Quantcast

17 more reasons to keep the yardsale

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
how many more is it gonna take????

http://www.photoreflect.com/scripts/prsm.dll?eventorder?photo=0BDN000F000092&start=0&album=0&adjust=-1

http://www.photoreflect.com/scripts/prsm.dll?eventorder?photo=0BDN000F000203&start=0&album=0&adjust=-1

http://www.photoreflect.com/scripts/prsm.dll?eventorder?photo=0BDN000F000205&start=0&album=0&adjust=-1

http://www.photoreflect.com/scripts/prsm.dll?eventorder?photo=0BDN000F000004&start=0&album=0&adjust=-1

http://www.photoreflect.com/scripts/prsm.dll?eventorder?photo=0BDN000F000233&start=0&album=0&adjust=-1

http://www.photoreflect.com/scripts/prsm.dll?eventorder?photo=0BDN000F000038&start=0&album=0&adjust=-1

http://www.photoreflect.com/scripts/prsm.dll?eventorder?photo=0BDN000F000039&start=0&album=0&adjust=-1

http://www.photoreflect.com/scripts/prsm.dll?eventorder?photo=0BDN000F000064&start=0&album=0&adjust=-1

http://www.photoreflect.com/scripts/prsm.dll?eventorder?photo=0BDN000F000066&start=0&album=0&adjust=-1

http://www.photoreflect.com/scripts/prsm.dll?eventorder?photo=0BDN000F000083&start=0&album=0&adjust=-1

http://www.photoreflect.com/scripts/prsm.dll?eventorder?photo=0BDN000F000240&start=0&album=0&adjust=-1

http://www.photoreflect.com/scripts/prsm.dll?eventorder?photo=0BDN000F000085&start=0&album=0&adjust=-1

http://www.photoreflect.com/scripts/prsm.dll?eventorder?photo=0BDN000F000145&start=0&album=0&adjust=-1

http://www.photoreflect.com/scripts/prsm.dll?eventorder?photo=0BDN000F000152&start=0&album=0&adjust=-1

http://www.photoreflect.com/scripts/prsm.dll?eventorder?photo=0BDN000F000198&start=0&album=0&adjust=-1

http://www.photoreflect.com/scripts/prsm.dll?eventorder?photo=0BDN000F000234&start=0&album=0&adjust=-1

http://www.photoreflect.com/scripts/prsm.dll?eventorder?photo=0BDN000F000239&start=0&album=0&adjust=-1

renegade999

Monkey
Jan 6, 2005
I agree. I was so happy to hear they re-routed us for Sunday. They should have done it thursday.

A big 'heal up fast' to all who hurt themselves.

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
"Oh piss off dude, yardsale rocks, you are just a pussy! Yeah, hardcore extreme fool, if you cant ride it you suck-yeah, I feel like a man when I clean it bro-yeah"

(I am being a smartass-I say beat it with yardsale)

DHJUNKIE

Monkey
Sep 27, 2001
Cromwell, CT
ahahaha look at my moms face when she was getting hit by the bike... shes the 1st picture.. i laugh cuz she didnt get hurt at all.. like a scratch on her leg...

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
I've never ridden the Yard-Sale, nor have I walked it; but after seeing footy of it in Chain Reaction 5, and the pics on the net - it definitely needs to be reviewed as a means to providing a viable DH section.

It does have that "rubberneck" appeal/appall, like the kind that many seek when looking at a car accident, but I think that having an alternative route to take around the Yard-Sale for next year would be a wise decision.

This way, if you are feeling out of your mind enough - you have the option to feed your Kamikaze need.

c2001

Paparazzi
Aug 10, 2001
where everyone is
there's a go around if you don't have the skill. there's also sport and beginner classes.

when it was dry (expert races and everyday, till sunday) it was freaking mint with grippy, rich dirt and PLENTY of people made it w/o incident.

it's up to YOU, not NORBA, to decide your skill level...that's why there's an alternate line. don't blame someone else for your crashes.

hell, seplavy made it down...

Romic tech

Chimp
Jan 15, 2002
cal.
That is me in #5. I cleaned it every time in practice. It is hard because it is at the end of the run. You are tired and breathing so hard that it is easy to make a mistake. Anyway i am still walking and when my ass heals i will be headed to Mamoth.

Roger@Romic

partsbara

Turbo Monkey
Nov 16, 2001
getting Xtreme !
©2001 said:
there's a go around if you don't have the skill. there's also sport and beginner classes.

when it was dry (expert races and everyday, till sunday) it was freaking mint with grippy, rich dirt and PLENTY of people made it w/o incident.

it's up to YOU, not NORBA, to decide your skill level...that's why there's an alternate line. don't blame someone else for your crashes.

my point exactly... don t ride it if ya don t wanna...........

who has the gun to ya head ??????????????

Biscuit

Turbo Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
Pleasant Hill, CA
I have never ridden or personally seen yardsale, and photos never seem to do trails justice...
But, could somebody please explain how this is different than pretty much every race at Northstar?

WheelieMan

Monkey
Feb 6, 2003
kol-uh-RAD-oh
©2001 said:

There was a go around? Dang, sounds like there is no one to blame for crashing except yourself...

Orvan

Mar 5, 2002
Califor-N.I.A.
I feel for the hurt but this thread is almost funny bec it implies that American race courses need to be sanitized.. :think:

I love reading WC race results because of cool nations the racers are from.

Ian Collins

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Pacific Beach, San Diego, CA
two words.....

GO AROUND

if you're afraid then you're not as skilled and not as confident, in that case...go around and work on dialing the alternate....it's really not that much slower, or at least it wasn't in years past....the first year I rode mt snow i tore down the rock garden every single run and never had a problem....barely touched my brakes once....the second time, i was having problems and i couldn't hang....I didn't whine about and cry, I just worked on the alternate....get over it

May 12, 2005
roanoke va
WheelieMan said:
There was a go around? Dang, sounds like there is no one to blame for crashing except yourself...
really, i don't see why these threads are still being started. there is risk involved in any kind of mountain biking, DH espialy. (sp) if your not sure you can clear it, then weight the risks in your mind and go the right speed/take the right line/ race the right class for your skill level. and if you don't, and you hurt your self, don't try and blame it on someone else. and if someone gets hurt, feel sorry for them, learn from their mistake, but don't act like like they're and fallen soilder.

Pip3r

Turbo Monkey
Nov 20, 2001
Foxboro MA
i think the main issue is the fact it could be made much safer than it is, with still the same challenge of skill to it. I loved riding it, obviously i didnt love breaking my leg in it. It was also my first year ever racing there though, I think i could see where Lee is coming from in the fact that this has been going on for years now and it must start to be getting old for racers.

santacruzer87

Monkey
Apr 21, 2005
On my bicycle
mobius said:
Because northstar is cake compared to this.

no no no, the expert course at Northstar is much much harder. I think what made yard sale hard was how you had to commit to the rock garden before you started rolling down the hill. It was like once you started rolling you were commited to the rock garden. Seriously though, when you stop and look at the yard sale rock garden, there's not much to it.

-Ryan

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
yardsale is steeper, w/ bigger between-the-rock gaps than any thing i ever rode @ N*...and i'm pretty sure i rode all the stuff at N*...

tacobelldhr

Monkey
Jun 1, 2005
lake forest
first off....the course "correct me if im wrong" is THE PRO/EXPERT COURSE! the yard sale was not difficult at all if you are in the right class.... most people want to be cool and ride expert and cant ride the course and get pist cuase the wont except the fact that they are not a skilled enough rider to do it , so they get pissed at norba.....seriously ride the rite course people and stop bitching....

Scurry

Monkey
May 9, 2003
Boston
I think the problem is with it is that there are no small mistakes, once you make a mistake your pretty much done for. I was only able to ride it 2 really. On thursday on my second run I crashed there, I think it was a little more slippery then, but you tell me, I shot straight down the left side and went over the bars and messed up my wrist, I was a lucky one though. I liked the challenge, but being a 2nd year DHer it kinda scared the crap out of me, and ruined my weekend. I wasnt able to ride untill sat. in which i took one practice before my race.I didnt think the option line was much better, I had some line planned out that I think would have worked well. Follow the main line, then right before the shoot cut to the right, then go over that big flat rock and roll in, I didnt get a chance to use it though because I double flatted at the top of the course. I must say though, it really does feel good to land that section, even if I only did it once.

biker3

Turbo Monkey
2001 pretty much said it the best. There is no reason to bitch if there is a safe alternate line. If they offered no alternate line at all then this would be a much different story. I've never personally ridden there but it looks rough and I'm sure it is but thats no reason to blame NORBA or anyone else. Injuries happen all the time, maybe not to the complete extent of "yardsale" but Deer Valley in one pro practice session not even sticking around very long I witnessed a broken hand, wrist and a guy getting carried off via ski patrol who apparantly had a broken neck/back. Yes, it had a nice pad to land on to the left but there were MANY other protruding objects that could have caused as much or more damage. At almost every course this year there was "that certain section" where people were getting hurt on, yet I've heard no one else mention them. Im sorry for the people that got hurt but injuries are injuries and this is a risky sport. Unless you get run over by the Team Big Bear Truck mid run I think its up to you to control your bike and body. If you mess up you pay the penalty just the same in most other sports. There is no point in being sore and spoiling others who might enjoy riding it. As said before if you don't like it, don't ride it, its that simple.

Red Bull

Turbo Monkey
Oct 22, 2004
biker3 said:
2001 pretty much said it the best. There is no reason to bitch if there is a safe alternate line. If they offered no alternate line at all then this would be a much different story. I've never personally ridden there but it looks rough and I'm sure it is but thats no reason to blame NORBA or anyone else. Injuries happen all the time, maybe not to the complete extent of "yardsale" but Deer Valley in one pro practice session not even sticking around very long I witnessed a broken hand, wrist and a guy getting carried off via ski patrol who apparantly had a broken neck/back. Yes, it had a nice pad to land on to the left but there were MANY other protruding objects that could have caused as much or more damage. At almost every course this year there was "that certain section" where people were getting hurt on, yet I've heard no one else mention them. Im sorry for the people that got hurt but injuries are injuries and this is a risky sport. Unless you get run over by the Team Big Bear Truck mid run I think its up to you to control your bike and body. If you mess up you pay the penalty just the same in most other sports. There is no point in being sore and spoiling others who might enjoy riding it. As said before if you don't like it, don't ride it, its that simple.
The go-around was little help. It was much slower, and still shot you back into the rocks at the bottom, might i add which were were most if not all the injuries happend, and it becomes even harder at the slow speed you had to do it at...

DHCorky

Monkey
Aug 5, 2003
Headed to the lift...
No, the yardsale is not too difficult for anyone in the expert and above classes. The section is great when it is dry, the option line is not even a consideration. As soon as it rains you are screwed. The races run rain or shine and the course should be designed around this. As you stand at the top of the yardsale in a light drizzle it looks like a completly different monster.

Riding the yardsale is a complete crap shoot aswell. You barely ever make it through consistent. So you find yourself with the personal battle of; taking the option and getting it dialed or push yourself and try and conquer it not worrying about your race time.

skinny mike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2005
for all the people calling the pros who dislike the yardsale pussies, im wondering how many have raced at snow before, have seen the yardsale in person, or have wanted to win? the option line sure aint gonna get you on the podium so you gotta ride balls to the wall. and for those of you wondering, i havent raced at snow nor have i seen the yardsale in person. im just wondering how many people actually know what its like to try and pin it through this "rock garden from hell" at the end of a race run?

tacobelldhr

Monkey
Jun 1, 2005
lake forest
gnurider1080 said:
for all the people calling the pros who dislike the yardsale pussies, im wondering how many have raced at snow before, have seen the yardsale in person, or have wanted to win? the option line sure aint gonna get you on the podium so you gotta ride balls to the wall. and for those of you wondering, i havent raced at snow nor have i seen the yardsale in person. im just wondering how many people actually know what its like to try and pin it through this "rock garden from hell" at the end of a race run?

ummm be quiet....please cause you have never seen it so you dont know ...its easy not hard what so ever...if it is hard then your in the WRONG CLASSSSSS! and that course was not tiring what so ever there was slim to no pedaling aside from the top section... :thumb:

Winger

Monkey
Dec 9, 2003
course isnt too bad... yeah its gnarly when your pushing it the limit, but i took about 10 practice runs and cleaned it everytime being careful and slowly learning to ride it faster... then by race time felt totally confident... i think that mt snow and norba should keep the section.. when it rained, they made a safe, but still technical alt... mt snow and norba was looking out for rider safety... i dont like the guys that didnt ride it saying to take it out tho.. i had a blast on it...

http://www.photoreflect.com/scripts/prsm.dll?eventorder?photo=0BDN000F000018&start=0&album=0&adjust=-1&d=0&nphoto=0BDN000F000019

blt2ride

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2005
Chatsworth
You know it's strange that they would change the "yard sale" section, but they didn't change that step-down at the 2003 Big Bear National. For those of you who don't know, a rider sadly lost her life on that jump and another rider broke his back. In addition to that, there were scores of riders who were injured on that jump and a few other jumps that were built incorrectly.

It's odd that the fine folks at NORBA left that jump alone, and watched people get hurt left and right...

Winger

Monkey
Dec 9, 2003
blt2ride said:
You know it's strange that they would change the "yard sale" section, but they didn't change that step-down at the 2003 Big Bear National. For those of you who don't know, a rider sadly lost her life on that jump and another rider broke his back. In addition to that, there were scores of riders who were injured on that jump and a few other jumps that were built incorrectly.

It's odd that the fine folks at NORBA left that jump alone, and watched people get hurt left and right...
people will always get hurt.... they only closed yard sale for pros, cuz u cant ride the steep shoot in the rain.... the jump at big bear u just had to not be a duck off of.. 2 totally different situations... and the kid that broke his back carcassed into a rebar poll.... that was prolly a little misplace... but still had some rider error

blt2ride

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2005
Chatsworth
Winger said:
people will always get hurt.... they only closed yard sale for pros, cuz u cant ride the steep shoot in the rain.... the jump at big bear u just had to not be a duck off of.. 2 totally different situations... and the kid that broke his back carcassed into a rebar poll.... that was prolly a little misplace... but still had some rider error
The guy who hit the pole was at a different race and a different jump. He broke his neck on the table top that was towards the bottom of the Summit run, which was at the "Gotta Thunder" race.

Winger

Monkey
Dec 9, 2003
blt2ride said:
The guy who hit the pole was at a different race and a different jump. He broke his neck on the table top that was towards the bottom of the Summit run, which was at the "Gotta Thunder" race.
my bad... just saying a jump is a lot different then natural terrein you cant stop on

blt2ride

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2005
Chatsworth
Winger said:
my bad... just saying a jump is a lot different then natural terrein you cant stop on
Yeah, I hear ya. Steep rock sections tend to get pretty scary when they're wet. I just found it strange that when a lot of good riders were getting seriously injuried and a pro rider died on a jump, NORBA didn't make any changes to the course. When that many people are getting hurt on a jump that they made, you would think that they would come to the conclusion that the jump may need to be fixed...