Quantcast

160 or 180 dilema

letsgetit

Chimp
Jan 16, 2010
Germany
I've got a 09 SX Trail frame on the way, I am having trouble decideing on a fork. Been out of riding a couple of years and coming from 20 inchers. I will be doing some pedalling and for that reason was contemplating a 160 adjustable, but when I get there I know myself and will want to throw myself off of everythig I can, so I considered a 180, not real big on AIR. Rode MX for years and would trust a coil more any day. Figured I would ask the pros advice. Any suggestions?

I'm also 6' and 200 lbs. at the moment, and at my skinniest (not to mention 3 diffrent srangers thought I had a terminal illness) 175+. I'm alittle rough on equiptment. Probably going to change out the shock spring as well. I know I like a stiff set-up on my MX bikes, if these would be determining factors I would overlook?

AutoPilotOff

Chimp
Jan 4, 2010
Also check your frame warranty before putting a 180 on there. On 08 SXT's and below, the intended use was for no more than 170 and anything higher would void its warranty. Not saying nobody does it, just giving you a heads up. So you should check cause Im not sure about the newer designed SX trail.

quickneonrt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 8, 2003
Staten Island NY
i have an 07 sxt and 180mm is the way to go. i tried a Fox 36 rcx2 but I like it much better with the 08 66 rc3x that is on there now.

There are even guys running triple clamps on the sxt, Fox 40 lowered to 170-180mm

muddy beast

Turbo Monkey
Nov 26, 2005
FWIW, I have an '09 I picked up a couple months ago (twas the last one in their warehouses) and the stock 160mm seems to be the sweet spot.

Any higher and I imagine the head angle would be WAY to raked to handle any real pedaling. As is I find climbing very awkward (not like I bought the bike for climbing...but still).

~Scott

letsgetit

Chimp
Jan 16, 2010
Germany
Yeah, I already ordered a totem. Got a REDICULOUS price on it, it would have been stupid not to buy it. Figure it's better to have too much than wanting more after sinking that kind of money into a fork. Stationed in Germany right now and just found a couple lift access rides not too far away, so I think it should work out pretty good. The old lady isn't quite that strong of a peddaler anyway ;), so I think I will be fine on our little rides. (like that's what I bought mine for :rolleyes:) Thanks all for the input, and happy shredding! :cheers:

Last edited:

toowacky

Monkey
Feb 20, 2010
Pac NW
Yeah, I already ordered a totem. Got a REDICULOUS price on it, it would have been stupid not to buy it. Figure it's better to have too much than wanting more after sinking that kind of money into a fork.
I've got an 09 SXT I which came w/ a 160mm Domain. Rode it for a bit at that, then bumped it up to 180mm. I wouldn't go back to 160 unless I went on a serious gram-counting mission and turned it into more of a trail bike.

As it stands, it's my shuttle/park bike, but I do fireroad climbs w/ it at Black Rock. The extra 20mm didn't really make that much difference climbing, but it's a great mini-DH rig w/ the 180 fork. FWIW, setup-wise, I'm about 195-200 fully geared up, and stuck w/ the stock spring on the Domain w/ 5 clicks LSC; on the back (DHX 4.0), I'm running 600# steel coil with some Pro-Pedal and >180psi in the chamber. I tried the 650# coil which gave me about 25% sag, same w/ the firm RS spring for the fork.

Totem sounds great! As others have said, though, there are warranty issues w/ the 180mm fork.

ENRICO650

Chimp
Jun 28, 2007
The deal breaker is going to be b.b. height, axle to crown of 550mm. like the fox, you will get a 13.5 inches at about 46.2 wheelbase on the medium size. A totem or domain will give you anywhere from .25 to.40 on the plus side at the same wheelbase due to the steep rake on those forks, you can control the travel with the high speed compression and loose about 7 or maybe 9 ounces if you switch to carbon bar and 185mm. rotor.