Quantcast

'13 Turner DHR sizing/ reviews?

eater

Monkey
Nov 25, 2005
Switzerland
Have RaceFace atlas crank with E13 chainguide for the DHR, any idee how moch spacers under the BB and between BB and crank arms?
Thanks

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
What drive train? I am sure my single speed setup (RF Atlas cranks, E13 guide, Shimano chain tensioner, SS cog) requires a different chainline than your geared bike.

shelteringsky

Monkey
May 21, 2010
@shelteringsky
No i am in switzerland ...
You can Ask them for ship to australia via USPS ....
Yeah, not sure about Europe but shipping anything from US to Australia is ridiculously expensive. Plus, we have to pay 10% sales tax on anything over $1k.

EDIT: do you mind if I ask how much shipping cost?

Thanks for the info, sorry for the diversion and enjoy your ride!

Last edited:

StiHacka

Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
The last iteration of my DHR, now with an 888 CR. :dance: Why do people buy Boxxers?

I managed to smash the SS Alfine chain tensioner during on of the bigger hits today. :rant: Any suggestions for a more robust SS chain tensioner for a DH application?

TrumbullHucker

trumbullruxer
Aug 29, 2005
shimzbury, ct
The last iteration of my DHR, now with an 888 CR. :dance: Why do people buy Boxxers?

I managed to smash the SS Alfine chain tensioner during on of the bigger hits today. :rant: Any suggestions for a more robust SS chain tensioner for a DH application?
because charger damper! :banana:

sh*t i think i was like right behind you in line lol.. there was another monkey there on saturday ( i rode sat and sun )... i think @Pegboy is his name

edit: got a nice big ol dent in my downtube near the BB on maiden voyage.. i NEED a downtube protector; anything other than a tire?

Last edited:

DMdh

Monkey
Oct 26, 2011
Galicia
so I expect to receive a 2012 turner dhr on friday, so I wanted to know how you guys set up the rc4? I saw the recommended settings in their website, are they spot on?
And talking about denting the bb area, anyone knows if there are any protectors aside from a tire?

cheers

yd35

Monkey
Oct 28, 2008
NY
so I expect to receive a 2012 turner dhr on friday, so I wanted to know how you guys set up the rc4? I saw the recommended settings in their website, are they spot on?
And talking about denting the bb area, anyone knows if there are any protectors aside from a tire?

cheers
Yes, the Turner recommended settings are good. You don't need much air pressure or damping with that shock.

TrumbullHucker

trumbullruxer
Aug 29, 2005
shimzbury, ct
the previous pages explain tuning on what type of RC4 you have ( fatter shaft or thinner shaft )
i am tuned with 140psi and everything turned out, with my low speed 2 clicks in and it feels cherry

i bought mastic tape ( 3M 2228 is the product number, google it ) and put two layers near my bb/downtube area

i recently got dinged up pretty bad at jiminy peak. seems like the mastic will do the job though

ocelot

Monkey
Mar 8, 2009
Canadastan
2 layers of mastic tape seem to do the job. I dented my downtube when it had 1 layer on. I haven't peeled back both layers yet, so I'm hoping that it's work well!

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
the previous pages explain tuning on what type of RC4 you have ( fatter shaft or thinner shaft )
i am tuned with 140psi and everything turned out, with my low speed 2 clicks in and it feels cherry

i bought mastic tape ( 3M 2228 is the product number, google it ) and put two layers near my bb/downtube area

i recently got dinged up pretty bad at jiminy peak. seems like the mastic will do the job though
how was jiminy? i'd like to get out there before the end of the season. it's one of my favorite places to ride.

TrumbullHucker

trumbullruxer
Aug 29, 2005
shimzbury, ct
i was just thinking about jiminy this morning lol

steep, tight, and rocky/shaley.. "i" trail was awesome, so much fun. we did the right side of the mountain only once or twice, but the left side is pure gnarly!

it aint no park lol ( although there are some jumps and drops here and there )

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Are you talking about the right side facing down or up from the bottom? G to K is probably my favorite, but it's shockingly easy to get relatively lost there. Were the trails in good shape? The rider's left side of the mountain is way less gnarly, (CBF etc.) and more fun to ride than just eye bleedingly steep.

TrumbullHucker

trumbullruxer
Aug 29, 2005
shimzbury, ct
Are you talking about the right side facing down or up from the bottom? G to K is probably my favorite, but it's shockingly easy to get relatively lost there. Were the trails in good shape? The rider's left side of the mountain is way less gnarly, (CBF etc.) and more fun to ride than just eye bleedingly steep.

i think we are getting our rights and lefts mixed up.. i always think of it staring at the mountain lol
G was steep, i remember that trail... H was very steep with baby heads everywhere, it was washed out to hell. its the race course i believe.

when we went the trail crew was working on the right side of the mountain ( i think B trail ). and when i mean working, one dude chain sawing down a tree and almost crushed us lol (serious, smallish tree though)

we just kept on getting faster and faster on i trail and stuck to the left side of the mountain for some gnar ( we wanted to break away from the highland smoothness haha )

did any of this make sense? i just pounded a strong cup of coffee and i feel like im about to implode

saruti

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
Israel
I found out that using the grease gun is OK
but its better to just tread out the cups, and clean and re grease it by hand. (once in a while)
the grease gun can make the o rings get out of place too.

TrumbullHucker

trumbullruxer
Aug 29, 2005
shimzbury, ct
yeah i dont want to put too much in and have it "blow" an o-ring.. i heard it pushes the old grease out?

If you fill your cheeks with grease you can usually just hold down the zerk with your tounge and spit it into the pivots.

You know....'road trip rules' and stuff.
im trying to picture this in my head and its getting real weird lol

StiHacka

Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
So I broke the Alfine chain tensioner a week ago and with little time for a proper fix between two weekends, I got a little creative with a hack to get the bike back in business. Instead of being properly mounted at the hanger, I just made the tensioner arm rest against the stay with a massive rubber bumper made of an old grip. I got to ride a bit yesterday and the hack seems to be working fine, no chain slap and less chatter from the jockeys, too. Ugly but working great...

DMdh

Monkey
Oct 26, 2011
Galicia
DSC_1203-compressed.jpg
I tested it for first time this weekend and its f....ng incredible, its like my former sunday but pedals better, corners better, and accelerates better.
I have a question about set up. Im pretty close to the recomended settings for the rc4 (9 hsc/10 lsc from full closed), and found it spot on, but I can almost reach the bottom out bumper (only 6-7mm left aprox) just by pushing down when on the pedals. Should I increase de B.out adjustment.? maybe having it full open its not progressive enough. With that said, the rest of the stroke its so controled and smooth.

photo in the crime scene:

yd35

Monkey
Oct 28, 2008
NY
View attachment 118561 I tested it for first time this weekend and its f....ng incredible, its like my former sunday but pedals better, corners better, and accelerates better.
I have a question about set up. Im pretty close to the recomended settings for the rc4 (9 hsc/10 lsc from full closed), and found it spot on, but I can almost reach the bottom out bumper (only 6-7mm left aprox) just by pushing down when on the pedals. Should I increase de B.out adjustment.? maybe having it full open its not progressive enough. With that said, the rest of the stroke its so controled and smooth.

photo in the crime scene:
How much do you weight and what spring do you have? You could be undersprung.

yd35

Monkey
Oct 28, 2008
NY
300 lbs for 71 kg with all gear on. Sag its ok, 21mm = 27%
That sounds OK. Maybe try a 325 spring, but it's hard to find springs in 25lb increments. You could also try putting a tiny bit more air or closing the bottom out adjust a half turn or so. That said, if you like your current setup, you probably shouldn't mess around too much!

yd35

Monkey
Oct 28, 2008
NY
Not on an RC4 but I weigh 175 using a 375 spring. Tried 350, a bit too soft. 400 was a bit harsh. 375 just right!

DMdh

Monkey
Oct 26, 2011
Galicia
fat shaft rc4 kashima. weight 71-72 kg gear on. 350 spring two turns of preload 21mm/27-28% sag, I had 300 but was too soft, had to use too much preload to get sag.
settings after 1 month of testing:
psi: 145
b.o.: 1turn from full open
hsc: 8 from closed
lsc: 11 from closed
rebound: 5-6 from closed