Quantcast

12345 Tuesday 54321

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
Mornin', monkeys. Peru Rail changed our reservations from 3:00 PM to 8:30 AM, so we got skunked on riding this morning. Which is fine because after yesterday, the 2000 foot hike-a-bike planned doesnt sound so fun. (The hike would have started at 13,000 feet.
Oh well...poor me.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
Back in the office today after a nice Easter vacation. Unfortunately it has decided to snow yesterday and today. The joy of Danish spring.

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
nothing like getting woken up by a work call when I could have slept in for another two hours. :banghead: Early morning driver couldn't find an address in Oakland. Luckily I knew the place and helped him find it.

Triple espresso and feeding my 3 furballs is now in progress. Wifey is heading off to a 4 day Dressage competition in a few hours.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
At this point I have cleared enough stuff out of my basement to cover my new brakes and then some. I forgot how enjoyable purging can be.

Now trying to sort through some work stuff.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Mornin!

Have to go into the office today, which makes 4 out of the past 5 days. I'm over this malarky!!!

Amazingly awkward moment in a group meeting this morning. Someone was saying they scheduled their vaccine appointment, and someone else asked why (awkward #1). Poor coworker then had to say she became eligible because of her high BMI (awkward #2). Oof.

Last edited:

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
Had a nice call with a recruiter yesterday, who is submitting me for two different jobs. Both would be around 100% pay increase. No idea about the company culture, work environment, etc. for either role. I do know that both of them would be 100% remote, so that's rad. They are also both shorter-term contracts, 3-6 months. My current gig is a 12-month contract, and they are looking to bring me on as an FTE when my contract is up in mid-June.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
My old boss at my first job after school told me a story about an early demo for one of their machines, where the controls guy was literally behind a curtain toggling solenoids off/on to get the machine to look like it was working right. Awesome.

I Are Baboon

Vagina man
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
After 9 solid hours of sleep last night and a five shot Americano this morning, I am wired as fuck right now. I think my caffeine tolerance has taken a hit since I have stopped drinking all of those espresso shots....not that I have consciously made an effort to do that, but I just don't hit up the Harbucks any more since I never leave the house. I had to take my car for the seasonal tire swap this morning though, so I stopped and picked up an Americano en route.

So anyway, I ran 5 easy miles before all of that shit went down. #coolstorybro: So over the past 10 days, I've done a "virtual race" series consisting of 3.3, 5.5, and 9.8 mile races, plus the cumulative total. Looks like I took first place in all of them. and by a metric shitload. :twitch: ETA: Second place in the cumulative results is 16 minutes behind me.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Finally getting awake. I had two CBD waters (20 wtf that means) and promptly went to bed on the couch at 6:30pm. Wifey woke me up at 8:30pm long enough to go upstairs and prep for actual bed then slept (with few on-off's) until 6:30am. I don't think I've slept this long or deep in months. I'm still tired, but not foggy, like alcohol would do.

Busy today. Compliance was nice enough to remind us that per Series 65 regulations, any distribution of communication of >20 people at one time is considered to be a solicitation. So despite doing client (retirement plan) requested outreach to participants (employees), we are limited to bunches of 20 emails at a time. I have an aggregate of over 9,000 participants in my plans with required monthly outreach. I just lost my admin. Even getting super efficient with using keyboard vs. mouse for moving lists of people from excel into emails down to maybe 1min, I'm looking at 450 emails and 6hrs per month spent sending these emails. I'm just one person on the highest revenue generating team in the country and I'm burning an entire week/yr doing this instead of generating income, let alone making these materials. With making materials? Probably 2-3 weeks/yr, since I'm not as quick making stuff. Extrapolate that through my team and we spend half a year doing this. We make 2x what the admins make and they support two teams each. I don't understand this math. You reduce the top line expense, but the bottom line revenues will likely be impacted as a multiple. There are already multiple people on my and other teams who are at limit with this and looking for other jobs in the company, most are high revenue generating people. I'm at a loss here.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Finally getting awake. I had two CBD waters (20 wtf that means) and promptly went to bed on the couch at 6:30pm. Wifey woke me up at 8:30pm long enough to go upstairs and prep for actual bed then slept (with few on-off's) until 6:30am. I don't think I've slept this long or deep in months. I'm still tired, but not foggy, like alcohol would do.

Busy today. Compliance was nice enough to remind us that per Series 65 regulations, any distribution of communication of >20 people at one time is considered to be a solicitation. So despite doing client (retirement plan) requested outreach to participants (employees), we are limited to bunches of 20 emails at a time. I have an aggregate of over 9,000 participants in my plans with required monthly outreach. I just lost my admin. Even getting super efficient with using keyboard vs. mouse for moving lists of people from excel into emails down to maybe 1min, I'm looking at 450 emails and 6hrs per month spent sending these emails. I'm just one person on the highest revenue generating team in the country and I'm burning an entire week/yr doing this instead of generating income, let alone making these materials. With making materials? Probably 2-3 weeks/yr, since I'm not as quick making stuff. Extrapolate that through my team and we spend half a year doing this. We make 2x what the admins make and they support two teams each. I don't understand this math. You reduce the top line expense, but the bottom line revenues will likely be impacted as a multiple. There are already multiple people on my and other teams who are at limit with this and looking for other jobs in the company, most are high revenue generating people. I'm at a loss here.
write a script that parses the distribution list into groups of 20, repeat until end. you know how to code right?

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
write a script that parses the distribution list into groups of 20, repeat until end. you know how to code right?
Negative. I was thinking about the best way to do it in excel directly, but I can't think of a way to automate it.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Negative. I was thinking about the best way to do it in excel directly, but I can't think of a way to automate it.
Isn't that some sort of mail merge functionality bullshit with a macro bolted on top?

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout

just put the DL in bcc and boom no traceability

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001

no amount of money....nope....never....

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
My old boss at my first job after school told me a story about an early demo for one of their machines, where the controls guy was literally behind a curtain toggling solenoids off/on to get the machine to look like it was working right. Awesome.
That's how all software product demos work. It's all smoke and mirrors, no exceptions.

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
I agree with jon and 6th that that emailing task is eminently suitable for automation/mail merge/little script.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle

I can't tell you how many times I was the controls guy where I was given 4 hours to get a machine working before it had to ship to a trade show, but a bunch of critical parts weren't installed so I had to make it look like it worked.