Quantcast

180 MM cranks

R

RideMonkey

I have been riding 180's since the dawn of time. I have very long femurs and it always seemed natural to me.

Now that I have been road riding a lot, something startling has happened. I think that I am actually developing pedaling technique. The 180's on my MTB don't feel so great anymore.

I was also watching Lance decimate Jan on the climbs with his astounding high RPM climbing style. I have been working on this on my road bike (175's) and its great. Hard to do on 180's though.

Any thoughts on crank length?

oldfart

Turbo Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
North Van
Check out Velonews.com. They recently did a test with 3 riders of short medium and tall sizes with cranks of various lengths. The results were surprising. I think the 155 cranks were amongst the best for all riders including Zinn whos about 6'7".

muddywolf

Chimp
Jul 1, 2001
somewhere in the desert
I noticed a big difference in power when I switched to 180. I love the leverage, I was able to pound the pavement so much faster, but I gotta agree, they dont spin for a damn.
you guys have me curious, I'll have to break out one of my old short crank sets and run them for awhile.