Quantcast

1st Annual Broken Spoke Festival - Bellingham, WA

Ridemonkey

This is not an active account
Sep 18, 2002
Toronto, Canada
WWU Cycling and Atura Recreation announce the first annual Broken Spoke Festival to be held September 24th and 25th 2005. Featuring the Deadfall Downhill and Sidewinder Cross Country races plus the non-competitive Community Cruiser Ride. The event promises to be an innovative and fresh approach to mountain bike racing in the Northwest. The event is to include live entertainment, a cycling vendor exhibition, bicycle games and fun, beer gardens, a private party at a local college watering hole and many other outdoor and cycling activities.

The Broken Spoke Festival is more than just a race; the weekend isn’t over when you cross the finish line. With Festival grounds located at beautiful Larrabee State Park, and races throughout the trail system of the Chuckanut mountains, The Broken Spoke Festival is sure to impress any lover of the outdoors.

The Broken Spoke Festival – Do you ride?

Event details can be found online at www.brokenspokefest.com

mplutodh1

Monkey
Nov 27, 2002
Sammamish, WA
Yup, no info right now Rhino. We are working hard to get the site up in the next few weeks. I threw that page together so it would have something other than "Under Construction"

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
mplutodh1 said:
Yup, no info right now Rhino. We are working hard to get the site up in the next few weeks. I threw that page together so it would have something other than "Under Construction"
That is OK I will just have to keep checking back.....

9/24-25 eh? Better get to prep'n the courses. :)

IslandGirl

Chimp
May 24, 2005
You guys are doing an awesome job, keep up the good work. I'm looking forward to celebrating with you all at the finish line!! Gerry Ebalaroza *:)

mplutodh1

Monkey
Nov 27, 2002
Sammamish, WA
Ridemonkey said:
Festival grounds located at beautiful Larrabee State Park, and races throughout the trail system of the Chuckanut mountains
Chuckanut trail system is where the racing will be. Details will be online ASAP, I am pulling all nighters to get the site up.

kicknitLivE

Monkey
Jul 12, 2004
Boulder
How does chuckanut compare to Galbraith? I was pretty surprised and impressed at the improvements to the trails on Galbraith compared to last year.

mplutodh1

Monkey
Nov 27, 2002
Sammamish, WA
kicknitLivE said:
How does chuckanut compare to Galbraith? I was pretty surprised and impressed at the improvements to the trails on Galbraith compared to last year.

Well besides the obvious that it's a few miles away and similar terrain but not the same. Depends on what you are looking for. The courses won't have any wooden stunts like Galbraith does in places. There are a lot of trails on Galbraith and it's hard to compare with Chuckanut. The DH at Chuckanut will be fast, upper section is tight in a few places, off camber corners, roots, ruts, bermed corners. XC Has a bit of everything but again, tight, rooty.

Best way to find out, come to the event!;) You aren't that far away.

joelsman

Turbo Monkey
Feb 1, 2002
B'ham
no kamakazi style down the old road to the bottom.

double black diamond is very rooty mostly fast single track

mplutodh1

Monkey
Nov 27, 2002
Sammamish, WA
I was hoping to not say too much about course specifics just yet but, DH course will go down Double Black, then drop out onto Fragrance Lake Road for a pedal to finish.

erikkellison

Monkey
Jan 28, 2004
Denver, CO
Thanks for the heads up Joel, and thanks for letting a little out of the bag Matt. If I'm around, I might actually race, and it'd be nice to know what I ought to learn to ride, even if it's a little unfair to the non-locals. I have to get an advantage somehow since my riding won't give me one :)

mplutodh1

Monkey
Nov 27, 2002
Sammamish, WA
RhinofromWA said:
I think the site has been updated :)
Rhino is correct. The site went live a little before 4a.m. today. Have a few items to still get up (ie-course maps, downloadable registration form) but it's up. We are working on another press release for this week also.

If you are in WA be sure to watch cable TV between now and the event, our commercials started airing today.

Hope to see everyone in September!

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
mplutodh1 said:
Rhino is correct. The site went live a little before 4a.m. today. Have a few items to still get up (ie-course maps, downloadable registration form) but it's up. We are working on another press release for this week also.

If you are in WA be sure to watch cable TV between now and the event, our commercials started airing today.

Hope to see everyone in September!
If I have questions about the event do I ask them here? Thanks.

mplutodh1

Monkey
Nov 27, 2002
Sammamish, WA
Official Press Release

Broken Spoke Festival
4152 Meridian St #105-203
Bellingham, WA 98226
Informational Hotline: 1.866.403.BIKE
www.brokenspokefest.com

The 2005 Broken Spoke Festival will be held at Larrabee State Park outside Bellingham, WA. A celebration of cycling, recreation and Pacific Northwest living, the festival boasts of a number of exciting events including:

The Community Cruiser Ride… A relaxing and enjoyable cruiser ride that leaves from the Bellingham Farmers Market on the morning of September 24th and leisurely travels down the Interurban Trail. This ride boasts of incredible ocean side views of Bellingham Bay and the San Juan Islands and travels along the edge of the temporal coast foothills of the North Cascades. See website for details.

The Chuckanut Brewfest… Enjoy live acoustic music from local bands La Push, Yambique, Quick Draw String Band, Buckle Busters, and more. Have a great time at the family-friendly Chuckanut Brewfest with food, beverages, and games for all age groups. See website for details.

The Deadfall Downhill… An exciting downhill course through the Chuckanut Mountains. This gravity-assisted course will take riders through the technical trail network found in the temporal rainforest of the North Cascades coastal foothills. Come ride or watch. See website for details.

The Judge Cross-Country… Do you Ride? If so, this ride will challenge your riding abilities. Riders will climb from just above sea level to over 2,000 feet up a double track trail. Riders will navigate down the intricate trail systems of the Chuckanut Mountains. Come ride or watch. See website for details.

Come to enjoy the final days of summer at the Broken Spoke Festival 2005.

www.brokenspokefest.com

mplutodh1

Monkey
Nov 27, 2002
Sammamish, WA
Bands are all booked, stunts are almost completely built, kegs are lined up and plenty of swag is rolling in!

Awesome raffles from Raleigh Bicycles, Kore USA, Selle Italia, Elite, Hincapie Sports, Mt. Borah, WWU Cycling, Park Tool, Leatherman, Transition Bike, Superfeet, Fuelbelt, Skinz, Fanatik Bike Co., plus more!

Don't forget to register before the 19th.

Parking information is now online, shuttles to and from the Festival provided by Bellair Charters. Free off-site parking in Fairhaven.

Teams wishing to drop off gear / tents can do so Saturday and Sunday morning starting at 8am on a first come first served basis. Limited space. No vehicles will be allowed to park in this area, only to drop off gear.

Any vendors/companies interested in having space in the Vendor Fair must contact us ASAP at info@brokenspokefest.com.

Limited supply of T-Shirts so order when you register to assure you get one!

Festival map is now online, (note the arrows on the XC course are backwards, our graphic designer is fixing this)

Check the website for updates in the days ahead. Hope to see you at the festival!

mplutodh1

Monkey
Nov 27, 2002
Sammamish, WA
Less then 3 days until Pre-Registration closes, be sure to register online this weekend!

News:
Transition Bike Company donating swag and Trail-or-Park Frame!
Team will be doing course prep this weekend.

Youth Race will be held both Sat/Sunday as part of the Bicycle Rodeo hosted by the WWU Cycling Club. Goodies for all the participants, no cost for the kids to race. (age restrictions apply)

mplutodh1

Monkey
Nov 27, 2002
Sammamish, WA
Due to demand, pre-registration will remain open until Thursday Sept. 22nd @ 12 midnight.

Be sure to get your T-shirt when you register, limited supply.

Rumor (and posts on RM) have it that a few folks will be dressing up in costumes for the Festival, why not give them a little competition, we might even throw in an award for the best dressed!