Quantcast

12345 Tuesday 54321

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Rode on my white cracke(r|d) frame. Was fun, will be sad to see it dispatched to crabon heaven. SC agrees this is a failure covered by warranty, but since they have no spare frames left, I am given head-scratching options instead. Le fuq.
Previous gen Hightower isn't it?

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
Rode on my white cracke(r|d) frame. Was fun, will be sad to see it dispatched to crabon heaven. SC agrees this is a failure covered by warranty, but since they have no spare frames left, I am given head-scratching options instead. Le fuq.
Ride the fuck out of it and make it a frame failure worth talking about. For real.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
The reality is, everyone is replaceable, and many managers (all my managers ever) judge people by how many hours they clock in every day. And since everyone plays along, sticking out like a sore thumb ... is suboptimal for your career. I refuse (mostly) to work on weekends without compensation but my wife got badly bullied and her career got stalled because she refused to do free weekend shifts.
Fuck those managers. What you're describing is bullshit and you should not tolerate it...

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
What options do you have? Other than of course buying a new frame at retail?

CrabJoe StretchPants

Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
Re: work hours, I had a relevant conversation with my boss today, talking about a new kid in our group that just started, his work hours appear to be unknown and can't be reached easily.

I'm paraphrasing, but he basically said it used to drive him a bit nuts that I tended to start later and schedule was all over the place, but when he quickly learned I got my shit done, he didn't give a shit what/when I worked. He knows I'll work 3hrs in a day and fuck off the rest of the day on occasion and could care less, because he knows I'll put in a 16hr day if it's required. I've never once been pressured/expected to work more than a typical 40hr week, but will (rarely) do it out of appreciation and respect for the way my manager lets me handle my time and work/family balance.

That shit is fucking priceless.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
what options did they offer you?

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Previous gen Hightower isn't it?
Yep.
Ride the fuck out of it and make it a frame failure worth talking about. For real.
Not too keen on having the swingarm explode during the next drop.
What options do you have? Other than of course buying a new frame at retail?
1/3 off a crash replacement cost but I have to get a new shock with it, and no coils as they don't fit in V2 Hightower or V3 Bronson. My current frame shows a lot of wear and tear though, east coast roxx are not kind to talentless hacks like me.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Re: work hours, I had a relevant conversation with my boss today, talking about a new kid in our group that just started, his work hours appear to be unknown and can't be reached easily.

I'm paraphrasing, but he basically said it used to drive him a bit nuts that I tended to start later and schedule was all over the place, but when he quickly learned I got my shit done, he didn't give a shit what/when I worked. He knows I'll work 3hrs in a day and fuck off the rest of the day on occasion and could care less, because he knows I'll put in a 16hr day if it's required. I've never once been pressured/expected to work more than a typical 40hr week, but will (rarely) do it out of appreciation and respect for the way my manager lets me handle my time and work/family balance.

:wave:

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!

I work for a seed level startup, my number is 8 and am the first non-core-developer employee besides the CEO. The CEO and CTO are married and work whenever they aren't asleep. I did not know that when I joined and probably would not have joined had I that information. OTOH, I knew what I was getting myself into when joining an early startup so I mostly grumble but get the 12-16hrs/days done.

My previous company was a bunch of assholes though. Two weeks into my tenure, they hired a new CEO in India, a fucking racist, who made me work on both IST and EST via passive/aggressive bullying. I will never work for an Indian boss again.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
I work for a seed level startup, my number is 8 and am the first non-core-developer employee besides the CEO. The CEO and CTO are married and work whenever they aren't asleep. I did not know that when I joined and probably would not have joined had I that information. OTOH, I knew what I was getting myself into when joining an early startup so I mostly grumble but get the 12-16hrs/days done.

My previous company was a bunch of assholes though. Two weeks into my tenure, they hired a new CEO in India, a fucking racist, who made me work on both IST and EST via passive/aggressive bullying. I will never work for an Indian boss again.

That's tough..... definitely a high risk/high reward scenario I always assumed came along with start ups. Shitload of grinding and misery, but potential to be all set if things take off.

I've always opted for the other approach, more so now than ever as I have kids. Maximize $$$ and minimize work. Some call it lazy/not driven, I call it smart.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
That's tough..... definitely a high risk/high reward scenario I always assumed came along with start ups. Shitload of grinding and misery, but potential to be all set if things take off.

I've always opted for the other approach, more so now than ever as I have kids. Maximize $$$ and minimize work. Some call it lazy/not driven, I call it smart.
So many frustrating things about my job right now but I have optimized my $/time ratio. Not to mention minimal travel, all my previous jobs required significant travel.

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth

I have been working for a guy from Mumbai for 14 years. He leaves me the fuck alone because I get shit done that no one else including him can handle. Yeah I put in a lot of hours but I get my compensation. I take off when I need to. no push back on days off or Vacations.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
pretty much in the "i get my shit done and done well; show up when i need to; leave me alone otherwise" boat. and have done it long enough to work my way up to a decent salary, at least in my field. only thing that's annoying are the occasional evening/weekend events. but the ability to pretty much manage my own time is great. plus i mostly like what i do, which certainly helps.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
So many frustrating things about my job right now but I have optimized my $/time ratio. Not to mention minimal travel, all my previous jobs required significant travel.
Of course you never get to travel anywhere good for work. It's always, oh hey, we need you to leave in 3 days for a two week trip to Gary, IN. Enjoy your $25 per diem at the local Chili's.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Of course you never get to travel anywhere good for work. It's always, oh hey, we need you to leave in 3 days for a two week trip to Gary, IN. Enjoy your $25 per diem at the local Chili's.
Pretty much this. I got to go to Japan a few times but it was "go to japan, can't go anywhere because you have to be on call 24/7 on top of working 12 hours a day. Oh and you will be there by yourself with no ability to communicate with anyone"

I did do a long term project in LA. Sent a bike out there and got to ride with Ghostrider and T-dog a bunch.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
I would just put her in rehab RIGHT NOW.
Hahaha. I was listening to it driving in to drop her off this morning. Picking her up she asked if I was going to play the new song and has since asked me to play the new song about 10 times.
This is up there with Haley's a favorite band being Rise Against. Gotta get 'em started early.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
Frequent spots for us are Cork, Molsheim, Darmstadt, Switzerland and Singapore.

Oh, and Wisconsin :rofl:

CrabJoe StretchPants

Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
Hannah's new favorite song is Johnny Cash - Hurt. That's appropriate for a 3y/o, right? :D
This has been on my YT playlist mix a lot recently.

My 3yo has been obsessed with a live version of Alexisonfire - Dog's Blood for over a year because of his dad, including repeating when the singer yells "let's fuck this place up" right before the big ending. Too awesome/funny to stop.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
Frequent spots for us are Cork, Molsheim, Darmstadt, Switzerland and Singapore.
Do you bring a bike when travelling to Darmstadt? I grew up in the area and there are some fantastic riding options.
Jumpy like this
, but also natural rough trails. Most, especially the good ones, are not sanctioned though. So just play clueless American if the police catches you (yes, in some spots people got fined for riding, rare occurence though).