Quantcast

140mm on a bike designed for 100?

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
I've been running a 125mm fork(vanilla 125r) on a ss hardtail frame designed around a 100mm fork. The fork has been trashed and i bought a new vanilla. Fox sent me the 2007 vanilla which comes stock with 140mm of travel. No worries i thought, i'll take it apart and adjust the internals to drop the travel down to 100mm. Now that I have it, the f-in thing isnt adjustable. Theres no way i can think of to drop the travel on the new fork.

I was getting excited to finally run 100mm on this bike, and am getting annoyed. I just want to ride. I can try to sell this new fork and come up with some extra money to get the adjustable fox talas, but thats going to be expensive. I am reluctantly thinking about saying what the hell and just running the 140mm on my bike.

so my questions are, will the extra 1.5 inches of travel make a big difference in the ride? Would it be worth it to spend an extra 150$ and get the talas? and basically does anyone have some opinions or idea's that could help me out?

btw, i ride mostly street and dirtjumps, but this is my all around kill-it bike

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Oh yeah, every inch of travel extra translates to a degree slacker HA. I would NOT ride a 140mm fork on a 100mm bike, it would flop and ride like a chopper.

If I was you I'd find another 4" fork, regardless of make (to a point) and run it, as TALAS forks are super expensive. Look at Marzocchi MX series forks, Z1s that you can lower, maybe a used TALAS, or even a Gold Label or Sherman in the 4" travel zone.

Mudpuppy

Monkey
Oct 20, 2001
Port Orchard/Not WSU
I'll trade you my crappy Marz Dj for your new Fox Will!:rolleyes:

If you are out west in my area soon we can try my 4" on your bike though...let you see how it rides with the right length fork. Or I have a 3" too if you want it even steeper. :D

The only way to really tell is to try the fork. On my current bike there is a huge difference between running a 24" front wheel and a 26" front wheel. And that should be less difference.:clue: The bike still rides nice with too steep of a head angle, but it just feels off. As soon as you get on it you can tell that it's not quite right. Your new fork is just a little more difference in the other direction.

Besides, with your bmx background I'd say go for the steeper HA for sure. You should get a 4" fork. A bike that rides perfect is :love: .

kenjikuro

Chimp
Jan 14, 2006
boostindoubles said:
I've been running a 125mm fork(vanilla 125r) on a ss hardtail frame designed around a 100mm fork. The fork has been trashed and i bought a new vanilla. Fox sent me the 2007 vanilla which comes stock with 140mm of travel. No worries i thought, i'll take it apart and adjust the internals to drop the travel down to 100mm. Now that I have it, the f-in thing isnt adjustable. Theres no way i can think of to drop the travel on the new fork.

I was getting excited to finally run 100mm on this bike, and am getting annoyed. I just want to ride. I can try to sell this new fork and come up with some extra money to get the adjustable fox talas, but thats going to be expensive. I am reluctantly thinking about saying what the hell and just running the 140mm on my bike.

so my questions are, will the extra 1.5 inches of travel make a big difference in the ride? Would it be worth it to spend an extra 150$ and get the talas? and basically does anyone have some opinions or idea's that could help me out?

btw, i ride mostly street and dirtjumps, but this is my all around kill-it bike

o_O u mean the new vanilla only stays at 140mm travel and not able to drop it down?

how about u try cutting the spring and reduce it on ur way?

i seen ppl dropping vanilla to 70mm travel.

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
we called fox, and they told us it can't be done. My fork expert buddy took it apart and told me that theres no spacers or room for them. I'll talk to him again and see if we can figure this out. Cut the spring huh? I'll toss the idea out

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
You cut the spring and put in a spacer that doesn't allow the fork to rebound all the way, it can be PVC. It's not too hard.

N

nbrocks

well if you cant lower it and you actualy do want to sell it i might take it for the right price

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
yea, i seriously have no use for this fork. which sucks because i spent a paycheck on it. \
since it has been taken apart once, i'd sell it for $350.

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
Mudpuppy said:
I'll trade you my crappy Marz Dj for your new Fox Will!:rolleyes:

If you are out west in my area soon we can try my 4" on your bike though...let you see how it rides with the right length fork. Or I have a 3" too if you want it even steeper. :D.
craig, sorry bro, i don't think i'll make the trade :p but if i ever find myself heading out to port orchard you'll be the first to know. peace

Tattooo

Turbo Monkey
Jun 5, 2005
OV
Hey man,

I have an 04 DJ1 I'll send you, and do $300 for the fork. It ought to keep you going for the time being.

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
Tattooo said:
Hey man,

I have an 04 DJ1 I'll send you, and do $300 for the fork. It ought to keep you going for the time being.
thanks man, but as soon as i can sell this fork i have another one on the way. :)