Quantcast

$1580 Heckler from recent MBA

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Damn, less than $1600 for a well spec'd, well respected full suspension ride?

Sounds like advances in technology at their finest :thumb:

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
I bought my first Heckler in 98 and i am on my 3rd now......incredible bike, the article sums it up perfectly. They call the bike 'durable', but actually, you can beat the living hell out of it and it will hold up just fine.

MTB_Rob_NC

What do I have to do to get you in this car TODAY?
Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
3 years, same Frame/Fork same shock for 2.5 years. JUST had to replace the headset bearings for the first time.

About to buy a new fork today.

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
MTB_Rob_NC said:
3 years, same Frame/Fork same shock for 2.5 years. JUST had to replace the headset bearings for the first time.

About to buy a new fork today.
I'm running a 2001 Z1 ETA on it now.......i tried other forks but i like how the bike handles with a Low 5 inch fork. I need a new fork this one chirps like a bird when i get going fast, because the stanctions are worn silver.......i think i found a spare fork to swap out the the stanctions though. Should be good for another 6 seasons....:hot:

MTB_Rob_NC

Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
Cant Climb said:
I'm running a 2001 Z1 ETA on it now.......i tried other forks but i like how the bike handles with a Low 5 inch fork. I need a new fork this one chirps like a bird when i get going fast, because the stanctions are worn silver.......i think i found a spare fork to swap out the the stanctions though. Should be good for another 6 seasons....:hot:
I am running an 03 125mm Talas and I am about to buy a Marz Z1light with ETA. I am excited about the 20mm through axle, the additional inch of travel when @150mm (for places like Snowshoe, Mammoth where ever else there is some DH) and the ability to run it at 130mm for trail riding. The next thing I will probably do is go to an air shock with a 2.25" stroke to bring the weight back down and give me the 5 3/4" in the rear.

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
MTB_Rob_NC said:
I am running an 03 125mm Talas and I am about to buy a Marz Z1light with ETA. I am excited about the 20mm through axle, the additional inch of travel when @150mm (for places like Snowshoe, Mammoth where ever else there is some DH) and the ability to run it at 130mm for trail riding. The next thing I will probably do is go to an air shock with a 2.25" stroke to bring the weight back down and give me the 5 3/4" in the rear.
Sounds like you got it dialed....yes, the 20mm axle is excellent, it is tuff to give up. I have been looking at some used 125-130mm Fox forks, they are so stiff and have good ride height but not sure i want to step back to QR.....the newer Z1's are too tall IMO.

The extra inch of travel up front would be nice but i like the sketchiness of the low front end on occassions when trailriding......for the big hills i just pull out the DH bike.

I've been speaking the Heckler gospel for like 8 years. Everyone around me buys 'this and that bling thing'......the bike is just incredible. I like how they constantly tweak it from production run to production run.....leads to a dialed product.

MTB_Rob_NC

Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
Cant Climb said:
I've been speaking the Heckler gospel for like 8 years. Everyone around me buys 'this and that bling thing'......the bike is just incredible.
Agreed, even with the newer bling hanging around the trailhead from time to time, I still look at my bike and think, damn you are HAWT :hot:

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
narlus said:
a lot of used bike sellers probably hated to see that article...

There is a guy over on mtbr.com selling a 2000 or 2002 era Heckler and he's asking something like $1,200 for it!

He should read that article and re-think his asking price.

mud'n'sweat

Falcon
Feb 12, 2006
MMcG said:
He should read that article and re-think his asking price.
There are many many way overpriced ad's on mtbr.com. I have seen 5 year old frames trying to be sold at %80 of their original MSRP when they were NEW. :rolleyes:

Aug 6, 2006
Denver, CO
I love my Heckler, I've won xc, dh, 4x races, and a super D aboard it. the only changes I made were the pedals, and maybe went to a shorter stem for dh. It's a great bike. There happens to be a bike looking just like it in the classifieds section....hrmmmm....same color, and the pictures appear to be from my garage too!

Tame Ape

BUY HOPE!!!!!!!
Mar 4, 2003
NYC
I had one in the past. Hated how much lateral flex you would get in a corner, drove me bonkers!

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
dirtygirlmagnet said:
I love my Heckler, I've won xc, dh, 4x races, and a super D aboard it. the only changes I made were the pedals, and maybe went to a shorter stem for dh. It's a great bike. There happens to be a bike looking just like it in the classifieds section....hrmmmm....same color, and the pictures appear to be from my garage too!
That's cool that you've had so much success, but keep in mind that a good rider on a POS bike is going to be faster than a poor rider on a big ticket bike.

Tame Ape

BUY HOPE!!!!!!!
Mar 4, 2003
NYC
dirtygirlmagnet said:
sent you an email about that... If its for realz, then I am sooper intrested.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
narlus said:
well, i wouldn't suggest that the Heckler is a POS bike...
Of course not - the point was that it's likely NOT the bike propelling him to all those wins. At least not a big part of it.

moff_quigley

Why don't you have a seat over there?
Jan 27, 2005
Poseurville
$1600 is a screaming deal for a complete Heckler. I paid $1100 for my frame in 2002. It really is a great bike. I have few nitpicks, but all in all I like it so much I'll probably be keeping it for a while longer.

SDH

I'm normal
Oct 2, 2001
Northern Va.
koffee said:
Where can you find this alledged 1600$ Heckler?

I called SC late last week to inquire about this heckler. I was told by the SC rep. that this add was late in its running, and now there is no way you can get that bike for $1580. The closest the rep estimated was around 2K.

MBA= mountain bike fiction
SC= LAME