bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
Clean and sober. :)

You guys can totally tell from my posts, can't you. :sneaky:

Anyone know where i can score some stinky kind to celebrate? :monkey:

J

JRB

Congrats, but judging from the bikey thread, you may want to go get juiced up.

ncrider

Turbo Monkey
Aug 15, 2004
Los Angeles
He thats awesome and a great achievement. However, are you sure you didn't just move your addiction from drugs right on over to RM....10,800 posts...you're an addict, but in a much less destructive and more healthy kind of way. :sneaky:

SK6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 10, 2001
Shut up and ride...
Skookum said:
Clean and sober. :)

You guys can totally tell from my posts, can't you. :sneaky:

Anyone know where i can score some stinky kind to celebrate? :monkey:
Awesome!!!! lets open the bubbly!!!!

Pepsi! What were YOU thinking? :think:

:D

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
I think it's great if drugs or booze caused someone problems and they quit (I will be exploring that myself this fall), but in all honesty, you haven't touched ONE beer or taken ONE hit?

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
stinkyboy said:
I think it's great if drugs or booze caused someone problems and they quit (I will be exploring that myself this fall), but in all honesty, you haven't touched ONE beer or taken ONE hit?
:stosh:

reflux

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
G14 Classified
Congrats!! This is most definitely not a small accomplishment. I don't know how you've done it though, we have a family friend who is an alcoholic and it tears all of us apart having to see what she's going through.

Keep up the good work!

Slugman

Frankenbike
Apr 29, 2004
Miami, FL
stinkyboy said:
I'm not calling him a liar, it just amazes me that people can go so long without "a little sumpin sumpin".
It's called will power and dedication... sometime family and freinds are more important than a buzz.

You'll figure that out someday.

EDIT - Congrat's Skookum

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
stinkyboy said:
Nor dropped a hit, nor snorted a line. i lived a lifetime by the age of 21, and while it had it's moments, the inevitable destination of such lifestyle leads to what's usually a short unfulfilled life. Not that i cared, but i decided to try to care to see what it was all about. Needless to say 13 years later i've stuck with it.
i'm happy and i'm very satisfied with the choices i'm now afforded due to leading a clean and sober lifestyle.

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
Skookum said:
Nor dropped a hit, nor snorted a line. i lived a lifetime by the age of 21, and while it had it's moments, the inevitable destination of such lifestyle leads to what's usually a short unfulfilled life. Not that i cared, but i decided to try to care to see what it was all about. Needless to say 13 years later i've stuck with it.
i'm happy and i'm very satisfied with the choices i'm now afforded due to leading a clean and sober lifestyle.

God bless dude! That takes a boatload of strength. :thumb:

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
Skookum said:
In the end, the universe tends to unfold as it should

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
Skookum said:
Not that i cared, but i decided to try to care to see what it was all about. Needless to say 13 years later i've stuck with it.

Congrats. I know so many people that even choosing moderation would have afforded them a much better and fulfilling lifestyle. It's sad to see them waste away their potential in their mid-to-late-30's delivering pizzas and still dreaming of becoming a rockstar while drinking and getting high every night.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
stinkyboy said:
I'm not calling him a liar, it just amazes me that people can go so long without "a little sumpin sumpin".
You can say the cigarrette habit i toted around until 7 or 8 years ago helped satisfy my addictive needs for a bit. But other than the pain killers that i reluctantly took from a broken leg and some Vicoden from an ear ache i had. i subsequently got rid of the Vikes after eating 3 of them. Will power only gets you so far, but making the correct choices of throwing them away and not thinking i've somehow cured myself goes quite a ways.
i really could write a book about the whole issue, but i doubt anyone would read it.
i just think 13 years is a good number, and i really am honestly truly happy, i've seen the other side, i've lived it, and still to some degrees will live it forever. But addiction if untreated eventually dictates to you how you will live your life, through the acceptance of my weakness, i'm afforded more say in my destiny.

Polandspring88

Superman
Mar 31, 2004
Broomfield, CO
Skookum said:
You can say the cigarrette habit i toted around until 7 or 8 years ago helped satisfy my addictive needs for a bit. But other than the pain killers that i reluctantly took from a broken leg and some Vicoden from an ear ache i had. i subsequently got rid of the Vikes after eating 3 of them. Will power only gets you so far, but making the correct choices of throwing them away and not thinking i've somehow cured myself goes quite a ways.
i really could write a book about the whole issue, but i doubt anyone would read it.
i just think 13 years is a good number, and i really am honestly truly happy, i've seen the other side, i've lived it, and still to some degrees will live it forever. But addiction if untreated eventually dictates to you how you will live your life, through the acceptance of my weakness, i'm afforded more say in my destiny.
That sounds like it would be a rather inspirational book. I'd read it, certainly better than reading about a pre-teen wizard.

E

enkidu

Skookum said:
. . . Will power only gets you so far, but making the correct choices of throwing them away and not thinking i've somehow cured myself goes quite a ways.

Awesome! Yes, please do write a book. . . about this, your parents, incredible grandmother and all the trails that you chronicled here. . . with lots of pics. It's going to be a hit. Your gold mine!!

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
enkidu said:
Awesome! Yes, please do write a book. . . about this, your parents, incredible grandmother and all the trails that you chronicled here. . . with lots of pics. It's going to be a hit. Your gold mine!!
i'll make it a comic book just for you. ;)

COmtbiker12

Turbo Monkey
Dec 17, 2003
Colorado Springs
Congrats skookum! That is definitely an amazing accomplishment that shouldn't be undermined by anybody here. :thumb: Maybe biking is your latest addiction ruling your life though? ;) :)

Andyman_1970

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2003
The Natural State
Congrats, that is totally awesome............

I would love to read a book about your journey out of addiction, since I watched my little brother get clean I find it totally intersting.

Andyman_1970

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2003
The Natural State
stinkyboy said:
I think it's called living beyond yourself and a "me" centered existance, realizing that satisfying every whim of an urge we have has consequences and sometimes they affect other people or ourselves in adverse ways.

Our culture is way too "me" oriented and less about putting yourself second and others around you first.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
COmtbiker12 said:
Congrats skookum! That is definitely an amazing accomplishment that shouldn't be undermined by anybody here. :thumb: Maybe biking is your latest addiction ruling your life though? ;) :)
Filling the void with hookers get's you junk funk. i haven't caught a disease from biking yet. :dancing:

N8 said:
Skooks is The Man.
i'd do a few lines with GWB. i just wonder after a heart stoppin binge if he'd wind up hiding under the desk in the oval office worrying about the cops.

"Sir, the secret service agents are here for your protection."

"Nah yer jist all out to get meh! Someone call my dadday he'll fix this, you'll never take meh ta jail!"

Andyman_1970 said:
Congrats, that is totally awesome............

I would love to read a book about your journey out of addiction, since I watched my little brother get clean I find it totally intersting.
i'd much rather do a write-up on Mt. Bike trails and Waffle Houses across America......

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
Andyman_1970 said:
Our culture is way too "me" oriented and less about putting yourself second and others around you first.
Actually selfless and selfish are more intertwined in that i percieve that many times, someone should take selfish decisions in order to achieve a selfless position.
And reverse of that being selfless to a fault can be a means to a selfish end.

But definately the basic premise of making good choices and trying to be selfless is a great and noble aspiration. Finding out how to do that along the way is the fun part, and it's always something that has to be looked at with brutal honesty, down the road on whether or not one was succesful.

It's definately an opportunity and speaking for myself not a given. Better to be in the boat of at least trying to do well for others all the same.

But this is way too heavy of stuff, i think the ability to make a good waffle will suffice to make my day today. i'll be sure to leave a good tip if it's to my satisfaction.

Off to the waffle house to celebrate sobriety.

Broken_Spoke

Mr. Big Hot Pastrami
Feb 26, 2003
Bozeman, MT
wow 13 years is a long time I can't think of anything that I've had going for 13 years well yeha I can but nothing like that. Good job man you prove that there is always hope.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
Skookum said:
Off to the waffle house to celebrate sobriety.
I think you can thank the Waffle House for your continued success.
If anything will keep your sober, it is seeing the toofless druggies bellied up to the bar stool. Last time I was there, an Oxycottin head told me his life story.
It went well with my Patti Melt. ;)