Quantcast

$150 Apple netbook, sorry I punched you in the face again steve

eaterofdog

ass grabber
Sep 8, 2006
Central Florida
I have been itching to grab one of the nicer netbooks for about a year now. I didn't want to spend a lot on it, as I want to install os x and wasn't sure how well it would work out.

Saw this Asus eee PC 1000 on Craigslist for $150 firm "like new." "Like new" on Craigslist usually means not quite totally ****ed up. But I went over to look at it and it was super clean. I can always reinstall linux and dump it on ebay for $250 if it doesn't work out, so I took the plunge.

I was especially happy to get this model as it has two SSDs (8GB and 32GB) instead of a regular hard drive. Faster, shockproof and silent. Other specs are 1.6 Atom proc, 1 GB RAM, 10" 1024x600 lcd

The install and config was not too bad. I have it running 10.6.1 right now. In addition to installing the netbook mods, I also tweaked the system to make in more ssd friendly. Hibernation and Spotlight indexing were disabled to save wear and tear on the solid states. The system is running on the 8 gig ssd and the user folders are on the 32 gig.

Everything is working! Ethernet, sleep, wifi, bluetooth, multitouch, etc. The computer is faster than I expected. Snow Leopard is also noticeably faster than the original linux os.

I will be changing the ralink wifi card for a broadcom card ($15) so wifi will be airport native instead of using the janky ralink utility. Also upgrading the ram to 2gb.

Real world battery time is 4 hours minimum. Usually 5+ hours.

I also have a jailbroken iPhone with PDANet installed. So I can USB tether them and get free 3G access on the netbook.

eaterofdog

ass grabber
Sep 8, 2006
Central Florida
This thing is sick. I'm streaming music from my desktop computer and surfing the web with Chrome and using about 15-20% of the processor. No lag at all.

eaterofdog

ass grabber
Sep 8, 2006
Central Florida
Solid state mem has a limited number of writes before a sector fails. SD cards, thumb drives, ssds, everything. eee PC specific info. By eliminating these drive intensive tasks (that I don't need anyway), I can increase the lifespan significantly.

Last edited:

eaterofdog

ass grabber
Sep 8, 2006
Central Florida
I snagged a Broadcom wifi card from the parts bin at work. Wireless is now Airport native.

I could use more ram and a new battery soon, but this thing is very nice so far.

eaterofdog

ass grabber
Sep 8, 2006
Central Florida
I have been running chrome as the browser for a couple of weeks. The top of the window is smaller than the other browsers and opens up more screen space. But the flash performance was horrible.
Installed firefox, but will check out chrome again when it's updated.