'13 Turner DHR sizing/ reviews?

TrumbullHucker

trumbullruxer
Aug 29, 2005
shimzbury, ct
woaahh this new interface is trrrrrrippy maaaaan jk

shes 80% there.. waiting on brake mount

ah yes... the placebo affect.....
how did you like the vivid? im going to tune my rc4 to the tunes mentioned in this thread, im sure it will feel great up in VT this weekend, but ill keep my eyes open to some used vivid coils

cheers:cheers:

TrumbullHucker

trumbullruxer
Aug 29, 2005
shimzbury, ct
I have the old style RC4 on mine and haven't notice any ill effects. I run my Boost Valve fully open with 140psi, instead of the recommended 150psi on the Turner site. Rides like a dream. Would be curious to see how the new style RC4 compares, if it supposedly even better.
The thing to consider is that you have to run the old RC4 pretty loose (low psi, biggest boost valve, less compression) to get it supple on the DHR.
this is where i get a tad confused. im assuming when you guys are talking about PSI, its in the air chamber of the rc4.. i changed my fat shaft rc4 to 140psi. but where i get lost is when you guys say "fully open" or "biggest boost valve"
where do you adjust this?

yd35

Monkey
Oct 28, 2008
NY
Full open, wide open, or loose are all ways of saying that you are using the least amount of adjustment for that particular valve. On the RC4 and most other shocks (maybe all other shocks?) that means your dial is full counter clockwise. So full open on the compression dials means the least amount of compression damping and full CCW. Full open on rebound means the least amount of rebound damping, which translates to a faster physical rebound when you compress the shock.

Boost valve is Fox's special name for their position sensitive damping technology, which is just the goodness inside the air chamber and the bottom out control knob at the bottom of it. The psi in the air chamber affects the whole range of the shock's travel, while the bottom out adjustment only works on the end of the travel. If you like the way your shock feels but it blows through its end stroke, you can leave everything else alone and adjust the bottom out knob. Turning the bottom out clockwise makes the shock more progressive (I believe this happens because you are decreasing the air volume in the can), which effectively firms up its end stroke. So when we say "biggest boost valve" or "boost valve fully open" what we really mean is that the bottom out adjust is all the way counter clockwise, which translates to the biggest possible air volume in the can, and the least amount of progressiveness. And as we learned from Udi and others, the DHR has progressiveness built into the latter stages of the its travel, so we don't need a shock that accentuates that.

Last edited:

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
I might need to check my RC4, I might have the bottom out wound in rather than all the way out.

fro biker

Monkey
Oct 18, 2006
in the sticks
Anyone have a cool solution to chain slap against the chainstay/seatstay arch? Velcro is working-ish, just not much surface area for the adhesive to hold.

TrumbullHucker

trumbullruxer
Aug 29, 2005
shimzbury, ct
i have always been anal with noise.. with my cars too

the frame came with alot of velcro near the chain slap area... maybe velcro will be more quiet than electrical tape?

ocelot

Monkey
Mar 8, 2009
Canadastan
I have the Saint derailleur with clutch and the chain slap is still audible. I have every contact surface taped with 3m 2228 Mastic tape. Since I ride teh EAST COAST GNAR™, it kind of gets annoying. I think I shall double up on the rubber. Duh huh huh huh!

Mo(n)arch

Turbo Monkey
Dec 27, 2010
Italy/south Tyrol
I love threads talking about anal and rubber :banana:

I am using frame wrap for the chainstays. You don't have to glue it on the frame, which is an advantage imo. Not sure whether it's quieter or not.
What about velcro. Too fast wearing?

fro biker

Monkey
Oct 18, 2006
in the sticks
Fro, have you really never seen that stuff? That's what's actually on mine. It still wears away (mine is pretty much gone at this point) but it's pretty rad. If you're up my way I'll give you some.
I had forgotten what it was called (I have used a similar off-brand style) - and I had velcro on the brain, so it didn't come to mind. And I appreciate the offer! I think I'll just buy some, gotta prep the race machine for this coming weekend.

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
While I admit mastic tape works quite well, it can be a real bitch to remove - especially if you're in an area which gets hot enough to semi-melt the stuff onto the frame. It will also eventually wear through like Woo said, but it usually lasts a good while. I just bought some 40 mil clear tape from Lamex which I'm using for cable rub protection, but I suspect it would work pretty well for chainslap protection as well (although it would turn black/grimey quickly I would imagine).

The other idea would be to get hammered and try to linex the rear triangle

TrumbullHucker

trumbullruxer
Aug 29, 2005
shimzbury, ct
im going to try out wrapping the chain slap areas with velcro for this weekend.. we will see how it goes. i can imagine protection will be fine, and maybe more quiet than wraps or tapes

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
While I admit mastic tape works quite well, it can be a real bitch to remove
Agreed, though you misspelt "absolute freakin' nightmare". I used that stuff for a while but refuse to use it again after the mess it was to get off. Not very impressive for a 3M product.

I found a cool alternative in the form of thin double-sided foam tape topped with black electrical tape for that stealth look. I should check which brands I used before I go giving bad suggestions, but the foam backing absorbs the hits (so the electrical tape lasts a long time) and it's lighter and easier to remove than mastic.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
I've read the tip before that a layer of clear tape under the mastic solves the removal issue.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
looks good TH!

fwiw: I installed a CCDB coil on loan from a buddy on my dhr and after reading, tweaking and re-tweaking I chased a pretty fast guy down Keystone all day. Noticeably awesomer in every way, other than needing a wrench to adjust mid-ride. I had just rebuilt my fork last night and the bike never rode faster and felt better than it did today. Rear took fast successive hits much better, sucked up the sh!tty brake bumps, still jumped well.

I wouldn't have thought I"d like it as suggested tune had it feeling really over dampENed just playing around. But, when you got moving it couldn't have been much better. I think I'm sold.

TrumbullHucker

trumbullruxer
Aug 29, 2005
shimzbury, ct
looks good TH!

fwiw: I installed a CCDB coil on loan from a buddy on my dhr and after reading, tweaking and re-tweaking I chased a pretty fast guy down Keystone all day. Noticeably awesomer in every way, other than needing a wrench to adjust mid-ride. I had just rebuilt my fork last night and the bike never rode faster and felt better than it did today. Rear took fast successive hits much better, sucked up the sh!tty brake bumps, still jumped well.

I wouldn't have thought I"d like it as suggested tune had it feeling really over dampENed just playing around. But, when you got moving it couldn't have been much better. I think I'm sold.
yeah for sure ill keep my eye out for a ccdb coil but im in no rush... i counterclocked all the adjustments out and put 140psi with the appropriate rebound on my rc4 and it was rippin.. there arent many big drops at mount snow but daaamn the dh stuff was awesome.

fyi... mount snow is a hell of alot better then i thought!

TrumbullHucker

trumbullruxer
Aug 29, 2005
shimzbury, ct
There's a reason I have two vivids for mine y'all.

And it ain't just because I think gold looks stupid.
totally forgot about that, vivid might be my best bet ($ wise and i can probably get a decent chunk of change for this next to new RC4 i have. would like to get full RS suspension too :p

now to open up another can of words.. why does ( and what year ) the vivid perform better than the fat shaft RC4 for the DW link DHR? or was it already mentioned :doh:

yd35

Monkey
Oct 28, 2008
NY
now to open up another can of words.. why does ( and what year ) the vivid perform better than the fat shaft RC4 for the DW link DHR? or was it already mentioned :doh:
The Vivid offers multiple compression tunes (3 I think) and possibly several rebound tunes (although I've only seen the M tune) so there's one reason it works well with the DHR and most other bikes, granted you get the right tune. For the DHR get the L or low tune which offers the least amount of damping.

eater

Monkey
Nov 25, 2005
Switzerland
I take a ano green on the labor day sale with rc2 shock but have a ccdb coil ready.. Looks like spot on for the light progressiv DW link... Ride a TB650b since 3mt and can't be happyer!! But with 178cm i take the dhr in large reach 41cm...

shelteringsky

Monkey
May 21, 2010
I take a ano green on the labor day sale with rc2 shock but have a ccdb coil ready.. Looks like spot on for the light progressiv DW link... Ride a TB650b since 3mt and can't be happyer!! But with 178cm i take the dhr in large reach 41cm...
Are you getting it shipped to Switzerland or are you in the US? I'm in Australia and saw the Labor Day sale but shipping was going to be too expensive, alas.