Quantcast

12 month long drop in world temperatures wipes out a 100 years of warming!

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I can't believe I'm 'defending' n8...

Except that not every state can make all their food or gas. Small nuke plants can be done. At least it's one way to force people to think about their consumption. Better to start somewhere than not at all.

A small nuke or any type of power plant is not as cost affective as a large one. To force a small state to build their own plants will increase the cost of energy for everyone. Sounds like a great plan. why not just ban powerlines and make everyone run their own generator.

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
i think every state in the US should be responsible for producing a minimum of 90% of the electrical power consumed in that state.

If a state's population wants lots of power then they will have to have power plants in their backyards.
the free market disapproves

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
Except that not every state can make all their food or gas.
quite sound.
one of the reasons why CA is so facked in their water shortage is due to subsidized farmers are trying to grow cotton & other crops which grow far better in a region i like to call 'the corn belt'.

just because you can, doesn't mean you should

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
A small nuke or any type of power plant is not as cost affective as a large one. To force a small state to build their own plants will increase the cost of energy for everyone. Sounds like a great plan. why not just ban powerlines and make everyone run their own generator.

Just put one in your garage...

http://www.nextenergynews.com/news1/next-energy-news-toshiba-micro-nuclear-12.17b.html

Toshiba Builds 100x Smaller Micro Nuclear Reactor
Toshiba has developed a new class of micro size Nuclear Reactors that is designed to power individual apartment buildings or city blocks. The new reactor, which is only 20 feet by 6 feet, could change everything for small remote communities, small businesses or even a group of neighbors who are fed up with the power companies and want more control over their energy needs.

The 200 kilowatt Toshiba designed reactor is engineered to be fail-safe and totally automatic and will not overheat. Unlike traditional nuclear reactors the new micro reactor uses no control rods to initiate the reaction. The new revolutionary technology uses reservoirs of liquid lithium-6, an isotope that is effective at absorbing neutrons. The Lithium-6 reservoirs are connected to a vertical tube that fits into the reactor core. The whole whole process is self sustaining and can last for up to 40 years, producing electricity for only 5 cents per kilowatt hour, about half the cost of grid energy.

Toshiba expects to install the first reactor in Japan in 2008 and to begin marketing the new system in Europe and America in 2009.

New power plants...YES! More money for me!

Entergy and NuStart Energy Development today announced the submittal of a combined construction and operating license application to the Nuclear Regulatory Commission for a potential new nuclear unit in Port Gibson, Miss. The application seeks regulatory approvals to potentially build a new unit adjacent to Entergy's existing Grand Gulf Nuclear Station, a reactor that ranks third among the nation's 104 nuclear plants for total electricity output over its lifetime of commercial operations. With energy demands rising across the nation, many energy companies are pursuing clean, safe nuclear options through the NuStart consortium and other avenues. The U.S. Department of Energy states 250 to 500 new baseload power plants -- those designed to help meet basic electrical needs -- will be needed across the country by 2030. Although Entergy has made no decision to build a nuclear reactor at this time, seeking NRC approval and a license today will preserve the nuclear option for the future.

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Uh oh! looks like this was all a hoax..

trends in the northern hemisphere show a distinct warming trend this spring and forecast to extend thru the summer then lessening some later this fall.

DaveW

Space Monkey
Jul 2, 2001
The bunker at parliament
It may not make economical sense though. A state like NY has a lot of power plants because of the Great Lakes and the hudson river. A large source of cooling water and major waterways to deliver fuel. Now neighboring Vermont doesn't have anything like that. Building a powerplant there doesn't make economic sense. Of course if Vermont gets all of it's power from NY state, NY state gets all of the jobs from the plant and the taxes from the revenue.
Not entirely true, here in NZ they are seriously looking at a more decentralized network with more micro generators located closer to high demand areas.
It's looking to be the better option than a small number of large generators.
with the added bonus of creating a more stable/more damage tolerant national grid and remember that the further you send electrickery down the lines the more power gets wasted.
Those big high tension lines lose a sh!tload of power in transmission and the longer they are the more you lose! :poster_oops:

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Sydney's Coolest Summer in 50 Years Leaves Empty Cafes, Gloom

March 5 (Bloomberg) -- Sydney residents and tourists are cursing La Nina as the harbor city says goodbye to the summer that wasn't.

No day topped 31 degrees celsius (88 degrees fahrenheit) for the first time since 1956. Average daily sunshine totaled 6.7 hours, an hour less than normal and the lowest since 1991-92. The average maximum temperature was 25.2, the coolest since 1996-97.
http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601109&sid=ae6GlcvBtldY&refer=home

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
N 8, why exactly are you so quick to jump on every piece of literature that says "climate change" is a hoax, or whatever. Just because Al Gore jumps behind something doesnt automatically make it false. It was an idea long before he piled on, and I just dont understand the haste with which you discount all the evidence.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
N 8, why exactly are you so quick to jump on every piece of literature that says "climate change" is a hoax, or whatever. Just because Al Gore jumps behind something doesnt automatically make it false. It was an idea long before he piled on, and I just dont understand the haste with which you discount all the evidence.
Party line.

Till death.

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
man made global warming is a hoax...

follow the money

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN

follow the money
It's actually alot easier to "follow the money" to the big time polluter/emissions companies like coal and oil who, coincidentally tend to support anti-global warming conservatives who fight tooth and nail to deny its existence. I have a hard time believing that all these scientists around the world would ignore their ethics so blatantly, or could be bought for the sake of slowing progress. It just doesnt add up.

Edit: And N 8 your posts tend to both deny "global warming" all together, and then at other times deny only the man-made side of things. You should sort that out.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Hop in my limo, we'll go get some panda steaks.
Co-worker's wife is a teacher...asks the kids to do reports on endangered species.

One kid does pandas...leaves out the important info. Teacher asks, "But WHY are pandas endangered, Joseph?"

The kid says, "Because of Panda Express!!"

True story.

black noise

Turbo Monkey
Dec 31, 2004
Santa Cruz

follow the money
If I were a scientist and decided I wanted to get rich I would rather get paid off by oil companies. That's where the easy money is. I'd side with the companies making billions in profits, not

To realize why the Bush administration is still denying the existence of global warming I think you should "follow the money".

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan

Plummit

Monkey
Mar 12, 2002
And Northern Europe's had the warmest winter on record.

STOCKHOLM, Sweden—Icebreakers sit idle in ports. Insects crawl out of forest hideouts. Daffodils sprout up from green lawns.

Winter ended before it started in Europe's north, where record-high temperatures have people wondering whether it's a fluke or an ominous sign of a warming world.

"It's the warmest winter ever" recorded, said John Ekwall of the Swedish Meteorological and Hydrological Institute.

In December, January and February, the average temperature in Stockholm was 36 degrees—the highest on record since record-keeping began in 1756.

Record winter highs were set at 12 other locations across the country, according to the national weather service, SMHI.

Across the Baltic Sea, Latvia and most of Finland reported the warmest winter since 1925.

Latvia saw an average temperature of about 33 degrees, nine degrees above normal, according to the national meteorological agency.

Southern Finland had only 20 days of snow, compared to 70 days normally, while neighboring Estonia had to cancel a popular cross-country ski marathon in the southern city of Tartu in early February.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Why does a thread like this get past a few posts? How is it 5 pages?

n8, you're WRONG. Get on with your life. I don't think there is a single mind you've changed here (on RM...ever) and no one is filled with doubt about global warming from your stupid posts.

It's not working n8. Try something else.

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus

n8, you're WRONG. Get on with your life. I don't think there is a single mind you've changed here (on RM...ever) and no one is filled with doubt about global warming from your stupid posts.

haha! sucka!

:monkeydance:

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
a simple experiment: start a thread about the flatness of the earth.

do i really need to explain why that thread wouldn't get any sarious responses, but this one does?

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver

He's like Carrottop... a few gimicks that work on people who don't know better.

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
i'm w/ h8r: give it up, n8.

these are the same type who think federal funding for embryonic stem cell research == stem cell research

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan

The problem here is that we've all grown old together and even though we know each other back to front it's still fun to trot out the same old crap. I mean it used to be feisty in here but now it's just a rep reach-around circle. We all sit here, like pisspots waiting for the pub to open, hoping a doe eyed noob will wander into our realm with
some sort of idiocy. And if by chance one does fall into our exalted kingdom of knobbery, we pounce like zoo lions on a goat carcass and feast not because we need to but because we can. It doesn't even matter if we agree with the noob, he's still dismembered.

What we need is a proper frother, El-Stinko, bless his heart, is a good guy and will never reach the requisite level of bastardry necessary to be a true believer. n8 is the forum sock puppet except dumber and apart from that the visits from the right are few and fleeting. Maybe each week we should designate one of us to be "frother of the week", under a new name (mod approved of course) just to spice things up.

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
^^^ anyone who reps that schyte is muy ghey

* edit: must spread...

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
El-Stinko, bless his heart, is a good guy and will never reach the requisite level of bastardry necessary to be a true believer.
Stinkle can form his own opinions and *gasp* actually communicate them.

n8 might find that people would listen and not snicker if he tried it more often.

More often than....once. I think he did that once. I can't remember the thread though. I might be wrong.

Maybe n8 doesn't have any opinions to communicate because even he doesn't believe the bullsh1t that he pastes?

At least I know I am full of sh1t and I admit it once in awhile.

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
Stinkle can form his own opinions and *gasp* actually communicate them.

n8 might find that people would listen and not snicker if he tried it more often.

More often than....once. I think he did that once. I can't remember the thread though. I might be wrong.

Maybe n8 doesn't have any opinions to communicate because even he doesn't believe the bullsh1t that he pastes?

At least I know I am full of sh1t and I admit it once in awhile.
Well we know what n8 is and what his agenda is, the only bit I can't understand is why he continues it. It's boring for me and I generally just skip over his stuff in this forum. One thing I've learned living in Japan for so long is that if I get annoyed every time someone is a knob, does something inexplicable or is just plain stupid I'll end up in the loony-bin, posting under the name "Dribbling In Continents".:busted: