Quantcast

$120/barrel crude by Sept...

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Hubba hubba...!

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=newsarchive&sid=autFGntuNqZY

Crude May Rise to $120 in Six Months, Taqa CEO Says (Update2)
By Glen Carey

March 4 (Bloomberg) -- Crude oil may rise to $120 a barrel within six months due to the dollar weakness and global political tensions, the chief executive officer of Abu Dhabi National Energy Co. said.

``I think a trading range between $80 and $120 a barrel this year is about right,'' Peter Barker-Homek, the head of the United Arab Emirates state-controlled company, which is also known as Taqa, said in an interview in Dubai today. ``But with the softness of the dollar, and the occasional interruptions that you have because of politics, I think we could see $120 oil.''

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
I think I should sell my jeep and get something super fuel efficient.

Except that it's paid off and I commute to work as much as possible.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
my wife drives for work, that's why once her car is paid off, it gets sold for something more efficient.

I just plan on my next vehicle having alternatives. My guess is every vehicle from now on will be, at least for me.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Mine too, but are there super fuel efficient 4wd SUVs out there?
efficient awd vehicles are coming! see the last few pages of my ride pics thread. Cliffs Notes:

VW Tiguan 4motion TDI
VW Jetta Wagon 4motion TDI
MB GLK BlueHybrid diesel-electric hybrid
Subaru Legacy Wagon with the boxer diesel

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
efficient awd vehicles are coming! see the last few pages of my ride pics thread. Cliffs Notes:
Do I want my wife to have an AWD?

Her 4wd is pretty badass for what it is and I've heard there are more problems with AWD vehicles.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001

Her 4wd is pretty badass for what it is and I've heard there are more problems with AWD vehicles.
my impression is that there is much more variability between individual designs (and between individual vehicles, lemon or not!) than across the sweeping class of "4WD" and "AWD".

there are so many varieties of drive to all wheels that writing off those that call themselves "AWD" seems sillly: full-time, part-time, manual hubs, automatically locking hubs, low range or not, front-biased, rear-biased, electronic transfer cases vs. manual, Haldex, Torsen, clutch packs vs. center differentials, etc.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR

She is eyeballing the Nissan Rouge. Not wicked efficient by any means, but it gets better mileage than her car (Chevy Malibu POS) and the CVT is slick.

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
my impression is that there is much more variability between individual designs (and between individual vehicles, lemon or not!) than across the sweeping class of "4WD" and "AWD".
While this is true, 'Woo's answer is close enough for the layman.

4WD generally refers to a system optimized for off-roading. Usually means part time system that rarely includes a center differential (and may inlude locking diffs). This is actually a good thing for off-roading, but bad for dry pavement. Usually they're selectable between 2WD and 4WD, and you'll spend most time on the road in 2WD.

AWD generally refers to a system optimized for slick roads. Always a full time system that at minimum has a center diff, but may include all kinds of limited slips, throttle controls, and active braking in addition. They rarely, if ever, have a 2WD selectable option. AWD have varying capability, but (given the same tires, which is the most important factor in traction) almost any will be better on slick roads than a 4WD vehicle.

edit: to address opie's concern, neither system is inherently more or less reliable. Subies AWD is pretty rock-solid, as is Toyota's 4WD.

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Blindly running into cactus
i just wish we had an alternative to the minivan. with 3 kids of our own and an additional 4 yr old that my wife babysits during the week, our vehicle options are limited. we were looking into trading in the van for a volvo wagon with the rear seats but it's only about a 3mpg savings from the van on average and a lot less room. i guess we're just stuck with the 17/23 of the van 'cause it's even less economical to trade in a paid for vehicle that gets 17/23mpg for a car payment on a hybrid suv/van that gets 25/30mpg. i'd rather suck up the extra gas bill than fork out $$ every month for a car payment.
of course, there is always the dual side-car option for a motorcycle. ;)

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
when driving up to the mountains it cracks me up to see drivers in 4WD vehicles spin out their rear tires, obviously having never cracked open their manual to find out how to shift their beloved trucklets' transfer cases into 4-Hi...

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
For driving on iced/plowed slick roads, and drifting turns, AWD rules.

For making tracks in 2 feet of fresh snow and crawling up insanely rocky dirt roads, 4wd is it.

What does she do more of?
Neither really, but I'd say she drives through more powder than ice. She probably puts her Jeep into 4wd about three weeks of the year.
Good info.

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
Neither really, but I'd say she drives through more powder than ice. She probably puts her Jeep into 4wd about three weeks of the year.

Good info.
More likely than not, she'd be best served by AWD and good tires. In fact most people would be far better served by snow tires on a front wheel drive vehicle than all-seasons on an AWD. AWD doesn't help in braking, and only helps in turning if you know how to use throttle to recover. For $500 in snow tires/wheels, and $50 a season to have them taken on and off (if you can't do it yourself) you'd be far far safer than dropping serious coin on a new AWD, not to mention the poor gas mileage you get in AWD vs FWD.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
to be fair most cars have wheels/tires big enough that $500 won't cover an extra snow tire/wheel set. (used OEM rims, shipping, and snow tires were ~$1300 for me.)

nevertheless i totally agree with ohio above.

/me runs snow tires on a rwd vehicle with chains in the trunk for security.

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch
I'm having 4 new snows installed on the Jetta tomorrow. I was hoping to make to the end of the season on my current ones....but nay....flat tire. So 4 BFG Slalom somethingorother for $509 installed/balanced/valve stem...

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
Regardless of the weather, I can't turn off the 4WD on my
Jeep....yep....14 mpg no matter what. It is pretty unstoppable in the snow mind you......

But how I miss Command-Trac....
Ahhhh, Command-Trac. You're stuck in 2wd until you're sliding sideways on a patch of unseen ice in the middle of a wet roadway yanking furiously on the 4wd lever while simultaneously downshifting to try to get all 4 wheels to slow down all at once.

On the flip side, when it was 6"+ of snow, the jeep was awesome. We'd get 20+ inches of snow and I'd have a blast driving around trying to get stuck. Periodically you'd have to clear snow out of the grill...

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
*Shrugs*. I was reading yesterday that oil is way over the odds at the moment and that a significant correction is on the cards, to somewhere around $60 a barrel. Who the hell knows, certainly not Chicken8 Little.

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
to be fair most cars have wheels/tires big enough that $500 won't cover an extra snow tire/wheel set.
Just ran a search for snow tires at www.tirerack.com, and 4 16" (215/70QR16) Blizzaks on steelies ran $620.00. For 17" yeah, you'd have to add about $200, but most cars should run higher profile snow tires than stock anyway...

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
i just wish we had an alternative to the minivan. with 3 kids of our own and an additional 4 yr old that my wife babysits during the week, our vehicle options are limited. we were looking into trading in the van for a volvo wagon with the rear seats but it's only about a 3mpg savings from the van on average and a lot less room. i guess we're just stuck with the 17/23 of the van 'cause it's even less economical to trade in a paid for vehicle that gets 17/23mpg for a car payment on a hybrid suv/van that gets 25/30mpg. i'd rather suck up the extra gas bill than fork out $$ every month for a car payment.
of course, there is always the dual side-car option for a motorcycle. ;)
dude

HELLLLOOOOOO

DaveW

Space Monkey
Jul 2, 2001
The bunker at parliament
I think I should sell my jeep and get something super fuel efficient.

Except that it's paid off and I commute to work as much as possible.
I Keep my bigger wagon for long trips/load hauling and sh!tty weather days and got a motor bike for most of my getting around.
Fuel bills gone from $60+ a week to about $16!!!! :shocked:

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
the future is here..

GORDA, Calif.- If you're going to be heading down the Big Sur Coastline anytime soon, you'll probably going to want to have a full tank before you leave with the price of crude oil skyrocketing. With gasoline following the same direction, the Americo gas station in Gorda, just south of Big Sur is selling premium unleaded gas for $5.39 a gallon. If you can do without premium regular's a relative bargain at $5.19.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
The few times we get snow around here all you see are AWD and 4WD vehicles in the ditch. Being able to put power to the ground for the most part only prevents you from getting stuck and helps you go too fast. It doesn't help with stopping or turning, that is all in the tires. I'm always a little scared driving my subie in ice as the AWD makes the car feel more stable than it really is, it is harder to feel the road and figure out the actual level of grip.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I Keep my bigger wagon for long trips/load hauling and sh!tty weather days and got a motor bike for most of my getting around.
Fuel bills gone from $60+ a week to about $16!!!! :shocked:
how many weeks of $45/wk savings will it take to pay off the motorbike, insurance, and gear? :twitch:

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
how many weeks of $45/wk savings will it take to pay off the motorbike, insurance, and gear? :twitch:
Take my commute: 80 miles a day, 400 miles a week, or 20000 miles a year (finally moving offices to within 3 miles in April so I put up with it for a stretch)

Buy motorcycle (65mpg): $4500
Annual insurance: $400
Riding gear: $400
Sell motorcycle: -$4000 (I actually got $4500 out of it, but that's 'cause I got skeelz)
Subtotal cost: $1300

My alternative is an 87 4runner that gets 22mpg.

In the truck I'd consume 20,000/22 = 900 gallons
On the moto, I consumed 20,000/65 - 300 gallons
Assume $3.00/gallon (California). Difference in cost is $1800 or a net savings of $500.

Realistically, I didn't commute every day and I didn't commute every time on the bike, but most people would also keep it longer and be able to amortize the gear over multiple years.

DaveW

Space Monkey
Jul 2, 2001
The bunker at parliament
$1500 for a bike, insurance, helmet, leathers? wow. :D

Yep
Bike $1,100
Insurance $138 per year
Helmet, jacket, $198 (HRC helmet, dri rider jacket).
Boots $95

Note the bike is a 2nd hand 150cc 2stroke, yes it's small but it still gets from 0-100kmph a lot quicker than my car and I've had it up to 150kmph so far (recon I can get more without the backpack).

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
interesting points here.. perhaps the OPEC nations are engineering their own demise..

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB120459389654809159.html?mod=googlenews_wsj

The World Has Plenty of Oil
By NANSEN G. SALERI
March 4, 2008; Page A17

The world is not running out of oil anytime soon. A gradual transitioning on the global scale away from a fossil-based energy system may in fact happen during the 21st century. The root causes, however, will most likely have less to do with lack of supplies and far more with superior alternatives. The overused observation that "the Stone Age did not end due to a lack of stones" may in fact find its match.

The solutions to global energy needs require an intelligent integration of environmental, geopolitical and technical perspectives each with its own subsets of complexity. On one of these -- the oil supply component -- the news is positive. Sufficient liquid crude supplies do exist to sustain production rates at or near 100 million barrels per day almost to the end of this century.