Quantcast

'13 Turner DHR sizing/ reviews?

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
just curious, how come?
Probably because due to being designed for a coil it will:
A, not have enough progression mid-stroke leading to wallow which will make you run it with higher pressure so it's harsh, and
B, too much end-stroke progression, which when added to the air-shock progression will mean extremely harsh travel over chunky stuff at speed.

It's really not a good idea to mix this stuff up IME.

TrumbullHucker

trumbullruxer
Aug 29, 2005
shimzbury, ct
Probably because due to being designed for a coil it will:
A, not have enough progression mid-stroke leading to wallow which will make you run it with higher pressure so it's harsh, and
B, too much end-stroke progression, which when added to the air-shock progression will mean extremely harsh travel over chunky stuff at speed.

It's really not a good idea to mix this stuff up IME.

gotcha.. i knew the DW DHR was very progressive in nature; thus me ditching the fat shafted RC4 for the Vivid for a more linear feel... but I did not know the nature of DH air shocks... gracias

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
gotcha.. i knew the DW DHR was very progressive in nature; thus me ditching the fat shafted RC4 for the Vivid for a more linear feel... but I did not know the nature of DH air shocks... gracias
It's the nature of any air shock. There are some tweaks that can be made to the curve, but the general shape doesn't change.

TrumbullHucker

trumbullruxer
Aug 29, 2005
shimzbury, ct
Bump for server sake?

I love her to death but she's getting dated. I feel like I would benefit from a larger sized frame. And maybe...possibly.. just maybe.. benefit from 650b

Looking at a Large '15 AL Devinci Wilson.. Can anyone shine a light on those frames?

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Bump for server sake?

I love her to death but she's getting dated. I feel like I would benefit from a larger sized frame. And maybe...possibly.. just maybe.. benefit from 650b

Looking at a Large '15 AL Devinci Wilson.. Can anyone shine a light on those frames?
I've been thinking the same and the Wilson is up there on what'd replace it.

My medium frame just feels way too small now. And I'm only 5'8.

daisycutter

Turbo Monkey
Apr 8, 2006
New York City
I’ve been hitting my 2015 DHR hard of late. I am liking it more and more. I’ve been to Platte,Killington, Windham so far this year. I think I got the BOS suspension figured out . Now I have to figure a way to have it serviced at seasons end.
I’m going to Paris at the end of August maybe I’ll take it with me .

TrumbullHucker

trumbullruxer
Aug 29, 2005
shimzbury, ct
So I ran some numbers compared to a '16 Gambler Large VS DHR Large

The Gambler is approx 1"+ reach, 32mm longer wheelbase, 1mm+ BB height (lul), 1"+ stack, and 1" shorter chainstay length

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
So I ran some numbers compared to a '16 Gambler Large VS DHR Large

The Gambler is approx 1"+ reach, 32mm longer wheelbase, 1mm+ BB height (lul), 1"+ stack, and 1" shorter chainstay length
Oh man, if you're considering this as your upgrade, just do it. You're in for a treat.

If it helps, I'm your height (6'0) and large is like a glove.
Some pics of mine here.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
It's okay to be 650b-curious

Unlikely you'll be able to get much for the DHR, I parted mine out May last year, selling frame/fork/wheels separately. I think I got $600 for the frame.

I'd post up all the geo numbers I collected when new frame hunting, but I was coming from an XL DHR and looking for ~455mm reach on my new frame.

LAP

Chimp
Mar 5, 2016
I don't have much to contribute to this thread other than to say that I was riding at MSA yesterday and saw two guys on DHRs. Man, they still look good in the wild(the bikes, not the guys). Not as shiny as more recent plastic bicyclette, but the classic design and the quality of the craftmanship makes them look intemporal, especially the raw ones.

TrumbullHucker

trumbullruxer
Aug 29, 2005
shimzbury, ct
Oh man, if you're considering this as your upgrade, just do it. You're in for a treat.

If it helps, I'm your height (6'0) and large is like a glove.
Some pics of mine here.
Yeah I get pretty giddy reading about it..not getting any bites on the 1700$ selling

p.s is that last picture the drop on schyler?

I don't have much to contribute to this thread other than to say that I was riding at MSA yesterday and saw two guys on DHRs. Man, they still look good in the wild(the bikes, not the guys). Not as shiny as more recent plastic bicyclette, but the classic design and the quality of the craftmanship makes them look intemporal, especially the raw ones.
thats whats so tough getting rid of it.. I absolutely love all the components on her too, boxxer WC, vivid.. the suspension has been feeling unreal. being in welding and cnc is another reason why I kept trying to keep the aluminum clear coated

VITAL thought it was pretty trick too https://www.facebook.com/VitalMTB/photos/a.214534811059.164976.127066331059/10154077339066060/?type=3&theater

But now a days, I cant just frame swap. I need all updated components.

....so thats that : /[/img]

TrumbullHucker

trumbullruxer
Aug 29, 2005
shimzbury, ct
It's okay to be 650b-curious

Unlikely you'll be able to get much for the DHR, I parted mine out May last year, selling frame/fork/wheels separately. I think I got $600 for the frame.

I'd post up all the geo numbers I collected when new frame hunting, but I was coming from an XL DHR and looking for ~455mm reach on my new frame.
shite.... yeah ill part it out if i get no bites.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
why can’t you frame swap? would you need to rebuild anything other than possibly a rear wheel? and mabye a lower bearing cup? that’s all i had to do when going from 2010 to 2018 bike...

TrumbullHucker

trumbullruxer
Aug 29, 2005
shimzbury, ct
why can’t you frame swap? would you need to rebuild anything other than possibly a rear wheel? and mabye a lower bearing cup? that’s all i had to do when going from 2010 to 2018 bike...
I honestly dont know. wouldn't I need new lowers for 650b fitment? 10/7/8 whatever the fuck speed shifters? New shock for this bullshit metric sizing? Weird ass axle sizes and lengths ( which you stated )

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
I honestly dont know. wouldn't I need new lowers for 650b fitment? 10/7/8 whatever the fuck speed shifters? New shock for this bullshit metric sizing? Weird ass axle sizes and lengths ( which you stated )
i’d assume your new frame would come with a new rear shock. beyond that, as obama says, if you like your other shifty bits and such, you can keep your shifty bits and such. i guess i future-proofed my uzzi a while back when i needed a new front shock and got a 27.5 front shock and just stuck a 26 wheel in it. but a lot of 26 shocks can clear a 27.5 wheel, i think...anyone else have better intel on this front?

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
I moved my whole drivetrain over from DHR to GT Fury. It was in good enough condition and I was happy with my 9 speed cassette mated to X9 shifter and Zee RD (I think I bought an adapter from @big-ted) . I needed new fork, wheels, tyres and headset. I did swap front chainring down to a 34T from 36T too after a few rides...

Check Ebay for wheels and fork, I paid $365 for a brand new set of DT Swiss FR1950 wheels which came with 150/157 rear endcaps plus XD driver and $600 for brand new Boxxer Team.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
Yeah I get pretty giddy reading about it..not getting any bites on the 1700$ selling
p.s is that last picture the drop on schyler?
Nah it's in Queenstown Bikepark (Hobbit track I think)

I know there's a huge DHR following on RM, but I've spent a lot of time on the DW-DHR, and the Gambler (even the '13-14 26", let alone the new one) beats it in virtually every aspect. If you're comparing the 650b Gambler to the DW-DHR then it's not even a contest - which is why I said you're in for a treat.

I buy a DH lift ticket every season and I get the drift you're the same sort of guy, if that's the case then you'll be very happy. I think 650b makes the bikeparks more fun too, cuts down fatigue and makes it faster to get into the swing of things.

Enjoy!

TrumbullHucker

trumbullruxer
Aug 29, 2005
shimzbury, ct
In the mean-time, I have 35mm Havoc AL bars with 20mm rise... and I feel hunched on the flow trails and such...
Would getting bars with higher rise (like 35mm rise) make a positive difference? I especially feel alot of my weight forward on the chunky steeps.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
In the mean-time, I have 35mm Havoc AL bars with 20mm rise... and I feel hunched on the flow trails and such...
Would getting bars with higher rise (like 35mm rise) make a positive difference? I especially feel alot of my weight forward on the chunky steeps.
yep, or a taller stem, or more spacers under your upper crown. Had the same issue on my GT. A little more rise and I was more comfortable.

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
Nah it's in Queenstown Bikepark (Hobbit track I think)

I know there's a huge DHR following on RM, but I've spent a lot of time on the DW-DHR, and the Gambler (even the '13-14 26", let alone the new one) beats it in virtually every aspect. If you're comparing the 650b Gambler to the DW-DHR then it's not even a contest - which is why I said you're in for a treat.

I buy a DH lift ticket every season and I get the drift you're the same sort of guy, if that's the case then you'll be very happy. I think 650b makes the bikeparks more fun too, cuts down fatigue and makes it faster to get into the swing of things.

Enjoy!
Just buy the cheap Commencal 29" DH whatever the hell it is called and be good for a 3-4 years of updating. The 31" wheelsize will be breaking ground by then.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
I think I was using the taller crown with 30mm rise bars on mine.