Quantcast

14mm drops??

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Was talking to a fellow :monkey: the other day who races Dh, but has his roots in BMX/DJ...he wanted a 26" hardtail for jumping, freeride, and street that would take a 14mm axle hub.

Could one simply use a die grinder or something and increase the size of the horizontal drops on one of the cromo hardtails already available? (Then, of course, find a way to space the BMX hub out to 135mm...) Obviously not warranty-friendly...anyone think it's possible?

Or should he just call Gack and ask for a custom build Speed Demon or something?

MD

Roasted

Turbo Monkey
Jul 4, 2002
Whistler, BC
Depending on the ht and if you can find a good machinist you can probably get the dropouts drilled out to the right size. As for the hub sizing, I don't know sorry.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Dude, I did a 14mm drop just the other day... Nailed it perfectly, to a sweet tranny.. It was sick.

:D

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
I'm gettin' my Foes DHS Tube tomorrow with the Curnett XLD shock and I'm hoping to hit the 30mm drop in Moab tomorrow... Of course, full body armor and full face helmet. That kinda stuff'll getcha killed.

mrbigisbudgood

Strangely intrigued by Echo
Oct 30, 2001
Charlotte, NC
Originally posted by binary visions
I'm gettin' my Foes DHS Tube tomorrow with the Curnett XLD shock and I'm hoping to hit the 30mm drop in Moab tomorrow... Of course, full body armor and full face helmet. That kinda stuff'll getcha killed.
Just make sure someone is there to take a pic. No-one will believe you.

Rik

Turbo Monkey
Nov 6, 2001
Sydney, Australia
14mm dropouts wouldn't be hard to do with a grinder, I couldn't see any issues at all with it, especially on cromo frames that have massive 6mm plate dropouts.
My question is, what hub has 14mm axles? I know a bmx hub could be bastardised to fit, but would the axle be wide enough to fit in the frame?

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
I assume you could just slap in a new axle; 14mm axles for pegs are pretty long, no? Or just order a longer 14mm threaded rod in high-grade steel from a fastener supplier...

MD

mrbigisbudgood

Strangely intrigued by Echo
Oct 30, 2001
Charlotte, NC
I would contact the manufacturer of the frame first, find a machinist second. Unless you have a mill, you don't want to hand machine an otherwise perfect frame.

KonaDude

Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Victoria, BC, Canada.
Why does he want 14mm drops? I think if he picked up a nice rear hub that ran a Quick RElease, or a King with funbolts, he'd have no problems, and those use much larger axles than 14mm, and are some of the best hubs on the market.

Changing the BMX spacing and grinding out a frame aren't a good solution to any problem...

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
I dunno...but that's what he wants. He's a BMXer originally. Personally, the Cortina with the 12mm thru axle sounds good...he might warm up to that if he ever buys a hardtail.

MD

dexter

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Boise, Idaho
first have him buy an endless. second have him get an xt hub with bmx axle/ king hub with fun bolts, rozor rock with their pimp ass bolt on/ or a hadley with the 10mm bolt on and ur good to go my friend
'

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Actually, he ordered got a custom HT with 12mm rear dropouts (vertical), he says!

MD