BC
I'd probably race my hardtail. It has a 160mm travel fork up front. I see that there's a specific hardtail catagory too. :)

I ride this bike on some of the tamer trails on the north shore here in Vancouver, so I know it'll cope.

jake133

Monkey
Jan 21, 2005
SLC, Utah
Yeah a hartail would be fine. I raced my bullit last year but this year it's hardtail for sure. I think it will be much faster.

DH Diva

Wonderwoman
Jun 12, 2002
Hmm. Which bike to ride?? So for those of you who have ridden the course, would you go with a Foes 2:1 FXR (6 inch travel) or a Foes XCT-4 (more XCish, but still 4 inches of travel)???? Any opinions on which would be a better choice?

L

luelling

Hmm. Which bike to ride?? So for those of you who have ridden the course, would you go with a Foes 2:1 FXR (6 inch travel) or a Foes XCT-4 (more XCish, but still 4 inches of travel)???? Any opinions on which would be a better choice?
I didn't do the race, but being a SO former resident I would say the 2:1 FXR. The course has pedaling, but it also has some high speed rough sections.....you have to balance that. I'm hoping to make it this year (last year conflicted with a large XC race).

Trust me, I've spent prolly more time on that trail than anyone on this forum. Medium travel bike that you can jump and carve the corners with....go and kick ass DH Diva!!! Tom Cleveland should be there as well....he said last years event was a lot of fun. He actually rode his DHI.

jake133

Monkey
Jan 21, 2005
SLC, Utah
I think it kinda of depends on your riding style, but i would go with the FRX. There is only one real climb and the rest is pretty much downhill with a little bit of flat. All the WTB guys were on their Nomads and i think a more long travel trail bike like yours would be a great fit for the course.

muddy beast

Turbo Monkey
Nov 26, 2005
crap this place is super far away. It would take me almost a day to get there, but I really want to do it since its the first race that DOESNT conflict with my crew races (since crew will be over unless I go to nationals, which I'm not sure if I want to do...so I can race DH).

ugh, dessisions.

happhazard

Chimp
Aug 30, 2005
spoke with tita the other day and she's got the permits from the forest service and the race is happening as schedualed. as far as bike setup, i'm leaning towards xc as theres tons of pedaling and most of the single track is smooth decomposed granite soil. last year i ran a regular seat post at halfway between full height and dh and spent alot of energy standing and pedaling. this year i've got a gravity dropper =money. chainguide and a 36t is probably what i'll run for gears.

SnowboardinWA

Monkey
Feb 23, 2007
Tacoma, WA
crap this place is super far away. It would take me almost a day to get there, but I really want to do it since its the first race that DOESNT conflict with my crew races (since crew will be over unless I go to nationals, which I'm not sure if I want to do...so I can race DH).

ugh, dessisions.
Muddy Whimp......Whens your last race. You still have my schedule of the races I want to do right? We need to hang out sometime so your Rents won't worry If I give you a ride to some events.

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
I'd probably go with the 4" bike Carrie. There is nothing about that course that needs a DH bike.

flailer

Chimp
Aug 5, 2006
S. Oregon
This is nearly in my backyard - i LOVE this ride.

i do it on my ds xc bike with less than 4 in the back.
Is hardtail worthy, imho.

.:Jeenyus:.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 23, 2004
slc
I'll be taking pictures somewhere near the bottom.

haven't done any type of physical activity in way too long now, so even if my wrist did let me ride (which i do think is a possibility this weekend) im in no shape to race.

.:Jeenyus:.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 23, 2004
slc
so wats the course like? mor pedaling than not?
there is a huge uphill section somewhat near the top but from there on out the trail is pretty much either flat or downhill with one more little climb closer to the bottom. so yeah, youre going to be pedaling a bunch.

DH Diva

Wonderwoman
Jun 12, 2002
No ashland for me this year. I'm getting an MRI on my shoulder on Friday, and won't have results till the following week. An hour long endurance DH probably isn't the best thing for it, without knowing whats wrong with it yet. Bummed in a big way. Hope they do it next year.

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
No ashland for me this year. I'm getting an MRI on my shoulder on Friday, and won't have results till the following week. An hour long endurance DH probably isn't the best thing for it, without knowing whats wrong with it yet. Bummed in a big way. Hope they do it next year.
DAMMITTTTTTTTTT! That totally sucks that you got injured, let alone right before a cool race. :disgust: Maybe I'll see you later this year at Willamette Pass.

DH Diva

Wonderwoman
Jun 12, 2002
DAMMITTTTTTTTTT! That totally sucks that you got injured, let alone right before a cool race. :disgust: Maybe I'll see you later this year at Willamette Pass.
Leave it to me to have awesome timing. I am cleared to ride as long as it doesn't hurt, but racing seems to be testing fate a little too much. I got into the Downieville Classic so I want to be a-okay for that race!

I'm sure we'll run into each other some time this season. There is talk from some locals in my area of trying to get together a big group ride on MRT. If we get it together I'll let you know!

DH Diva

Wonderwoman
Jun 12, 2002
You got into Downieville, Damn. I heard it was closed in like 2 hours. An EX Boss of mine has ridin it, I plan to do it next year.
Yeah, some classes filled within 30 minutes. You had to be at your computer ready to go when registration opened. I'm so excited!! I'm bummed that I can't do the 12 mile, but being able to do Downieville will totally make up for it!