Quantcast

17 more reasons to keep the yardsale

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
......in 2002 Kovarik rode around it every time in Saturday practice....come raceday he didnt ride around it......

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
YS is just dumb. it's not hard (all but one of the expert women went down it), its just the consequences for error are HUGE. if you get off the one safe line for any reason (clipping a pedal on the rock in the middle, or there's a rider down in the line, or someone's going slower than you, etc), you're gonna crash and there's probably a 50/50 chance of you getting seriously injured. doesn't matter how fast/slow you're going, you're going to be landing right in the middle of sharp pointed rocks, or slamming into the (unpadded) trees at the bottom.

oh, and as for the ridearound, thoughtout all of Expert practice I saw one person clean it, and a lot more crash and land in the same rocks that the person would've landed in had they gone straight down it. most people gave up and ran across the rocks.

(oh yeah, and love the people in CO or Aus who say to suck it up and ride it. too funny...)

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
At some point folks have to take personal responsibility for their own safety. If the course is dangerous or so unforgiving that any error is going to lead to major injury, which may very well be the case with the Yardsale, don't ride it, ride the alternate. If the alternate is dangerous don't ride it either. Tell NORBA that you aren't racing because of it. But just because NORBA leaves it in doesn't force you to do it.

Pros have protested courses before, where's the protest?

Sgt Brown

Monkey
Feb 19, 2002
Trabuco Canyon, CA
They need to take this section out. Correct me if I'm wrong, but in the last three years, has this section been in the pro final? Every year people get hurt, it rains, and they route the final to the alt line. So why have it at all? So spectators can watch people carted off in practice and in qualifiers.. Lame...

The best part is Pro racers getting completely FU$%ED on points due to this super gnar gnar section. Norba decided since they changed the course (again) for the final, pro qualifying points were not counted at this race. Counted all year, but not this race. So the over all points race was tight for 3rd and 4th. If points had counted for qualifying, Needles would have been 3rd overall for the season since he qualified 2nd. But, nope, Norba trips on their dicks again, and a dedicated rider gets to take it in the a$$.... Good job guys.. Keep up the good work....

And you all keep supporting them, and their redneck descisions, so you can show how great your skills are in sport class, while the guys who are taking the real risks are picking themselves up off the dirt..

Apr 9, 2004
Mount Carmel,PA
DHJUNKIE said:
ahahaha look at my moms face when she was getting hit by the bike... shes the 1st picture.. i laugh cuz she didnt get hurt at all.. like a scratch on her leg...
Tell your mom sorry, that was my boy. he has a hailine crack in his wrist, but is ok. he actually cleaned that section 12 times all weekend, slipped a pedal in his race run and lost it when it counted.We agree, scrap the yardsale for somthing equally technical, but with less consequence if you crash it.

Hydraulicman

Monkey
Sep 25, 2001
Belgium
To give an example, this is the Bad wildbad course in germany, wet and muddy rocks all over the place when it has rained :dancing:

If you fall, you know it's gonna hurt, but you just can't think about that, can't you ... :think:

Attachments

partsbara

Turbo Monkey
Nov 16, 2001
getting Xtreme !
Hydraulicman said:
To give an example, this is the Bad wildbad course in germany, wet and muddy rocks all over the place when it has rained :dancing:

If you fall, you know it's gonna hurt, but you just can't think about that, can't you ... :think:
nice piccies... as i said on page 1... looks just like bwb.... gnaaaaaarrrrrrrr

you goin to the namur race ???

i m there but i can t ride... broken wrist :(

renegade999

Monkey
Jan 6, 2005
Let's all post pictures of which chute-to-rock garden is nastier and argue about the difficulty on the interent.

Sgt Brown

Monkey
Feb 19, 2002
Trabuco Canyon, CA
Hydraulicman said:

Wow, that is enough to make anyone's butt pucker.. Pic one is almost funny.. Looks Kinda like the one rock section in Deer Valley on steriods... Thanks for the pics..

dhmtbj

Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Boston
tacobelldhr said:
first off....the course "correct me if im wrong" is THE PRO/EXPERT COURSE! the yard sale was not difficult at all if you are in the right class.... most people want to be cool and ride expert and cant ride the course and get pist cuase the wont except the fact that they are not a skilled enough rider to do it , so they get pissed at norba.....seriously ride the rite course people and stop bitching....
right cause mick hannah sucks at riding bikes... :monkey:

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
Hydraulicman said:

Yeah well this is America here and we lash-out, Suzzie (sue), and seek others for blame when we cant make proper judgement on our own.........so take your rock gardens And.....

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
Sgt.Brown:
They need to take this section out. Correct me if I'm wrong, but in the last three years, has this section been in the pro final? Every year people get hurt, it rains, and they route the final to the alt line. So why have it at all? So spectators can watch people carted off in practice and in qualifiers.. Lame...
The best part is Pro racers getting completely FU$%ED on points due to this super gnar gnar section. Norba decided since they changed the course (again) for the final, pro qualifying points were not counted at this race. Counted all year, but not this race. So the over all points race was tight for 3rd and 4th. If points had counted for qualifying, Needles would have been 3rd overall for the season since he qualified 2nd. But, nope, Norba trips on their dicks again, and a dedicated rider gets to take it in the a$$.... Good job guys.. Keep up the good work....
And you all keep supporting them, and their redneck descisions, so you can show how great your skills are in sport class, while the guys who are taking the real risks are picking themselves up off the dirt..
...well put Sarge - couldn't have said it better myself.

Truth is the top Pros probably don't like the Yard Sale section any more than the other riders... but you won't hear that from them. It's just part of the job, but at the same time it shouldn't mean having to jeopardize their life unneccesarily just to get some points or a win.

If you are a good rider, it's easy to sit back, piss in the face of everyone else, and brag about how amazing your riding skills are or be condescending to others telling them to ride in a lower class...

But who I'm talking about are the other really good riders out there who are perfectly capable of ripping the Yard Sale section, but due to one small mistake have suffered serious injury.

It's like what Dante was saying - no matter HOW good you are the penalty for making the smallest of mistakes is extremely grave. Look at what happened to Hannah. That could have been a lot worse.

Culpability lies at the feet of both the rider AND NORBA when it comes to this issue. The rider for choosing to take the risk, and NORBA for using this part of the course without reducing some of the risk to the riders.

It was mentioned in another Mt. Snow/Yard Sale thread that UCI World Cup events MUST meet certain safety requirements before they can be opened for racing - there was a pic posted of Sam Hill ripping it on a UCI course and there was some padding strapped to some boulders jutting out just off the course.

So to everyone who is getting high off their own testosterone fumes saying that those who have concerns for safety on NORBA courses are lousy riders, then you are also saying that every pro who rides UCI with its safety regulations is a pussy.

Still think you're the sh!t for clearing the Yard Sale and that safety dosen't have to be kept in check by NORBA? Fine - all it's gonna take is for one well known pro to get his ticket punched on a poorly designed course before everyone decides to re-evaluate the safety regulations.

heikkihall

Monkey
Dec 14, 2001
Durango, CO

heikkihall

Monkey
Dec 14, 2001
Durango, CO
Sgt Brown said:
Did they count qualifying for Women? I am pretty sure that Berny lost the overall title for the same exact reason. After her 1st place qualifier and 1st in the finals she should have had enough points to take the overall. I might be mistaken though.

RD

Monkey
Jul 31, 2003
Boston, MA
heikkihall said:
Did they count qualifying for Women? I am pretty sure that Berny lost the overall title for the same exact reason. After her 1st place qualifier and 1st in the finals she should have had enough points to take the overall. I might be mistaken though.
yo H-dawg, how's the wrist?

intensified

Monkey
Mar 31, 2004
Canton,Ma
http://www.photoreflect.com/scripts/prsm.dll?eventorder?photo=0BDN000F000213&start=0&album=0&adjust=-1&d=0&nphoto=0BDN000F000214

I like the yardsale,,,, but it isn't a good idea to put a section in that might need to close down if it rains or snows. The ys was open from thur, to sun, 4 days, that can be a crapshoot on wheather in New England. It is a steep section,and the rocks are big at the bottom.
I found it to be safe going thru but managed to shoulder check a tree next to the jump on the bottom durring the race but was pefect in practice after feeling it out a couple of times. I saw some video of a crash from the top to the bottom and it looked kinda bad. People got hurt in other places there,,, ,, it really just sucks seeing people get hurt and having to deal with it,, but that is :Partially why this isn't a huge sport because you might not make it to work on Monday after riding your bike down a MTN. Reminds me of a chocolate milk comerc

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
heikkihall said:
Ha! That is Cliff Pinto the owner of Pedal The PEaks bike shop in Durango CO. He walked away from that without a scratch on his body. He admits that he was just trying to go too fast and didnt touch his brakes until it was too late and he was allreayd on the rocks. He got up and still took 6th place in EX 19-24.
nicely done. on another note, how does a 24 year old become a bike shop owner?

Hydraulicman

Monkey
Sep 25, 2001
Belgium
partsbara said:
nice piccies... as i said on page 1... looks just like bwb.... gnaaaaaarrrrrrrr

you goin to the namur race ???

i m there but i can t ride... broken wrist :(
Don't know yet, gotta go on exercise with the army the next day, perhaps I'll only come and watch and take loads of jupiler with me :sneaky: , perhaps i'll ride.

Heal soon m8

Sgt Brown

Monkey
Feb 19, 2002
Trabuco Canyon, CA
gangstamaxx said:
i think it should stay in the course, you can go around if you dont like it...
It's not about liking it or not. It's about the last 3 years Norba has removed it before the pro final due to weather or too many people getting hurt. The section never makes it to the final, so why bother riders risking their health practicing something they will not get to race.. it's lame, and needs to go..

rigidhack

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2004
In a Van(couver) down by the river
Take this FWIW, but as a spectator I thought the Yard Sale section was just stupid. On Sunday it was closed off and the go around was claiming enough riders to make crash watching entertaining - if you are into that sort of thing. It seems to me that the section is all about carnage. There are more than enough other sections of the course that will test a rider's skill. To be perfectly honest I enjoyed watching the race much more on other sections than the Yard Sale.