Quantcast

130mm spacing disc hubs

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I would call some manufacturers like Chris King and Phil Wood, and ask them what it would take to switch a disc hub with a road axle.

J

JRB

I heard that even Shimano does something. I know that Hope has some, but I want to do it on the cheap if I can. I have tabs on the cross bike, and need a new rear hub any way. I have one from Wumpus I could use, but I also have some Hayes Mech Ones that could go on there.

J

JRB

FSA makes some wheels too, but I don't want to drop that coin on it. Could I use, say a 105 axle and cones on an XT body???

J

JRB

Yeah - I just learned that Velocity makes some, but need to check with the shop. I really wonder if an XT would work with a different axle.

splat

Nam I am
loco said:
I just want to stay under $100 if I can.
I think your are dreaming.

Can you respace an XT hub ( IE take out a Spacer ) I don't think the Road gruop-os and MT group-os are compatailbe as far as axels go. I know it use to be the case the Off road Used larger Bearingings that the Road stuff , and the axel wasa little thicker for them. But they may have changed , knowing shimano , I doubt it.

J

JRB

splat said:
I think your are dreaming.

Can you respace an XT hub ( IE take out a Spacer ) I don't think the Road gruop-os and MT group-os are compatailbe as far as axels go. I know it use to be the case the Off road Used larger Bearingings that the Road stuff , and the axel wasa little thicker for them. But they may have changed , knowing shimano , I doubt it.
I'm talking about using a 105 or such axle, and using an XT body. I am going to measure hubs now.

OK - I am too lazy to pull an Ultegra wheel, but glancing they look the same. I can use different bearings likely. It's worth trying if I can find some used parts. They use the same skewer, so I am thinking they are the same size axle. I don't know why they wouldn't be. I'm getting the quality book out now.

J

JRB

According to shimano, the bearings and the axles are the same size, so why wouldn't it work to swap axles???

J

JRB

splat said:
Give it a try and lets us know , what have you got to lose ?
I figure, worst case, I'm out $50 while I sell the hubs as I bought them.

Mackie

Monkey
Mar 4, 2004
New York
loco said:
I figure, worst case, I'm out $50 while I sell the hubs as I bought them.
It's not just the axles though - it's the spacers and/or the end caps as well. The 130 or 135 measure is a measure of locknut face to locknut face. You might be able to pull out some spacers or grind down the locknuts.

J

JRB

Mackie said:
It's not just the axles though - it's the spacers and/or the end caps as well. The 130 or 135 measure is a measure of locknut face to locknut face. You might be able to pull out some spacers or grind down the locknuts.
I'm going to use the entire axle and such from a 105 hub that has 130mm spacing. I'll take some pics as I do it. I hope the shop has a hub. If not, I'll order one and do it when I get back from Orlando next week.

J

JRB

Deore hubs are ordered from Cambria, and should be here around the time I get back from Orlando.

*I also ordered some Ritchey disc hubs because they were $40, and I like there stuff. I may send one pair back.

J

JRB

I would spread them if it wasn't ALU. The more I think about it. I know this is going to work. I do have a file and grinder.